Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Loving Immigration (today anyway)

Loving Immigration (today anyway)

Old Jul 29th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough
Default Loving Immigration (today anyway)

Just wanted to say I went to collect mine and my daughters passports and from Immigration today and they have stamped them for A WHOLE YEAR...!

Totally astounded - I have not even put my citizenship papers in yet altho will have them in this week (did not have the 200 bucks to process them until now)

So today is my official I LOVE IMMIGRATION day...

S
Old Jul 29th 2008, 1:26 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Loving Immigration (today anyway)

Congarts Shines.. well done...
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

WOW! Lucky you! That's great!
Old Jul 29th 2008, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks ladies, I was actually smiling in Immigration - not something that happens often..!

Got to go bak this week to drop my papers in and get my daughters student visa sorted then thats it for a year - yay yay yay!!
Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:09 pm
Saturday Surfer

Netsirk is an unknown quantity at this point

Woooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

**doing an immigration dance in hopes the karma will rub off**

:-D
Old Sep 17th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Shines, send some of that good karma you had a while back! I'm having the usual delays at Immigration from my request for visitor extension. They still have my passport (after more than a week) and I have to leave on the weekend!

My planned tactic is to keep calling them in the hopes that they'll get annoyed with me and give it back by Friday Otherwise, I will have to ask for it back without the approved extension. No choice!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Foxy
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

I know a few oter people that are having issues with immigration right now. Passport they want to hold onto for 2mths.....other's getting grief for not being a married couple even tho' they are getting married...but not quick enough for immigration!

Not sure what's going on down there.....wish they would get a shifty on!
Old Sep 17th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh my... 2 months. Now that is scary.

Would have been easier to make a jaunt to St. Lucia for a day

I was not able to get through when I called Immigration today (rang repeatedly, but nobody picked up). I'll try again tomorrow, bright and early. Barring that, I'll have to go down and ask for my passport back without the extension. Then start all over again. UGH!

Thinking positive thoughts...
Foxy
Old Sep 17th 2008, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Foxy,

I know there has been some kind of shake up there and all Guyanese people are having to go in to fill on a new form. A Guyanese friend of mine was stopped by police yesterday and was told to go to Immigration today and sort out the forms. He is here on a work permit...

I have no other info on this, only what he told me, but this may be causing the delay...?!?!

Good luck, only other thing to do is go down there in the pm, around 1ish, when hopefully quieter and try to see someone...

S
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Hey Foxy, (anyone please correct me if I am wrong), but as long as they have your passport you are still in status IMO, irregardless of the date stamped in it-- they know where you are presumably. I would wait them out and see what they do, it may just be backlog. A while back they went through this thing where you had to turn up there on the date that it expired, not any earlier (who know s what happens on Saturday and Sunday) which left you overstaying for as long as they had the passport.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, for the info.

My biggest problem is that I need to fly out on Sunday. So I need the passport Friday at the latest, whether or not the extension is approved.

Zanne, I think you are right - someone else also told me that as long as they have my passport, I'm not breaking any rules. I've got the receipt from the application, as well, to show I applied. Don't know how much that would help me if I have to pull my passport from the process though... my fear is that it will look like I simply overstayed my welcome by 2 weeks.

*sigh* where is that work permit when I need it...
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Wagxl is an unknown quantity at this point

I am retired, and want to live in Barbados. But I have a child who must attend school. We carry U.S. passports.
Must we emigrate in order to live there throughout the school year, or can we just go as tourists and enrole in a private school?
What are the requirements & hassels for a US citizen to emigrate to Barbados if he is retired and does not need a job?
Old Sep 19th 2008, 1:06 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Waxgl.. I'd suggest talking to the immigration deptartment about your situation. There is something with regards to having enough money to reside in Barbados and not work, being ok.. or things like.. purchasing a restaurant etc etc.. showing that you have enough money to sustain yourself. I could be wrong and this may have changed over the years.. this is why I suggest you ask about this. I do know several retired person who have settled here, but most if not all are either Barbadian who left and returned after many years, or the spouse of a Barbados (again who left and returned).

Re the child in school.. All schools, public or private, require the child to have a student visa.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 5:37 am
Just Joined

brandnu20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie moving from Florida to Barbados. My hubby's parents are from BIM & his father currently resides there. We have 3 kids & a dog. Any input on bringing a car/furniture/children (4,6,8 yrs old) ?
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 9:44 am

I've just move some items from NC to Barbados.. been in the port since 4 Sep and still there.. but have understood that is normal at the moment.

While things are expensive here, you may find that purchasing some of your furniture here might be better than shipping.

Re the children, read some of the posts about school, but I'm partial (as you will read) to St. Gabriel's (as that is where my children are) and St. Angelas/St. Uruslas. These are private primary schools (St. Ursulas is a private secondary girls only).

The educational system is very good on the island and all children are in school from age 4 years.

There are other things to consider. if your husband was not born here, he, through his parents, can still get citizenship.. but it may take a while. he and you would still need a work permit until that comes through.

there are many threads that cover these things on this board, so just read through and see what you can find. and ask questions.. no problem

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.