Laptop use in Barbados

Old Nov 7th 2008, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

eunice83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Laptop use in Barbados

Hi ,

I need to take my laptop with me to Barbados. Which ISP would be best to use to cover Barbados? The Laptop has wireless capabilities , would that make a difference with selection?

Many thanks

Eunice
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Laptop use in Barbados

Hello Everyone,

My original response was this:

I am pretty sure Cable & Wireless is the only Internet provider. When you call them, you can order the wireless router or the regular one - it doesn't seem to make much difference.

If you are living in a complex, you might have the option of free wireless as some provide it, but it's not always "high-speed." We have free wireless in our complex but we still ordered the ADSL because we need a higher speed and also because the free wireless doesn't give us a good signal in our apartment.

Otherwise, there are "hot spots" around, where you can bring your laptop for free wireless internet. Just depends on what you need it for.
Can someone please reply if I am mistaken?

Thanks, and good luck to you Eunice83
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:37 pm
Just Joined

Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

No you can get Broadband with TeleBarbados too - which is quicker as it is not an over-subscribed service like C&W. Their website is www.telebarbados.com, I've just had their $$99 service put in and it's much better than the C&W service I had before.

They also have a service called Freemotion - via WIFI around the island where you can buy vouchers - but that doesn't work everywhere.

Hope that helps!!
Old Nov 8th 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

There are only 2 ISP on the island, Cable & Wireless and Sunbeach. Telebarbados contracts through C&W (so there's 2 1/2)

Sunbeach is sunbeach.net for more info.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

I had no idea we weren't restricted to C&W! Wish I'd known that before waiting for 6 weeks for a modem. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the tips, folks. At least now I know I have an alternative if necessary.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bimchick
There are only 2 ISP on the island, Cable & Wireless and Sunbeach. Telebarbados contracts through C&W (so there's 2 1/2)

Sunbeach is sunbeach.net for more info.
Bimchick,

Not correct, TeleBarbados do not use C&W at all, Sunbeach use C&W. TeleBarbados's network is totally independent - hence it being more reliable.

SunBeach - in general also gives better coverage than C&W again due to less over-subscribing on the pipes they rent from C&W.

The service you get from C&W in general depends on where you live - and how many people near you are subscribed to it ... anyone who uses their service regularly knows that in the morning it gets slow then again after schools finish and over weekends when everyone is on it. That said they are the cheapest .. but not necessarily best value for money.
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada

I had no idea we weren't restricted to C&W! Wish I'd known that before waiting for 6 weeks for a modem. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the tips, folks. At least now I know I have an alternative if necessary.
I rang TeleBarbados on the monday and was installed, up & running on the tuesday!!!
Old Nov 9th 2008, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Holy (insert expletives here) !!

Next time I'll use them for sure. Given that I work from home, it was an extreme annoyance to not have ADSL for 6 whole weeks. Thanks MadQ, this is very helpful.