Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Looking to meet new people!!

Looking to meet new people!!

Old Sep 30th 2008, 3:04 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to meet new people!!

Originally Posted by flyingprincess
I havent hay interview yet, Im guessing that wont be for at least another year as I only applied for my citizenship last october. Have you had an interview, if so how long did it take from applying to actually having the interview?
I'm going to ask.. under what circumstances have you applied for Citizenship.. by Marriage, family, what.. I only ask because, maybe I'm stupid, but I can't imagine it would take 3 years to go through this process.. ok.. 16 years ago, it too mine 3 months, but 3 years.. have you been checking with immigration?? or just waiting??

Sorry to sound a little harsh,, but just wondering.
Old Sep 30th 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

flyingprincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Im applying for my citizenship through marriage. When I submitted the application last year they told me it would take approximately 2 years but the last I went to immigration to get my extension they told me it would take 3 years. How did you get your citizenship is it the same as me through marriage or by decent? I cant believe myself that the process would take so long!!
Old Sep 30th 2008, 9:16 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

through marriage. I didn't even have to go in for an interview. I actually lived in the US, while my husband lived here and he did all the back and forth to the Immigration department. I found out over the weekend of US Thanksgiving and Barbados Independance (it just happened to fall that way that year) that my citizenship came through, at which time, my transfer to Barbados re my job came through (I had to have citizenship to work here, as the company I worked for had an office here, but I couldn't transfer without proper documentation, and they wouldn't do a work permit).

Anyway.. I've been here almost 16years now.. But I do know things have become a lot hard in the immigration department, but can't imagine it taking 2 years.. Guess they feel if you can last 2 years of marriage and living in Barbados, you deserve the citizenship (I think that's meant to be funny.. but not sure.. hehehe).
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by shines
Foxy: I could possibly do a Saturday morning run! Let's chat more (PM me for my contact details or I'll PM you) when I'm back to normal).

Shines: Normal... hmmmm, when will this event happen?
Ha ha ha okay, normal is a relative term. I should have been more specific: when I'm back on the island (Friday) and can walk with less of a limp

I'm thinking of starting maybe a once-a-week run/walk, perhaps at the Garrison so that nobody gets lost, we don't run out of sidewalk (!!) and people can walk or run at their own pace. Also probably a good place for strollers/pushcarts. I know for myself, I'll be starting very slowly until I'm 100% healed (also part of the reference to "back to normal") and then I'd like to get into a regular running routine.

Shines, I know that's far for you - does anyone know of any other good running places? I'll admit I haven't branched out as much as I'd like to have done by now.

Foxy
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Garrison is a good idea Foxy....
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Awesome! Give me a week and I'll set something up
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Earlier the better, it gets hot down there!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

You've got that right! I figured it out the hard way LOL!
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Im applying for my citizenship through marriage. When I submitted the application last year they told me it would take approximately 2 years but the last I went to immigration to get my extension they told me it would take 3 years. How did you get your citizenship is it the same as me through marriage or by decent? I cant believe myself that the process would take so long!!
Hi flyingprincess,

I am sorry but I am afraid what they told you is very right.....I can tell you that immigration processes and their policies in general have changed a lot within the last year. They simply try to avoid letting foreigners into the country, that is the truth and a fact.
I have friends there, let's talk about one specifically, she is EU citizen, is living on the island meanwhile for over 5 years, married a Bajan man 2,5 years ago, applied for citizenship almost 2 years ago, they had the interview after almost a year after the application, and still waiting. They simply believe that most of the foreigners, marrying a Bajan, only do that to get this citizenship, so they are stretching the process as long as they can, and if they want, let me tell you, they can stretch it forever. They are hoping that you give up OR that you get divorced before they grant it to you. Ask people who moved there recently and did the same, I am sure many of them will tell you about these problems.
So you only have the option to wait, wait until they see that you are serious about it, or whatever. Sorry not to be able to tell you more, but that is the sad fact about this island.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Belinda! hope you are well, I finally got mine but only in May-- well I think that the waiting and dealing was the most stressful thing I have ever been through. Even after I was granted citizenship it took nearly 3 months for them to issue the certificates...
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:49 pm
Forum Regular

Belinda1974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by zanne
Belinda! hope you are well, I finally got mine but only in May-- well I think that the waiting and dealing was the most stressful thing I have ever been through. Even after I was granted citizenship it took nearly 3 months for them to issue the certificates...
Hi Zanne,

Great to read you again, and sorry but I was not in this forum for a long time, the last year actually was full of stress and pain, due to things which happened with the Bajan Immigration.....long story, maybe I will write a book about it later on

I am now in Grenada, where I just a week ago got my work permit, after 5 months. I only can say, compared to Barbados it is paradise over here, immigration is a nice experience here, no queues ever, normally there are not more than 3-4 other people in there with you! Imagine that...AND the officers are friendly, I couldn't believe it!
The best thing of all here is, that the people in general are so friendly, well I really have to say, Barbados is so different......Here in Grenada you even feel like you can just approach any minister on the road and talk to him, just so! I never would even think about that in Barbados haha

I hope you are OK, I can imagine about your waiting......it stresses you a lot, I went through that too.....
Old Oct 13th 2008, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

gibsomo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone on here,

I have moved to Barbados from the UK and now permanently live here. I wanted to find out any information on working here or voluntary work and make some new friends. I am waiting for my citizenship to be approved which I applied for a year ago but am expecting it to be approximately another 2 years!! At the moment I dont have a lot to fill up my days and any advice on things to do here or pass the time would be greatly recieved.

Sarah
Hi Sarah

I emigrated from London here almost about a year ago and have a friend who wants to do the same although she has no ties here. She is arriving this week and needs as many friendly people around her as we can muster up but unfortunately she is not very well at the moment and not able to travel but I know she would still be interested in making friends. She will be at home most of the day as I expect to be at work but I know she would definitely be up for a chin wag if you are. Holla back if you would like to make friends with her. She's really nice.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

It could work and if all else fails I can always bring kids and chuck them in pushchair and run with them... Normally do that and have dogs o ntheir leads too - I am clearly normal!
Hey Shines, I sent you a PM
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maybe a Spanish speaking swiming teacher is the way forward...?!?!
Shines, you won't believe this. You really won't.

The guy at the Aquatic Centre I was telling you about? He is CUBAN!

So there you go. Spanish lessons and swimming lessons all in one. I also had his name wrong... it's Darny. Two of my friends go to him for coaching and they have nothing but great things to say about him. One of those two friends is now actually doing Triathlons! She is thrilled with her progress.

I'm contemplating going to him, too. Not sure I'll ever do a Triathlon, although Netsirk and the other triathletes are bugging me to try. We'll see.

Enjoy!
Foxy
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

This is going to be a long message:

I would love to do a running club with everyone...especially if u run 1 minute walk the next I've also been contemplating training for a triathlon, only because it would give me soemthing new to do, and I love a challenge!!

I read on this thread that surfing is a good activity. I surf (i try at least) so if anyone wants to it the south coast just let me know!

Unfortunately, citizenship takes forever here. The wait is currently 3-5 years. Some people who have applied over 2 years ago have not yet had an interview. I'm currently applying for permanent residency for my husband for Canada, and though there are far more forms to fill out, it will only take 6-12 months for permanent residency (it can take as little as 2 months).

I think we should do a book club. Or play cards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.