jelly fish

Old Jan 14th 2009, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jelly fish

Hi everyone,

I was just doing some research on other forums and came across some info about deathly jelly fish in Dominican Rep. I've never thought about being careful when swimming in the sea, but should I? Are there any dangarous creatures to look out for?
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: jelly fish

Hi Minisoufka,

I'm a diver, so I spend as much time under water as possible. There are a ton of beautiful critters under water here in Barbados, but it's unlikely that any could hurt you, especially if you're just swimming around. If you stick a finger in the mouth of a moray eel, well, expect him to bite you.

I've seen barracuda and sting rays, which I suppose technically could hurt you, but they are not seeking humans to hurt. They're just looking for a snack, or a mate, or both... and you are none of these things to them. With that in mind, it's not wise to go chasing after them, of course. Calm observation is the wisest course when you see these guys - and they are beautiful, so observing is an easy thing to do.

I am not sure we even have stinging jellyfish here - just the non-stinging kind, I think. I haven't seen any stingers yet. The worst that's happened to me is getting bitten by sea lice - no worse than a mosquito bite.

Larger animals are in way deeper water. You just won't see them (although I'd really love to!).
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanx Foxy.

Now that you've mentioned sea lice (does it look as disgustingly horrible as it sounds??? ) I thought about those ble yucky creatures near Oistins Beach (it's not Miami Beach - just a small beach near Oistins shopping centre) - they look like white half-leeches (ble, ble, ble!!!) and live on the wet rocks. I was wondering if they get into the sea and chase me in order to eat me up?
(gosh, I feel sick just thinking about them
Old Jan 14th 2009, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

LOL, no the sea lice are not as gross as they sound. I have a hard time seeing them sometimes. I really only get bit by them if, while diving, I grab onto a rope the boat is tied to. I don't think you'd get bitten much just with regular swimming.

I'm not sure what the things on the rocks are, but I'll ask my marine biologist friend. She knows everything in and around the sea. I'm sure you're more worried about them than they are about you, LOL! Not trying to tease