Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Infomation needed for move to BGI - pls help

Infomation needed for move to BGI - pls help

Old Mar 7th 2008, 11:53 am
Just Joined

NyandKoby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Infomation needed for move to BGI - pls help

i would really appreciate any help/infomation. Have been getting mixed information from all other the place.

I have a dual passport/citizenship (british/guyanese) but am moving to live in Barbados this summer, just me and my 5 year old son. I will not be working for the first few months but will be in employment by october 2008. So will be on a 6mth visa. I work in the Caribbean Hotel Industry in the Uk and have been travelling to BGI since I was 19 twice a year so Im well established with both the 'tourist' and residential area's as such.

1, Does anyone know the status of how my son can attend a goverment school (st davids in particular ChCh) I have family in Barbados but I am not a direct descendant of a Bajan Citizen. I am trying to avoid private school as I would like my son to go to school with our cousins and my friends kids.

2, Does my or my son's guyanese citizenship carry any weight under the Caricom rulings? Also, does it help with regards to jobs etc if you hold 2 diplomas and a degree?

3, does anyone know how much tax/duty you pay on barrels at the port?

4, Does anyone have any infomation on Summer Camps in barbados for the school holidays?

Really appreciate it
Thanks
Ny
Old Mar 9th 2008, 3:49 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Infomation needed for move to BGI - pls help

[QUOTE=NyandKoby;6030372]i would really appreciate any help/infomation. Have been getting mixed information from all other the place.

I have a dual passport/citizenship (british/guyanese) but am moving to live in Barbados this summer, just me and my 5 year old son. I will not be working for the first few months but will be in employment by october 2008. So will be on a 6mth visa. I work in the Caribbean Hotel Industry in the Uk and have been travelling to BGI since I was 19 twice a year so Im well established with both the 'tourist' and residential area's as such.

Are you coming to Barbados with a job already, but one that doesn't begin until October??? I will worn you that unfortunately, holding a guyaneese passport and coming to Barbados is not always a good thing. However, if you have been doing this already for a while on holiday it may make a difference.

1, Does anyone know the status of how my son can attend a goverment school (st davids in particular ChCh) I have family in Barbados but I am not a direct descendant of a Bajan Citizen. I am trying to avoid private school as I would like my son to go to school with our cousins and my friends kids.

While I'm not very familiar with this, I have friends who as non-nationals/expats, sent their children to govt school They had to apply with the ministry of education for this, but I think also had to contact the school. I'd suggest that you contact the school first and see what they say.. It is a small school, next to ST. David's Church.

2, Does my or my son's guyanese citizenship carry any weight under the Caricom rulings? Also, does it help with regards to jobs etc if you hold 2 diplomas and a degree? Caricom Rules at the moment only extend to professionals and certain degree holders (I could be wrong and this could have change since last I heard about it).

3, does anyone know how much tax/duty you pay on barrels at the port?
(I personally think it's up to the agent you get at the time, but I'm sure there are set taxes and duties that you will pay, but it is dependent on whats in the barrel.

4, Does anyone have any infomation on Summer Camps in barbados for the school holidays? The National Sports Council runs a good summer camp. Also a place on the beach in Carlisle Bay called Aquarious Water Sports. Those usually take place during Mid July to Early August.. and then those camps stop for the rest of the summer.

Really appreciate it

Thanks
Ny[/QUOTE

See my responses above