British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   From London to Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/london-barbados-869027/)

Rachel_M Dec 10th 2015 12:21 am

From London to Barbados

I moved from London to Barbados just over a year ago. I'm a 29 year old female, haven't really made any proper friendships (I find I'm greeted with hostility, don't know why :(). Looking for friends around my age who like working out, shopping, art, drinks/dinner etc

Thanks

Rachel

Jerseygirl Dec 10th 2015 12:24 am

Re: From London to Barbados

Welcome to BE. Please contact Admin and request a change of username. You can do this by hitting the 'Contact Us' tab at the bottom right hand side of this page. Thank you. :)

Serendipidy Dec 10th 2015 2:06 pm

Hi Rachel

As Jersey girl has mentioned please arrange a change of name as giving your direct contact details out is not a good move as this site is viewed by thousands. Make sure you do that before giving out any further personal details on your situation cos right now you have supplied your full name and I could easily find out a lot more information on you.

You mention hostility - from whom....are you single or with a partner and are you working on the island just thinking of ways that you can integrate

Dips

London Expat Jan 22nd 2016 6:30 pm

Hey Rachel, I moved from London to Barbados 18 months ago, I'm 28, female. Where abouts in london were you from? I'm from South X

Rachel_M Jan 28th 2016 12:54 pm

Hi London Expat, I'm from West london

London Expat Jan 28th 2016 1:25 pm

Ah cool. So how are you finding things now? Are you working here? I work in advertising / PR

Serendipidy Jan 29th 2016 10:53 am

Hi Ladies ..seems like there is a chance for you two to connect..Can i suggest you PM each other so that you dont give out too much personal info here...Rachel you might have to reply to me so that you have 3 posts before you can pm..I notice London Expat already has 3..good luck girlies ..maybe you should meet at Shakers for a lovely cocktail and some mmmmmmm mmmm mmmmm Dolphin (no not flipper type Dolphin before anyone comments lol)

Rachel_M Jan 31st 2016 12:59 am

Will do, thanks

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 31st 2016 9:41 pm

If only I was in Barbados...

NYCPanda Apr 20th 2016 3:49 pm

Hi,

My husband and I recently moved to Barbados - I am a female in my 30s with a little dog.

Would love to meet new friends.

B

satellite_ian Apr 21st 2016 7:04 pm

As usual on a thread like this I am going to push the Hash House Harriers...(BH3 :: On In :: The Barbados Hash House Harriers).. it's a drinking club with a running problem... all ages/abilities/backgrounds.. fun group come along do a bit of physical activity and then stay for the lime.....

Sunniebgi Apr 22nd 2016 5:56 pm

and I'll chime in and offer up the American Women's club of Barbados.. meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month, except in July and August, at the Main Guard building at the Garrison, in Hastings, Christ Church. I think , not certain, that you may have written to our Facebook page?? or e-mail?? [email protected]. We are a group of women, American and Bajan, and Caribbean and others and we do service projects, have socials, fundraising etc.. come and join us.

JL01 May 9th 2016 8:42 pm

Hi Rachel,

I am moving to Barbados from Islington end of June / July... Have you managed to settle in a bit better yet?

Jamie

Cally123 May 28th 2016 8:47 pm

Hi Rachel,

I'm coming to Barbados in mid June will search for work. Would be great to meet up for a drink/coffee. I'm from London mid thirtees. Hope you've met a few more people now. And you have time for one other:)
Caroline

Sunniebgi May 29th 2016 2:17 am

CAlly123.. are you moving to Barbados with a job, work permit etc..?? or just coming to look for a job?? it's not really as easy as that.. unless you are a citizen of Barbados, have the proper documents to live and work here, finding a job is not an easy process and does require that whomeever hires you , must apply for a work permit, which is not cheap and is valid for anywhere from 1 year to 3 years only.

unless you can do a job that no Barbadian can do, or you have special skills that are required for specific jobs its still very much not that easy.. just a heads up.