British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   A little help / pointer to perhaps an existing thread. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/little-help-pointer-perhaps-existing-thread-800504/)

Ashadi Jun 18th 2013 11:41 am

A little help / pointer to perhaps an existing thread.

Hi there,

As many on the forum here - my family I love Barbados. I have just returned after competing in the Sol Rally Barbados 2013. Visting the Island on many occassions I spent more time on this trip trying to establish the ability of keeping my UK clients happy. I am self employed in the UK and have managed to keep all happy back in the UK during my extended visit. With this in mind I was thinking on 'trying' Barbados (if that is the right term). The plan is to come accross and rent for 3/6 months and to keep my business in the UK as is, a sort of extended holiday - where I would continue to work remotely.

A few questions come to mind, amongst many;

1. Do I/my family need any special visas?
2. If I need to return to the UK on several occassions during this time to visit clients, will this be an issue on my return?

I am sure I cannot be the first to do this, or in deed ask the questions - but a pointer in the right direction, or a link up with someone who has/or is doing this would be fantastic.

Yes we have the dream to live out in Barbados fully, eventually - but one or more trials will help us decide fully.

Regards

Andy H

Serendipidy Jun 18th 2013 9:38 pm

Re: A little help / pointer to perhaps an existing thread.

Hi Ashadi

I really wish the islands would recognise this type of lifestyle and allow a transient visa however bottom line is immigration and border control throughout the word has a priority to stop people coming and living/working in the particular country.

I know lots of people who do what you want to do and over the last 10 years its been a lot easier to do than it is now..ironic cos now is the most likely time people would want to do it...wherever you go now a lot of places give you a 3 month stay...Bim for some reasons can be so eratic anything from a week to 3 months...i would not even suggest mentioning the word "work" in any capacity to an immigration officer.....the difficulty is that multiple trips cause lots of questions they seem to be comfortable with you visiting every 3 months....the experience of long term visitors to Bim on this forum might not give you a good picture as many of them have established their patterns of coming and going in the earlier more profitable world economy. Hope you get some feed back from recent travellers doing what you want to and they can let you know how they are getting through...immigration anywhere nowaday is a gamble but Barbados is definitley eratic dependant on whom you encounter on the day..maybe im not giving you much helpful feedback here but my suggestion would be take one trip at a time planning any further than that might be difficult...once you establish a come and go pattern maybe your options will be freerer..I would suggest you book a ticket maximum 3 months then go for an extension for longer if you decide...just less hassle up front