British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   which island (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/island-425095/)

mia44 Feb 8th 2007 10:09 pm

which island

;) Hi there, we are looking to buy a property in the caribbean and were looking at St Lucia as all properties there seem to be value for money, there must be a reason for this, have they got a bad crime rate or something, Barbados is sooooo expensive, someone also mentioned Antigua to me as being reasonable. Anyway we are not rich or anything but thinking about buying something with the equity in our prop in GB with a view to rental return and eventually moving over to the WI at a later date, we have been to Barbados lots of times and my partner is entitled to a Bajan passport/nationality as his father was Bajan, but does this give us any perks when buying a property at all?????? We love Barbados and the Bajan people but the property prices are a bit off putting for the average person. With this in mind we wondered if anyone has any info on Antigua or St Lucia to compare with Barbados, cost of living, crime rates, rental prospects, or up and coming developments which may improve tourism. Looking at the current info regarding the cricket world cup 2007, St Lucia has declared that 65% of tickets are still unsold for the prelim rounds, doesn't sound good does it!!!!! any info gratefully received, love the chat MMMMM

otterlake Apr 19th 2007 4:14 pm

Re: which island

bequia is also quite nice, you might want to look into it. st lucia is very pretty, still quite underdeveloped but a major cruise ship hub. barbados, is indeed, very pricey although if you can get your hands on a plantation estate and rent it out...and then of course there are the trump villas in canouan;)

pgtips Apr 27th 2007 3:39 pm

Re: which island

Originally Posted by mia44 (Post 4379824)
;) Hi there, we are looking to buy a property in the caribbean and were looking at St Lucia as all properties there seem to be value for money, there must be a reason for this, have they got a bad crime rate or something, Barbados is sooooo expensive, someone also mentioned Antigua to me as being reasonable. Anyway we are not rich or anything but thinking about buying something with the equity in our prop in GB with a view to rental return and eventually moving over to the WI at a later date, we have been to Barbados lots of times and my partner is entitled to a Bajan passport/nationality as his father was Bajan, but does this give us any perks when buying a property at all?????? We love Barbados and the Bajan people but the property prices are a bit off putting for the average person. With this in mind we wondered if anyone has any info on Antigua or St Lucia to compare with Barbados, cost of living, crime rates, rental prospects, or up and coming developments which may improve tourism. Looking at the current info regarding the cricket world cup 2007, St Lucia has declared that 65% of tickets are still unsold for the prelim rounds, doesn't sound good does it!!!!! any info gratefully received, love the chat MMMMM

St Lucia is indeed a beautiful island, but you must be careful what part of the island you buy in and hence you may see some very cheap property.
Most Expats and Returnees buy in the North of the island, around Rodney Bay.
This is the most developed part of the island and the hub of the tourist industry. Also good private and a new secondary school, two supermarkets and a cinema. Beautiful Marina and some swanky yatchs. It depends what you want from the island, but this is where most expats are at. Rodney Bay, Cap Estate, Bonne Terre and environs. Mind you this part of the island is getting quite expensive as there has been a construction boom, so you better get in whilst you still can. St Lucia is tipped to be on par with Barbados within the next 10 years, so you can imagine what prices will be like in the coming years. I will be there within the next year and have many contacts on the island, so if you need further info just ask.