Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Lots of helpful advice needed for relocation to Barbados.

Lots of helpful advice needed for relocation to Barbados.

Old Dec 28th 2008, 12:39 am
Just Joined

ukbajan is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Lots of helpful advice needed for relocation to Barbados.

Hello all and happy new year.

I've been reading a lot on this forum about moving to Barbados and I'd like some advice on how to proceed a move from the UK. Lots of questions - sorry.

My late father was from Barbados but moved to the UK when in his early 20's until his passing (he became a UK citizen a few years before he passed away)

I have a half brother from my father's past relationship and lots of other family who live in Barbados.

I went over for a month or so and loved it. I felt like I'd come home although I was well aware I would have to adjust a lot to live there (biting my lip agt poor customer service was one of those things :P). My son was very keen to stay there and then.
I was shocked at how expensive it was but then I was also living like a tourist for the most part, even though I stayed with family.

So I have had the form for citizenship for a while now and just need to get a copy of my father and mothers marriage certificate to complete the form.
But what then? I understand I will have to have an interview as well. Is there any else I need to know on that score? Does this give me entitlement to work in Barbados. Do I need to also apply separately for my 12 year old son?

How best is it to proceed with renting a small modest apartment and what is the general procedure? I pretty much fell in love with Oistins but it seems uber expensive.

I would be looking for something near to a good school. Any recommendations on schools would be much appreciated. He's great at adapting so I'm not too concerned about that but I don't want his grades to slip via a bad school.

Lastly when it comes to work I'm a bit of a jack of all trades.
I am actually a qualified nursery nurse by profession. And by the time I moved over there I would have a qualification in massage therapy and some beauty treatments.

I also have experience in PR (web design, promotions, and entertainment, but not sure there is anything out there that requires that.

I really wanted to set up my own business there, preferably massage therapy and other holistic treatments.

Does anyone have any advice on how best to proceed with setting up business and tax etc.

I'm self employed in the UK and pay my own tax so used to the paperwork, but Barbados is a whole new kettle of fish.

O.k I've rambled so I'm sorry for that. I really appreciate any advice I can get.

Thank you so much.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 3:30 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of helpful advice needed for relocation to Barbados.

Hi UK Bajan

I can offer some help and hopefully others will pitch in where i dont know or get it wrong lol

Firstly re your questions regarding citizenship and your son i think you would do well to ring the barbados high commision (think they are in tottenham court road or holborn) and ask your questions because you will at least get consistent advise there - here immigration is struggling to say the least. You may also be able to actually apply for stuff in the uk cos once it gets into the system here you could be waiting for years!

There are a lot of threads on here on accomodation and schools so you will learn a lot reading through them. Im not far from oistins and love the south coast - the cost of accomodation varies wildly from $800Bds for a 1 bed throught to $3000 for a 3 bed. However i know people paying $1300 for a 3 bed. Unfurnished is cheaper here but obvioulsy then you gotta collect all the furniture together which is definitley not cheap!

Re setting up a business when you get to that stage i can give you more specific advise but i have a business here and you need a laywer to set the actual incorporation up and then you need a work permit to work for it(all lots of money)! RE physiotherapy etc i understand from what others have said that you also need a practitioners licence which costs. If you got your citizenship before coming you would not need a work permit but cannot work until you get it or a temporary work permit. All the work areas you have mentioned are highly competitive here with both locals and foreigners competing for customers.

The best advise i can give is be prepared for a long road ahead but hang in there cos once you get thru its would be worth it - we are extremely lucky that if all else fails we loose nothing by going back to the uk and picking up again.

Im happy to help where ever and have msn and yahoo if you have lots of questions a conversation might be easier.

Good luck

Dipidy
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

Dipidy

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer.
I have read a lot of threads on here about school etc and I did learn a bit but as things change like the wind I did want up to date information and you have been most helpful in letting me know a few things those threads didn't say.

After Christmas I will indeed go and see them at the high commission. I have a funny feeling I will need to get paperwork for my son anyway which is something I did not receive. It's weird the form doesn't look that complex and I'm wondering if they actually sent me the right one.

I think I'll start the ball rolling and give myself a year to save - because as you say lawyers aren't cheap.

Good to know about the practitioners license too. Is that a Bajan one or will the one I get not be suitable?

Thanks for the advice and if you don't mind I will take you up on the offer for msn conversation. It would be great to be able to talk in real time.

Happy New Year and speak soon.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

eek have to do another post to PM you my details for yahoo and msn.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point

UK Bajan,

In terms of citizenship, you will not need an interview, just fill in the appropriate paperwork it does not that long if done in the UK - I have several contacts in the Barabdos High Commission in London as I was on a couple of their committees. It's called citizenship by descent.

Once you have that - yes you can work in Barbados all day long!, and some of the other parts of the Caribbean as well - providing you have some formal qualifications.

Several schools to choose from - however you will have to apply to Ministry of Education first, you will also need to get a student Visa until as such time as his citizenship comes through. The Ministry will probably make him sit a test to determine his status - the best schools in the island are Harrison College & Queens College, but very hard to get into ..... private schools for Boys are Dottins Academy.

Oistins is pretty reasonable - so not sure where you've been looking ... you can get a place in Enterprise for around $1200 to $1600 for a decent 2 bed apartment - slightly more expensive in Atlantic Shores, cheaper still in Ealing which are all close together .... there is also Maxwell - but not sure of prices there.

Setting up your own business especially in massage etc ... lots of them here and i don't know anyone doing that well in it! My advise is do what I've done come down try and get a job even if its not great money and build a network and research the fields you want to go in .... then after a year or so launch .,. there are gaps in all markets - just requires some hard work and good planning.

Good luck!
Old Dec 30th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Mad Q, good tip on the job front...that is my life right now too but after working 9 mos. I am seeing the way forward. So it is totally possible. Get your contacts, a bit of local experience and move on.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mad Q
UK Bajan,

In terms of citizenship, you will not need an interview, just fill in the appropriate paperwork it does not that long if done in the UK - I have several contacts in the Barabdos High Commission in London as I was on a couple of their committees. It's called citizenship by descent.

Once you have that - yes you can work in Barbados all day long!, and some of the other parts of the Caribbean as well - providing you have some formal qualifications.

Several schools to choose from - however you will have to apply to Ministry of Education first, you will also need to get a student Visa until as such time as his citizenship comes through. The Ministry will probably make him sit a test to determine his status - the best schools in the island are Harrison College & Queens College, but very hard to get into ..... private schools for Boys are Dottins Academy.

Oistins is pretty reasonable - so not sure where you've been looking ... you can get a place in Enterprise for around $1200 to $1600 for a decent 2 bed apartment - slightly more expensive in Atlantic Shores, cheaper still in Ealing which are all close together .... there is also Maxwell - but not sure of prices there.

Setting up your own business especially in massage etc ... lots of them here and i don't know anyone doing that well in it! My advise is do what I've done come down try and get a job even if its not great money and build a network and research the fields you want to go in .... then after a year or so launch .,. there are gaps in all markets - just requires some hard work and good planning.

Good luck!
Thank you, Mad Q. I appreciate you taking the time to advise me further.
My son goes to a private school now, however I will not be earning the money I do now when I finally move but I will still check out those options.

In regards to business; after some research and discussion I think my chosen profession would not be a storming hit so the advice to try and get a job and make connections seems most sensible. I understand I will need to get the Bajan equivalent of the therapist cert anyway.

I think the key will be patience and some degree of networking. I don't plan to move until I get my citizenship anyway. And even then I will start with a spell on the island to see if we both can adjust to the dramatic change of pace. I got some excellent advice from serendipidy which made a lot of practical sense.

Thanks once again.
Old Dec 30th 2008, 5:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by zanne
Mad Q, good tip on the job front...that is my life right now too but after working 9 mos. I am seeing the way forward. So it is totally possible. Get your contacts, a bit of local experience and move on.
Very good advice indeed. I hope your job ideals work out too Zanne
Old Dec 30th 2008, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

definitely, thanks ukbajan...happy new year.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:24 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

with regards to secondary schools, I'm not 100pct certain about Dottins Academy.. I had understood that they had changed the name to D's Academy, and then understoon they had closed do to finances. Boys now have another choice in Private school in St. Winifreds, however, it's not going to be easy to get into.

private school prices here are not anywhere near what they cost in the UK or US, except for Codrington (which is about 12,000.00BBD per term) and Providence, which doesn't have a secondary school.

I don't know the rate of St. Winifred's but they have a website.

Harrison, Queen's, St. Michael's and Combermere are the 4 top schools on the island, but there are others, for example Foundation, which is near to Oistens in Christ Church.

You son will need a student visa, as he is not a citizen. Check with the ministry of education (as stated previously)
Old Dec 31st 2008, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
with regards to secondary schools, I'm not 100pct certain about Dottins Academy.. I had understood that they had changed the name to D's Academy, and then understoon they had closed do to finances. Boys now have another choice in Private school in St. Winifreds, however, it's not going to be easy to get into.

private school prices here are not anywhere near what they cost in the UK or US, except for Codrington (which is about 12,000.00BBD per term) and Providence, which doesn't have a secondary school.

I don't know the rate of St. Winifred's but they have a website.

Harrison, Queen's, St. Michael's and Combermere are the 4 top schools on the island, but there are others, for example Foundation, which is near to Oistens in Christ Church.

You son will need a student visa, as he is not a citizen. Check with the ministry of education (as stated previously)
Thankyou, Sunniebgi.
I just spoke to my niece who's a Bajan and teaches on island she mentioned Foundation however she felt it would not have the ethnicity mix I was looking for. It, however, is in exactly the location I was looking into but it is something I would need to visit to get a feel for. His view is important too, of course.

Yes, the school fees here in the UK are high. It feels like I'm ready to sell a kidney every term here so the fees in Bajan terms don't seem quite so daunting. That said, the cost of living is another main factor. I would not be earning what I do now and if I got a business off the ground I would need to watch my budget still. However Codrington is a possibility. I liked the vibe and the feedback on that school.
I'm planning this move very methodically and your input helps, as others have, greatly.
Thank you.
Happy new year!
Old Jan 11th 2009, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless I am a bit off, I was under the impression that citizenship by descent applicants were able to use the "Returning National" distinction to bring household goods and vehicle into Barbados so long as the 3-year restrictions and the other run-arounds were met....

I also do not believe your son can apply to become a citizen until you have been approved. Confirmed?

Also, although there is much to like about Oistins, Barbados being relatively flat, with "good enough" highway roads and frankly, small enough, there are plenty places in Christ Church or in other nearby parishes that are more affordable and still allow you easy access to Oistins. I'm of course assuming you will purchase an auto.

Good Luck
Old Jan 11th 2009, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Yes correct. My son won't get citizenship until mine is approved.
I will not be bringing an auto with me since I don't drive. To be honest I'm quite happy busing around - obviously things may change in the next year or so.
I won't be bringing any household goods until I'm settled and plan to rent in a temp place to see how we get on before looking for something that I would consider my ideal.
Thanks for the best wishes.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

karibspices is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ukbajan
Yes correct. My son won't get citizenship until mine is approved.
I will not be bringing an auto with me since I don't drive. To be honest I'm quite happy busing around - obviously things may change in the next year or so.
I won't be bringing any household goods until I'm settled and plan to rent in a temp place to see how we get on before looking for something that I would consider my ideal.
Thanks for the best wishes.
wow no car!?

you might be the only one over 16 that enjoys a ZR ride...
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Info regarding schools..

A friend of mine has just been looking at govt schools for her 12 yr old daughter and has discovered (after several phone calls and visits) that she will have to sit an exam in June of this year for her age group and that would determine what school she went to... You can not just choose to send your child to where you would like to send them, unless you choose a private school.

HTH

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.