Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Long Term Car Rental/ Lease

Long Term Car Rental/ Lease

Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:35 am
Just Joined

information required is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Long Term Car Rental/ Lease

Hello,
I will be in Barbados for the next little while and would like to rent/ lease a car for the next 5-6 months and am wondering if anyone has any links or agencies that they could recommend. I have been looking at the prices at rental agencies listed on the web and it does seem to be bit on the expensive side and am wondering if there is any other way to go about this. Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:11 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Long Term Car Rental/ Lease

unfortunately Cars are not the cheapest items on the island, especially in the rental and/or lease of such.

You may want to check with Courtesy Garage, as they sell cars as well as rental, they may do a lease agreement with you.

I don't know if car sellers in Barbados do lease agreements, but I'm guessing unless you are here for a few years, it might not be worthwhile.

You might find a car rental company who is willing to rent longer term for less money. Maybe Stoutes or Chelsea Motors..

sorry can't be more helpful.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:18 am
Just Joined

Thank you Sunniebgi - I will look into the agencies you have mentioned. And yes, you are correct that no one really does a short term lease, I had checked with Simpson Motors but will check with the ones you have mentioned and see what they say. Thanks once again
Old Sep 29th 2010, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

CarlHnz is an unknown quantity at this point

I can recommend a local guy who does long term lease and short term rental. Really nice guy and good rates. I will PM the OP.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 3:19 am
Just Joined

Tizzy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would be interested in this info too please as my husband is taking forever to get his car on the road!!!
Old Sep 30th 2010, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by CarlHnz
I can recommend a local guy who does long term lease and short term rental. Really nice guy and good rates. I will PM the OP.
thanks CarlHnz
Old Jan 16th 2011, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Britney is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats easy you can get a deal for $1,500 BDS a month
Old Jan 16th 2011, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Jeremy01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Simplest and most economical way to get a car for a 6 month(ish) stay here
is to buy a used car from a REPUTABLE dealer, care for it and sell it when you
leave the island.

J.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Thats not a bad idea, but you will have to look for over $15000 to $20,000 to get a quite decent trouble free car,along with maintainence,road tax and insurance is certainly not cheap in Barbados.Reselling the car will certainly not get you back that money and may take a long time.But you can also find a very cheap car which most peole consider as garbage,you may drive it for a week will spending most of it time in the repair shop.Trying to resell your car while having to leave the island on a specific date,may cause you to drop the price much lower than you really want to.

Last edited by Britney; Jan 16th 2011 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:35 am
Just Joined

si_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be moving over to Barbados next week and am also looking at the car question... I'm going to have a fair amount of time on my hands so don't mind the idea of getting an old banger and working on it myself, but just wondered if anyone knew anything about insurance and tax?

Any recommendations for insurance companies out there?

Also, I'm going to be staying at a hotel until I find a place to rent, so would that cause issues for insurance (having no 'fixed abode')?

(If anyone has a place to rent in Atlantic Shores or nearby, please do let me know as am having difficulties getting any responses from estate agents!)

Many thanks for any advice :-)

Simon
Old Jan 18th 2011, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Equity Insurance is the best in Barbados by far.Check Cariblist for cheap rentals or
the Nation Barbados Classified,the real estate agents are mainly focusing on million dollar homes.
But if you have money to waste you can contact a real estate company,i know you can do much better
without their help.

Last edited by Britney; Jan 18th 2011 at 3:42 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2011, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be moving over soon and like some of the others was planning on a 6 month rental of both Accommodation and a vehicle. In April this year I'm coming across to have a look at where to rent both of them a well as looking at companies to apply to for work.
What are the laws on bringing my own transport in the way of a Motorbike that I have been restoring over the winter. I was thinking of selling it before I left the UK but would love to bring it with me. Shipping wouldn't be a problem, however, how would one register it over on the island? I have only ever noticed smaller bikes so there must be a way.

REgards to all
Old Jan 19th 2011, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

RAZZMATAZZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Britney
Equity Insurance is the best in Barbados by far.Check Cariblist for cheap rentals or
the Nation Barbados Classified,the real estate agents are mainly focusing on million dollar homes.
But if you have money to waste you can contact a real estate company,i know you can do much better
without their help.
At the risk of being contentious,I wonder what makes Equity the best insurance company 'by far'.From personal experience Co-operators General have had very low rates of car insurance,and been prompt in the settlement of claims.They also verified my no claims bonus so it became applicable to my UK insurance when I was back some time ago,although I would assume that all insurance companies would do so.There is also a reputable broker who has many expat clients,particularly in terms of house and medical insurance.Anyone may pm me for the details.
With regard to house rentals,many realty agents advertise their client's properties on Cariblist and in the Nation Classified,and you would hardly be wasting money using their extensive resources when it is the estate owner, not the lessee that pays the commission.
I think it is fairly presumptuous to assume that real estate agents only focus on the lower end of the market.
By the way I'm not a real estate agent
Old Jan 19th 2011, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

Am speaking from experience not hear say,Equity Insurance is the best in Barbados by far....I had mention Cariblist but i must take that back,ive been trying to rent a property for a friend from Cariblist since October last year,the company/Agent that looks after that and a number of houses/apartments on that site is call Blueshore;I had made many phone calls and the Agent never seems to know the prices, but promise to get back to me and never did,this is almost Febuary 2011 and i still am waiting for their email.I tried another one in November with an English lady/Agent she to was to get back to me,its over 2 months and am still waiting.
Old Jan 19th 2011, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

RAZZMATAZZ is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Britney;9113299]Am speaking from experience not hear say,Equity Insurance is the best in Barbados by far....

I stand corrected,thanks for the explanation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.