British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Looking to meet new people!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/looking-meet-new-people-563719/)

flyingprincess Sep 26th 2008 12:29 am

Looking to meet new people!!

Hello everyone on here,

I have moved to Barbados from the UK and now permanently live here. I wanted to find out any information on working here or voluntary work and make some new friends. I am waiting for my citizenship to be approved which I applied for a year ago but am expecting it to be approximately another 2 years!! At the moment I dont have a lot to fill up my days and any advice on things to do here or pass the time would be greatly recieved.

Sarah

JacquiB Sep 26th 2008 3:52 pm

Re: Looking to meet new people!!

Hi Sarah
I am new to the island also - I moved here with my husband and son on Monday. Would love to meet up for a coffee sometime - I'll send you a PM with my contact details if you fancy it, Jacqui

Foxy_fromCanada Sep 26th 2008 8:43 pm

Hello Ladies,

I am in a similar position - and have been researching some places to volunteer or groups to join. A broken toe has held me back the last while, and I'm currently travelling but when I return I'll get back into real life with full force!

One of the animal shelters will be a place where I'll likely invest some time: either the ARK, RSPCA, or Hope (all are searchable online).

I know there is a Canadian Women's Association - being Canadian, I'll likely look into that. I believe there is a British one, as well as an American one, and there may be others that I'm not aware of yet.

There are free Spanish classes at the Venezuelan Embassy on the coast road in ChCh. I haven't signed up yet, but hope to next term.

If you are interested in cycling, running and/or swimming groups, let me know and I can hook you up.

There is also the Caribbean Conservation Association http://www.ccanet.net/

Also check out the Future Centre as there is information on their website on various projects with which you might volunteer http://counterpartcaribbean.org/

Other fun things to do include: surfing (and lessons), scuba (you can learn from scratch here), snorkelling practically anywhere, golf, and probably a ton of things I'm forgetting. But this list should help you get started.

Enjoy!
Foxy

shines Sep 26th 2008 10:41 pm

There are free Spanish classes at the Venezuelan Embassy on the coast road in ChCh. I haven't signed up yet, but hope to next term.

What time are these held?

If you are interested in cycling, running and/or swimming groups, let me know and I can hook you up.

Running yes - tell me more...
Shines

Foxy_fromCanada Sep 26th 2008 10:49 pm

Oh Shines... who'd've thought it would come this: me actually having information to share with you! ;) haha

Off the top of my head, I think the spanish classes are twice a week for 2 hours each - always in the evenings. Maybe 5:30 and 7:30 start times? Give them a shout to confirm (I'm not at home this week).

Running - there is a group of people who swim in Carlisle Bay on Wednesday afternoons at 4pm, and Saturday mornings at 8am (or maybe it's 8:30). They start at the yacht club (not necessary to be a member). Netsirk has joined this group, and many of them also run and cycle together. When my foot has healed, I'll be back to running and would LOVE a group to run with, so I may join them in swimming as a way to get a more organized running group together, too. Even if you're not really into swimming (like me), you could go just to meet them and see who is interested in running regularly. I sometimes go to watch Netsirk swim, so could meet you there sometime?

HTH!
Foxy

shines Sep 26th 2008 10:55 pm

[QUOTE=Foxy_fromCanada;6823664]Oh Shines... who'd've thought it would come this: me actually having information to share with you! ;) haha

:rofl:

Off the top of my head, I think the spanish classes are twice a week for 2 hours each - always in the evenings. Maybe 5:30 and 7:30 start times? Give them a shout to confirm (I'm not at home this week).

Ahh evenings are no good, that is my busy getting the kids fed, bathed and into bed time. I sold really learn at home as my husband is half Venezuelan and fluent in Spanish but it is soo hard to do it that way, I thought having lessons would be a better way to go so I can concentrate more...

Running - there is a group of people who swim in Carlisle Bay on Wednesday afternoons at 4pm, and Saturday mornings at 8am (or maybe it's 8:30). They start at the yacht club (not necessary to be a member). Netsirk has joined this group, and many of them also run and cycle together. When my foot has healed, I'll be back to running and would LOVE a group to run with, so I may join them in swimming as a way to get a more organized running group together, too. Even if you're not really into swimming (like me), you could go just to meet them and see who is interested in running regularly. I sometimes go to watch Netsirk swim, so could meet you there sometime?

Ahhhh ok let me know if any more happens on the runing front - Saturday am I could do, leave the kids with hubby and get out possibly. As for swimming - my secret admission - I can't do it! I know, awful (my 4 yr old CAN swim), I need to get lessons in this area too! Maybe a Spanish speaking swiming teacher is the way forward...?!?!

We should try to hook up some time, I am up in the north so a visa may be necessary but lets try to arange something, baring in mind my kids and their school/sleep/eating schedules - KIDS..!

zanne Sep 26th 2008 11:22 pm

Foxy, I used to run-- loads actually with NY Road Runners, but I am rusty, among other things, are there slow pokes?:)

Foxy_fromCanada Sep 26th 2008 11:34 pm

For Shines: you might want to look into Rosetta Stone for language lessons. It's software you can purchase (or download... hehe). That way, you could do it at your own pace in your own time, like when the kiddies are in bed or at school. I've actually never tried it, but have heard rave reviews. Netsirk is actually using it for Italian, and says it's amazing.

I also forgot to mention that someone told me about a swimming coach at the Aquatic Centre. I think his name was Darien (sp??) and I've heard great reviews about him. I'll see if I can find out if he speaks Spanish LOL!!

I could possibly do a Saturday morning run! Let's chat more (PM me for my contact details or I'll PM you) when I'm back to normal).

For Zanne: I'm a total slowpoke! I was doing walk 1 min, run 1 min before the injury, and not at a fast pace. If Saturday mornings worked for you and Shines, we could have the beginning of a good running group :) After the past 6 weeks with no physical activity, I'll really be starting from scratch.

Of course, we'd have to do the obligatory tea/coffee stop afterward, to reward ourselves for our hard work. The difficult part will be to resist the COOKIES!!!

shines Sep 27th 2008 12:05 am

[QUOTE=Foxy_fromCanada;6823730]For Shines: you might want to look into Rosetta Stone for language lessons. It's software you can purchase (or download... hehe).

Ahhhh you can PM me a download site

I also forgot to mention that someone told me about a swimming coach at the Aquatic Centre. I think his name was Darien (sp??) and I've heard great reviews about him. I'll see if I can find out if he speaks Spanish LOL!!

LMAO - yay ok lets see if I can combine the 2 of them...

I could possibly do a Saturday morning run! Let's chat more (PM me for my contact details or I'll PM you) when I'm back to normal).

Normal... hmmmm, when will this event happen?

For Zanne: I'm a total slowpoke! I was doing walk 1 min, run 1 min before the injury, and not at a fast pace. If Saturday mornings worked for you and Shines, we could have the beginning of a good running group :) After the past 6 weeks with no physical activity, I'll really be starting from scratch.

It could work and if all else fails I can always bring kids and chuck them in pushchair and run with them... Normally do that and have dogs o ntheir leads too - I am clearly normal!

shines Sep 27th 2008 12:07 am

Originally Posted by flyingprincess (Post 6820560)
Hello everyone on here,

I have moved to Barbados from the UK and now permanently live here. I wanted to find out any information on working here or voluntary work and make some new friends. I am waiting for my citizenship to be approved which I applied for a year ago but am expecting it to be approximately another 2 years!! At the moment I dont have a lot to fill up my days and any advice on things to do here or pass the time would be greatly recieved.

Sarah

Sorry Sarah,

Totally hijaked your thread... I am also waiting for my citizenship to go thru. I have a 4 yr old in school and an 11 month old who is slightly bonkers but if you feel brave I am happy for her to be let loose in public!

Shines

edited - I know the Hope Sanctuary are always looking for volunteers if you like animals. Beware you may end up wanting to home a lot of them or wanting to commit crimes to some of the people out there who mistreat them...

zanne Sep 27th 2008 12:22 am

Oh I could put little Mr. in his jogger too, good idea.

flyingprincess Sep 27th 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks for all your replies, i really appreciate it. I used to do alot of swimming and even some running but am pretty unfit now but would be interested in meeting up if you start a running club although mine will be more of a brisk walk and maybe a bit of a jog!!
I have looked into the Hope but found it pretty distressing the conditions but I believe they have dog walking on a wednesday so will look further into that, I was also thinking about the turtle project here if anyone has any information on volunteering for that.
I just keep holding out hope my citizenship wont last much more than another year so I get a paid job here, especially as we werent expecting the cost of living to be so high!!

zanne Sep 27th 2008 1:44 pm

Princess did you already have your interview?

shines Sep 27th 2008 2:23 pm

[QUOTE=flyingprincess;6825026] I was also thinking about the turtle project here if anyone has any information on volunteering for that.
QUOTE]

The turtle project is basically looking out on beaches for turtles coming into nest and making a note then watching for when they hatch and making sure they head for the sea. Often they get disorientated the the street/car/building lights and head to the roads/hotels instead of for the moon...

http://www.barbadosseaturtles.org/outreach.html

HTH

flyingprincess Sep 29th 2008 10:09 pm

I havent hay interview yet, Im guessing that wont be for at least another year as I only applied for my citizenship last october. Have you had an interview, if so how long did it take from applying to actually having the interview?