Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Job hunting advice in Barbados

Job hunting advice in Barbados

Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:38 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job hunting advice in Barbados

Originally Posted by minisoufka
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or anybody else; it seems like it's an important subject to you.

My whole point is, that I would love to work, am qualified and hardworking, have experience and could really contribute and do something for the local community, am willing to help out for free in a school or children's home or nursery, but there is basically no chance to be given a chance.

Thanks for the tip about voluntary work too. I didn't realise there are any laws regarding this - I've never come across an informative website on this subject (just paid work and permits are explained).

Let me just state.. you haven't offended me.. but you do need to pay attention to what you are asking for and also how things work. You mentioned wanting to work, which usually means being paid for it. But not being able to because of the laws. you never mentioned doing anything for free, or giving back to the community (which I am a strong advocate of)

The situation with the volunteerism took place about 15years ago, so you may want to just double check .. or maybe not.. if you are willing to volunteer (without pay) you may be able to find a school willing to accept your skills (we actually have someone at our school who has done that as she was working on her teachers certificate and was not yet certified, but came in to work on a voluntary basis to gain the practical experience).

Padmores Nursery (ages 2-4) , in Prior Park, St. James, is currently advertising for teachers, so you may want to check with them to see what they can offer (again, they aren't going to apply for a work permit for you, unlikely, but they may appreciate your assistance.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Originally Posted by minisoufka
My whole point is, that I would love to work, am qualified and hardworking, have experience and could really contribute and do something for the local community, am willing to help out for free in a school or children's home or nursery, but there is basically no chance to be given a chance.
It is what it is here, I suggest that you take up some hobbies and have fun. I am married to a Bajan and even I couldn't work here for nearly 2 years after applying for citizenship. Now that I am working, well, the grass is always greener!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Zanne, what did you do for 2 years? I have been jobless for a few months and although I keep myself busy (sort of ) during the day I feel like I could be doing so much more, but I find it hard to go out when I know I'm just going to be doing things by myself.

Any suggestions?
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

For about 16 months of it I traveled back and forth between here and NYC 2x a month with my son who was then 1 year old up until he was 2.5 and then for the last 8 months I came down here and constructed a vegetable garden in my yard. (BTW this is what I was alluding to regarding hobbies, I now have a part time job, in addition to my full time job based on my gardening hobby)
Old Nov 18th 2008, 11:51 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I've actually been a stay at home mom for the last 3 years. (after working since I moved here) totally got into my childrens school (pta, events etc).. but of course that only helps if you have school age children.

Join a womens club, and like Zanne, start a hobby.. I also started making jewelry, bead and wire etc.... not that I can afford the supplies but have collected several things over the last few years.. I make things for my childrens friends birthday and for teachers gifts christmas presents, etc..

Go into Bridgetown and window shop. See the island (there is tons to explore and get lost in).. if you have a car. or learn to take the bus, which is what I did for the first 6mths I lived here.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

I took up scuba. GREAT way to spend an afternoon, and keeps you cool, too