British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   jet skis (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/jet-skis-641324/)

Bajan Police Nov 19th 2009 8:50 pm

jet skis

My brother is thinking of joining me on the island, I think there are too many jet ski operators on the west coast - is there sufficient trade around Mullins for him to set up a business ?

neal brown Nov 19th 2009 9:36 pm

Re: jet skis

If you are talking about a jet ski business,forget it you can go into that business only if you have a lot of money to put down the drain.

Sunniebgi Nov 19th 2009 10:15 pm

on this, I will have to agree with Neal.. amazing .. but true.. if you have tons of money.. GO FOR IT.. and friends in high (and maybe low) places.. GOT FOR IT.. other than that.. I wouldn't even try.. or you could and run everyone else out of business.. but be prepared.. Insurance is the big thing.. as well as the likely cost of the a jet ski.. even to bring one in will cost a mint.

good luck

neal brown Nov 19th 2009 10:55 pm

I had own 2 Jetskis am talking about the new vx110 Yamaha, brand new straight from Riva in miami.Each Jetski cost me $37,500 BDS,the insurance was little over $5,400 each comprensive.Within a year and a half the value for the jetski drop to less than 50%,the guys on the beach is fighting like dogs for business,within 3 to 6 month if you are lucky the jetski start calling for parts,there are not many guys that fix them dont even dream of going to yamaha in bridgetown,the last time i bought a battery it was just over $400BDS,most of the parts you have to order from Riva in Miami.And worst of all jet ski are consider high risk by the insurance so although you are paying thousands of dollars for insurance if you get into an accident it is very unlikely the insurance will pay whether you are right or wrong the only people that insured Jetskis are IMPS insurance set up by united insurance if the insurance decide to pay anything they will give you $100BDS per day for 8 days and thats it.Unless you have a list of how much money you are making on a daily basis,if there is any questions on jetskis in Barbados i can answer them all,its a waste of time money effort there is no profit what so ever.

zanne Nov 20th 2009 11:09 am

Yes, I had also heard that they are very territorial and there are also issues with the government and the beaches.

shines Nov 20th 2009 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bajan Police (Post 8110968)
My brother is thinking of joining me on the island, I think there are too many jet ski operators on the west coast - is there sufficient trade around Mullins for him to set up a business ?

Definietely not on Mullins, there are already several operators on that beach who have been there for many years, they are VERY territorial

neal brown Nov 20th 2009 8:48 pm

Make sure you have boat license or you your brother and the coast gaurd will talk.

BeachZombie Nov 27th 2009 2:24 am

The guys at Mullins got into a little bit of an argument today with a catamaran dude when I was there for a quick swim. I him mention how territorial the jet ski guys are...just my 2 cents.

neal brown Nov 27th 2009 6:47 am

Te guys are just greedy thats all.

kingfish Nov 28th 2009 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 8111077)
If you are talking about a jet ski business,forget it you can go into that business only if you have a lot of money to put down the drain.

I can't agree with this statement, we have been running a very profitable business on Tobago and are currently looking at the Barbados market. If the operation is run properly with the right attitude and equipment it can generate a good income. I would also remark the craft you describe in your earlier post are totally unsuitable for this business.

Sunniebgi Nov 28th 2009 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by kingfish (Post 8131061)
I can't agree with this statement, we have been running a very profitable business on Tobago and are currently looking at the Barbados market. If the operation is run properly with the right attitude and equipment it can generate a good income. I would also remark the craft you describe in your earlier post are totally unsuitable for this business.

Kingfish.. go for it.. just make sure you do the homework.. it's not about not having the business.. and it's great if the operations is run properly.. that's not the issue.. the issue is the duties placee on the importation of equipment, maintenance issues and insurance. Sooo.. I'm guessing you have, just make sure you do your homework before moving in to this market. and yes.. these guys who already run these businesses are really very territorial.. So I'd be careful about that as well.

neal brown Nov 28th 2009 4:55 pm

Kingfish you have no idea how it work in Barbados this is not Tobago,ive been to tobago a few years ago and ride jetskis they do not even have registration numbers on them.It is true anyone running a business and budget the money properly should profit,but what you fail to understand that the jetski operation in Barbados is a total faliure your out put is much greater that your input,i have seen big business men with 5 or more jetskis shut down they operation because of the high cost.It looks fine and dandy standing on the side line and seeing the amount of tourist and think about getting involved,they are much more jetskis in Barbados than Tobago so you are welcome to try,go and interview the guys on the beach before you start,if you have money to waste my advise to you is donate it to the homeless or the Barbados Cancer Society,there are a lot of organisations out there that need funding.I hope you can get license and registration which the government is not looking to flood the beach with anymore jetskis.

Bajan Police Nov 28th 2009 5:08 pm

After looking into this we have decided that we are going to wait until the new condos at St Peters are occupied - I think we will make a killing there, look at the bucks they are charging for those places. Kingfish I would stay in Tobago - aint room for you in Barbados.

kingfish Nov 28th 2009 7:14 pm

Sorry if this is getting off topic a bit but I will not be put off by one remark from someone who obviously knows nothing about this business. we have done our homework and it is viable. Neal I have to say you would not be the sort of person we would be looking to employ with that sort of attitude.

neal brown Nov 28th 2009 8:36 pm

Kingfish what attitude are you talking about have i said anything bad on this topic,or this is just something to get the moderators attention.I certainly dont want to be employ by you for sure and for your information the last time i was employ by anyone was in 1991-1994 after that i was always self employed and have a good bank account and dont see myself looking for any kind of employment in my forseeable future,what you are planing to do i have been there done that so dont even go there.Anyhow i will like to stick to the topic,you mention the craft i have mention VX110 is not suitable for the business,can you please tell us which craft is more suitable for the business,i am sure Bajanpolice and many more are awaiting your answer.