British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Lawyers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/lawyers-784359/)

CARAPIL1 Jan 19th 2013 12:17 pm

Lawyers

Hi,

Can anyone tell me is there any lawyers in Barbados that you can trust 100%. I have tried three and they are totally wasting people's time.

The cases took so long in coming to a closure. Please advise me where can I find a lawyer that I can trust to deal with a land dispute?

Carapil1

Sunniebgi Jan 21st 2013 2:12 am

Re: Lawyers

We have used Mary Mahabir with Lex Caribbean (may not have spelled her name correctly.).. but.. it's not always the lawyer (she says having been the victim myself of a lawyer who went off the south of France for 5 weeks and didn't leave anything with anyone else in his office regarding the purchase of our home...) .. sometimes it's just the court system and the way it operates. Good luck..

and.. may I just add.. if it's a land dispute.. there's going to be someone digging through lots o'paperwork as in title deeds etc.. which is going to mean more time and coast as well.. really.. goodluck..

CARAPIL1 Jan 22nd 2013 7:28 pm

Thanks a lot for the lawyers name and I know it is going to be a costly venture but it is not family we are getting of the property it is squatters not paying anything. Our Great grandmother did not get it for free so we have to fight for it.

Sunniebgi Jan 23rd 2013 12:10 am

I have a friend who told me a story... She and her husband had married and they were given a piece of land on family land to build a house. right beside the lot they had was a chattel house that was being lived in by a non-family member. After the house was built, the couple was told they would also have the land beside the house where this chattel house was. The person who owned the land gave the tenant several months to move out. He refused, they left it alone for a short time, but again, advised he had to move out.. he didn't.. to the point of them having to go to court because this person flatly refused to leave.. the best part was.. the person finally moved.. the worst part was.. it took about 3 or 5 years for it to finally happen.

Good luck with your situation..

CARAPIL1 Jan 24th 2013 4:06 am

I sent an email to Ms Mahabir but she said that she does not do cases concerning land disputes.

If at anytime you should hear of a good Ligitation Lawyer please let me know.

Thanks for the help so far

Carapil1

Sunniebgi Jan 24th 2013 10:53 am

ok.. she actually is my husbands lawyer on record and she assisted us with the purchase of our home.. did you ask if she could recommend anyone.. ?? just wondering..

Michael Digby Jan 24th 2013 4:33 pm

Hi we have bought a property that has not been without difficulties - the high point all the way has been our Attorney, she has been totally excellent. Fully on top of the job, does what she says she is going to do, does it on time and most importantly keeps us informed. Her name is Clare Lewis from West Coast Legal. Good luck!!

CARAPIL1 Jan 25th 2013 4:28 pm

Thanks a lot for the information. No I did not ask Ms Mahabir to recommend another lawyer as I emailed at least 25. I thought let me work with these first and select about 3 for now.

I am going to email Clare Lewis now. Thanks a lot

Carapil1