Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Looking for Apartment - Recommendations?

Looking for Apartment - Recommendations?

Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for Apartment - Recommendations?

I have similar questions to Bodie37. I may be coming with a 4 year old early in the spring.
And are there clubs that are especially welcoming to young children?
And most important:
We are looking for a house or apartment in an area that is good for small children, a place with a nice community, places to meet other parents, places where kids can run around and not be endangered by cars, etc., lots of small kid activities, quiet - no road or loud party noise.
Ideally, US$ 1000-2000. for 2 or 3 bedrooms.
I don't have to travel for work, and don't need nightlife, bars, or discos. (Although a nice old-fashioned British or Irish Pub which lets children in and has nice lunch or dinners would be fine but certainly not essential. )
What areas, housing complexes, or apartments would you recommend?
Any suggestions?
Olderman
Old Jan 28th 2008, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

Olderman:

I am not sure if such a place exists that will meet all your criteria.

Rockley is a nice, quiet development located around a 9 hole golf course. My mother lives there, but I have not noticed many families around, but definitely quiet and lots of room for kids to run around. You could get a three bedroom townhouse for US$2000, and perhaps a 2 bedroom for US$1750.

Gunsite is also another possibility.A three bedrom townhouse will go for US$2000 there. There is also another development called Ridgeview which might be suitable and also in that price range.

So, basically you will be looking at spending at the high end of your range to find somewhere quiet and without traffic. You could get a house or a apartment in a smaller complex for that figure as well, but it will be unlikely to on a cul-de-sac.

There are other developments, particularly on the west coast, but at prices of US$2500 - US$4000.

When you say "clubs" for kids, what exactly do you mean?

There is no restriction on children in bars, and most serve food, so you just need to find one that you like and your child will be welcome.

Feel free to write with more questions.

John
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point

When I say 'club, welcoming for kids' I mean any sort of social or country club that has lots of families, a swimming pool or other facilities and activities that cater to kids. It could be a yacht club, or golf club or health club or whatever, but one that doesn't mind, and has, lots of kids running around.

For example, where we are now, there is a health club that I go to. But along with the exercise machines reserved for adults, the club also has a restaurant, a creche for very small children, swimming pools with times for kids and families, and gives lessons just for kids in tennis, gymnastics, dance, swimming, etc., and places where parents can sit and relax while the kids take lessons, play, and generally run around.

Are there any clubs like that that we should make a point of looking at when we arrive?
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Bajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really niceBajanboy is just really nice

I cannot think of anywhere like that. They are clubs that offer specific activities like dance, tennis or karate, but your kid would attend for a specific session and then leave. That would be the best place for her to make friends. Once she has made friends, you can then arrange play dates at the beach or at someone's house.

There is The Barbados Yacht Club, but you will have to join and to do that you will have to find someone to recommend you. It was traditionally only open white Barbadians (one of these strange leftovers from colonial days), but I think economic reality has forced them to open membership over the past decade. Besides the beach and a couple tennis courts, there is not much else to do there.

So, your choice basically comes down to specific activities, not a general club where you can hang out for the day. Even gyms really do not cater to kids and I believe that the leading one, Surfside, does not even have childminding facilities.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Rumswizz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
I cannot think of anywhere like that. They are clubs that offer specific activities like dance, tennis or karate, but your kid would attend for a specific session and then leave. That would be the best place for her to make friends. Once she has made friends, you can then arrange play dates at the beach or at someone's house.

There is The Barbados Yacht Club, but you will have to join and to do that you will have to find someone to recommend you. It was traditionally only open white Barbadians (one of these strange leftovers from colonial days), but I think economic reality has forced them to open membership over the past decade. Besides the beach and a couple tennis courts, there is not much else to do there.

So, your choice basically comes down to specific activities, not a general club where you can hang out for the day. Even gyms really do not cater to kids and I believe that the leading one, Surfside, does not even have childminding facilities.
We looked into the same thing and there is nothing on offer like this. None of the gyms offer creche as Bajanboy mentioned. Hey there you go...open market to set something up!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Bodie37 is an unknown quantity at this point

BajanBoy,,,,many thanks for your help.......I have been to Barb befor...Nov 2006 so I have a reasonable idea, but it was only for a few days. As I will be living on the island for 2 years, obviously I wanna enjoy all it has to offeer and do a bit of work as well !!!!!!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Bodie37 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bajanboy

i cant read ur private msg........email me [email protected]
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

MissyMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zanne
That's the funny thing-- it seems that they might not even have a chip reader here at the ARC at GAIA, I can't get a straight story about that. The paperwork/instructions were revised since the fall to include the chip business, also a customs broker told me that the UK vet issuing the export permit needs to verify the chip and include it's number on the paperwork, all of this was very vague.
Hi Zanne,

Has your cat made the trip over yet? I am still wondering if they have the Chip reader in Barbados.

Missymum
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Our cat will be arriving here in abut 3 weeks, I don't think that they have a reader-- but the documentation provided in the UK needs to reference that the pet has the chip and as well the #. I will let you know once I experience the whole proceeding!
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

MissyMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zanne
Our cat will be arriving here in abut 3 weeks, I don't think that they have a reader-- but the documentation provided in the UK needs to reference that the pet has the chip and as well the #. I will let you know once I experience the whole proceeding!
Best of luck Zanne, I hope it all goes smoothly and let me know how you get on.