Importing pets to Barbados

Old Apr 20th 2009, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Caymanite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing pets to Barbados

Good Morning All,

Can anyone assist me? If we do get the go ahead to move to Barbados then we have a dog that we would want to bring too. We are currently in the Cayman Islands which is a recognised rabies free country. However I see the following on barbados.org regarding importing pets and Cayman Islands is not on the list........but it is rabies free so I am confused. I am not likely to send my dog from Cayman to the UK to spend 6 months in quarantine before sending it to Barbados!

Help!!!!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Importing pets to Barbados

Sorry to deliver bad news, but that's what you'd have to do (UK 6-mo quarantine). If Cayman is not on the list, they don't care that it's coming from a rabies-free country.

I went through the same agony with my cat just over a year ago, even though the poor thing has never seen the outdoors (therefore rabies-free). He's currently enjoying his new owner in Canada. Sad for me.

You might be able to go through the PETS plan (google it) but even through the PETS plan you have to fly the animal VIA THE UK

Unfortunately, they're a little paranoid about it here. So those are the rules.

Good luck,
Fox

p.s. you could try calling the head honcho vet, though, just to be sure. That number should be on the website with all the importing pets info.

Last edited by Foxy_fromCanada; Apr 20th 2009 at 8:14 pm. Reason: added a p.s.
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice. My Doggy has a pet passport through the PETS plan from when we brought her to Cayman from the UK (well we actually got her when we first lived in Cayman, then brought her back to the UK with us, then took her back to Cayman, shame she can't claim airmiles ;-) )

It does seem ridiculous I think, I can't justify the cost of flying her from the Caribbean to the UK then back to the Caribbean!!!

Sorry to hear about your cat, we are funny about our furry friends aren't we? Even though my dog likes to jump on the bed to wake me up at first light I couldn't do without her though ask me again the next time she puts dof hair all over my best outfit
Old Apr 20th 2009, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

That should have read DOG hair - & I call myself a Secretary
Old Apr 20th 2009, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

haha

Wow, your dog is a world traveller!

I think, given your situation, you should try calling the person in charge of accepting & declining imported pets. Just to be sure. It seems like your situation might be a bit different?

Good luck,
F
Old Apr 20th 2009, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Is the PETS still valid? I am pretty certain that if it is valid the animal only has to transit the UK and then on to Barbados-- call the Chief Vet, and see how far you get...