Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Job hunting advice in Barbados

Job hunting advice in Barbados

Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:23 am
Just Joined

eunice83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job hunting advice in Barbados

Hello all,

I'm moving to Barbados at the end of November on my own and would really appreciate any advice on job hunting. I currently work as a Secretary for an investment bank in the City of London and was looking for advice on where to look for admin office work in Barbados. If anyone could recommend any websites or recruitment agencies in Barbados that would be so helpful. I have Barbados Citizenship by descent.

Thank you!
Old Oct 13th 2008, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Job hunting advice in Barbados

Hi, you can try Chris at Office Power - [email protected] (he helped me fill a vacancy recently and seems switched on). Lost his phone number so email him first.

There's also First Executive Recruitment Tel: 001-246-271-2349 | Fax: 001-246-271-2350 | Toll: 0800-097-5581 Email: [email protected] - I think they may do secretarial.

Good luck!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

eugiebabe is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Job hunting advice in Barbados

Hi there, I read your message and I thought I was reading something that I had written.

I have the same job as you and I'm looking to relocate as well.

Please let me know what you find out. I don't really want to do the same thing but if its a start then that would be great.

I don't plan to go until next year and I don't have citizen ship as only my mum is Bajan by birth.

There are some big companies over there such as Deloitte and Touche and Price Waterhouse Coopers. Try their websites directly.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 14th 2008, 4:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

KPMG is also here.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 8:55 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

eugiebabe, you will need to get a work permit before you can work here, if you don't have residency or citizenship. basically it means that the company you plan to work for has to apply for a work permit for you, meaning the job you have can't be done by a Barbadian (or that no qualified barbadian has applied for the job.).

Good luck.
Old Oct 14th 2008, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks!

I have the form for permanent residency but not sure if I have to apply for immigrant status first and what can i apply for from over here in the UK? Do I need to be there to apply for these things?
Old Oct 27th 2008, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

eunice83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Grassisgreener, Foxy_from Canada and Eugibabe for helpful contacts I really appreciate it!!!

Eugibabe - I will message you to let you know what happens. Btw, I know you mentioned that you havenot yet got citizenship yet but are you going to do that soon? When I was applying for my citizenship it took sooo long . It took a whole year until I received a letter from the embassy confirming that my citizenship had come through.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Hey, Well since I wrote that post there has been a few major developments. I am not applying for residency/citizenship of Barbados anymore as its too much of a long process. Instead I am applying for citizenship of Antigua through my father's heritage which should take 6-8 weeks and a couple of birth certificates. That means that I will become a CARICOM national making it easier to live in Barbados.

In addition, because I have a degree I can get an Accreditation Certificate which means I'm a skilled worker and can work in Barbados without a permit putting me on par with locals in terms of applying for work!! This is a much quicker route and I then plan to move once it's all sorted out.

I forwarded my CV to those agencies above and they said that I was more than employable so you should do good. Congratulations on getting your citizenship.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

That's great news for you - wish it were as easy for me

Best of luck in your move here.

Foxy
Old Nov 18th 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I moved here about a month ago and have been searching for jobs but had no luck whatsoever.I'm a qualified teacher with experience in English and Polish schools.
Have you heard of anyone other than Bajan actually getting a teaching job in Barbados?
I'm getting so frustrated! Help, please!!!
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:01 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

yes, there are several teachers other than bajans who teach in schools, but you must have a work permit (or have the right to work in Barbados Legally, just because you live here doesn't mean you can work here). It's usually the employer who has to file and it can take a while and you can't work while it's in process, soooo, this might be a problem.

Have you tried Codrington?? or Providence School??

if you are looking to work in the Barbados Government Primary or Secondary Schools you would need to go to the Ministry of Education and find out what they require.

Good Luck
Old Nov 18th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your kind reply.

I know it's not enough to live here to be allowed to work, but isn't it a vicious cirle? They won't employ you because you have no work permit, but you can't apply for one unless they want to employ you...

I'm going to try some private schools and maybe BCC and the Polytechnic too.
I have emailed the Ministry to ask their advice, though I'm not really too hopeful. Quite a few people told me that in Barbados it's more about who you know, not that much about what jobs are actually advertised and what stands in your CV... That's sad and so unfair.

I wish I was going back home soon. Does anybody else feel frustrated by the laws and regulations here? Including those unwritten ones?

Why did my husband decide to accept a job here, why????

I guess I'm going to sit by the pool all day today (if the weather allows) to recharge my batteries a little
Old Nov 18th 2008, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I don't want to burst your bubble, but the chances of you getting a job on the island are about .000001. Unless you're working at Codrington, and therefore have an IB certification, you are not going to get hired. Schools here aren't interested in work permits.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by minisoufka
Thank you for your kind reply.

I'm going to try some private schools and maybe BCC and the Polytechnic too.
I have emailed the Ministry to ask their advice, though I'm not really too hopeful. Quite a few people told me that in Barbados it's more about who you know, not that much about what jobs are actually advertised and what stands in your CV... That's sad and so unfair.

I wish I was going back home soon. Does anybody else feel frustrated by the laws and regulations here? Including those unwritten ones?

Why did my husband decide to accept a job here, why????
:

Work laws are common place all over the world. A Barbadian Cannot work in the US without a work permit, which usually means a work VISA (which has to be applied for by the company. Yes, they can work "under the table" but if they are caught, the fines are on the company, not the worker (and the worker would likely get deported).

I'm guessing this is an issue between you and your husband.. and likely should have been discussed and not assumed when he made his choice to work here.

Believe it or not, there are also rules in place about volunteer work as well, meaning, volunteering for a job, that someone else would get paid for, so be careful there as well (I knew a lady years ago who's husband worked in Telecom. she was a registered physical therapist and was willing to assist on a voluntary basis at a clinic, but couldn't because of these laws).

Yes, companies do write very interesting job descriptions.. and many of them even make them so far out of reach of a Barbadian that you know they already have an ex-pat earmarked for the job.. Soo.. fair is fair (or not).. just depends on how you look at it.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or anybody else; it seems like it's an important subject to you.

My whole point is, that I would love to work, am qualified and hardworking, have experience and could really contribute and do something for the local community, am willing to help out for free in a school or children's home or nursery, but there is basically no chance to be given a chance.

And of course - we did discuss the move with my husband before he accepted the job. But we never thought I would be stuck at home with no opportunity to do something for others, which is what my whole life has always been about - I feel very uncomfortable sitting by the pool or on the beach all day, reading, browsing the net and pampering myself. I would much rather be teaching children how to spell or read Shakespeare.

Thanks for the tip about voluntary work too. I didn't realise there are any laws regarding this - I've never come across an informative website on this subject (just paid work and permits are explained).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.