Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Importing my personnel affects

Importing my personnel affects

Old Apr 4th 2011, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

davews is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing my personnel affects

Hi
I am moving out to Barbados and have been trying to get some information on how much duty I would have to pay on my personnel affects.

I went to the customs office at the port and spoke to a woman there I am not to sure if she was right, she implied that as long as they were more than 3 years old there would be no duty.

Dave
Old Apr 5th 2011, 1:38 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing my personnel affects

3 years is about right.. I know the other post says one year, but I think it's 3. of course, if what you have is in great condition, you may want to try to find the receipts.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:36 am
Just Joined

davews is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you for your reply yes 3 years sounds more realistic but finding reciepts not so easy

Dave
Old Apr 10th 2011, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

We had to pay duty on all the stuff we shipped here.

They just wouldn't release anything and we had to basically go down and haggle. We didn't have receipts for anything, some of the things were gifts anyway so they hadn't cost us anything.

OK, we did bring a lot of paintings and I guess they thought we were just going to sell them here.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

satellite_ian will become famous soon enough

At the risk of repeating myself lol. Last September when I imported a whole house full of personal effects the advice from my shipping agent and from customs was that personal items over 1 year can be imported duty free. The shipping agent brought the whole container - still sealed - to my property and it was opened in front of customs and environmental staff. The environmental people come to make sure there are no issues with wood etc. As a result I got all my stuff in without paying a cent in duty.

If you have items that are not obviously "personal" then the rules maybe different - perhaps that was behind Cartoon's situation given the paintings.

Ian
Old Apr 11th 2011, 11:08 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

interesting about the paintings and the shipping. summer of 2008 I spent 6 weeks in North Carolina going through my parents home packing up all of the items that were mine personally and those that I had chosen to take from my parents estate. I had found a company near my hometown who would pack and ship my items to Barbados and I did my work on customs brokers here and round one who was much more reasonable than the other. They came and tightly packed a pallet size container. You can imagine a small space crammed with things, many Cartoon, were old reproduction paintings and the old wooden frames they were mounted in (were are talking 50 plus years in age for some). In my choosing of items I actually thought these would be the easiest for me to get to Barbados. and in addition a ANTIQUE OAK SELLERS HOOSIER KITCHEN CABINET.

it wasn't until I was speaking with the customs broker and having sent him a list, did he advise that any item that was wood would likely be destroyed if not verifiable that it had been treated.. and here I was bringing in old, surely not treated wooden picture frames and my hutch.

and we are talking these buys packed these things tight.. on the pallet, wrapped in a strong cardboard shell and strapped tight side to side and top to bottom.. things were not going anywhere.

I worried.. had my story.. but certainly not willing to have my items destroyed or sent back to where they came.

They arrived.. I stayed in contact with the broker. Next thing I know. the pallet container and my broker appear at my house. no customs agent nothing. they reviewed my list, looked at the tightly packed container.. and sent it on. I think I may have paid a very nominal brokerage fee and duty because the outcome wasn't much more than what he had originally quoted.

and I was a very very happy person.

the moral of this story is.. honestly.. and sadly.. I still firmly believe it's which customs officer AND which broker you use as to how much you end up paying in duties... Sad but true...
Old Apr 11th 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

cartoon is an unknown quantity at this point

Will we ever know?

There were 6 or 7 paintings from my house in England, a few small ornaments and wedding photos.

Everything was 3 or 4 years old.

The rest of the stuff is in storage in the UK now.

Originally Posted by satellite_ian
At the risk of repeating myself lol. Last September when I imported a whole house full of personal effects the advice from my shipping agent and from customs was that personal items over 1 year can be imported duty free. The shipping agent brought the whole container - still sealed - to my property and it was opened in front of customs and environmental staff. The environmental people come to make sure there are no issues with wood etc. As a result I got all my stuff in without paying a cent in duty.

If you have items that are not obviously "personal" then the rules maybe different - perhaps that was behind Cartoon's situation given the paintings.

Ian
Old Nov 12th 2011, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

afrocomb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys.

I am very new to this forum! does anybody know of any good customers brokers who are going work for there moneyand not Rip me Off! plz..
Old Nov 13th 2011, 12:49 pm

RICHFIELD CUSTOMS BROKERS INC.
18 EAST, VAUXHALL GARDENS, BRIDGETOWN, CHRIST CHURCH, 15073, Barbados
Telephone: 2464372045
Fax: 2464370980

I can't remember the guys name, but I had good success with them.. I'd suggest calling to make sure he is still doing this. (you never know)..
Old Nov 14th 2011, 10:52 am
Just Joined

afrocomb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi

I can't remember the guys name, but I had good success with them.. I'd suggest calling to make sure he is still doing this. (you never know)..
Many thanks thats will be great help....
Old Nov 17th 2011, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

nilocp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi

That would be Adrian Harewood.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

robbabank is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nilocp
That would be Adrian Harewood.
Thanks to all.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 10:59 am

Thanks nilocp

remember the name Adrian, but for some reason couldn't find my other documentation. anyway.. saved me a boatload of money (no pun intended)...

Was originally quoted something like 2000.00BBD to clear my shipment and deliver to my house (by another company quoting me from the port in Barbados to my door in Barbados). paid about 800.00bbd for it through Adrian.. and he never quoted anymore than about that.. soo..
Old Nov 24th 2011, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

robbabank is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Guys

I think i need to hook up with this Adrian guy..