Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Immigration Town Hall Meetings on Green Paper

Immigration Town Hall Meetings on Green Paper

Old Jan 28th 2010, 3:50 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration Town Hall Meetings on Green Paper

Tonight, January 28th, 2010, at 7:30pm The Immigraiton Department will hold it's first Town Hall meeting on the Green Paper. This will take place at the Christ Church Parish Church Hall. Senior Immigraiton Department officlas and the Min of State Senator Arni Walters will be on hand to explain the policy as contained in the Green Paper.. As well as to seek input from the public.

Other meetings for those that can't go tonight.

Feb 4 - Alexandra School
Feb 11 - Princess Margaret Secondary School

just thought you would like to know..

the link is.. www.gisbarbados.gov.bb... I'm not sure of the link for the green paper, but I think I remember it being linking to it on here

Last edited by Sunniebgi; Jan 28th 2010 at 4:00 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:04 pm
Banned

reslax is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration Town Hall Meetings on Green Paper

No one can say the current Bajan government didn't give them an opportunity to voice their concerns regarding the immigration issue. When the green paper was first published, everyone was given the opportunity to email the government with their concerns. Now they are being given the opportunity to attend town hall meetings and voice their concerns publicly and directly to senior officials from the Immigration department. That is a far cry from the situation that existed during the previous administration. Then, people had to voice their concerns on radio call in programs. Most of the time their comments were censored. Their complaints were ignored by the previous leader, except on occasion when he took the time to tell them they were xenophobic.

Anyone who doesn't attend a meeting and voice his or her concerns should not complain about immigration matters in the future.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 7:40 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reslax
No one can say the current Bajan government didn't give them an opportunity to voice their concerns regarding the immigration issue. When the green paper was first published, everyone was given the opportunity to email the government with their concerns. Now they are being given the opportunity to attend town hall meetings and voice their concerns publicly and directly to senior officials from the Immigration department. That is a far cry from the situation that existed during the previous administration. Then, people had to voice their concerns on radio call in programs. Most of the time their comments were censored. Their complaints were ignored by the previous leader, except on occasion when he took the time to tell them they were xenophobic.

Anyone who doesn't attend a meeting and voice his or her concerns should not complain about immigration matters in the future.
Reslax I would love to go and voice my frustration and concerns but, as many others may feel, its far too risky when you are trying to get your status sorted out - I have already been told and i will quote this "This is not your home - so now go home" from a top immigration official !!! I would fear, and with good grounds,(this is the reality im living so dont doubt it happens) that I would be rounded up tomorrow and shipped out of the country so I will keep my mouth shut until such a time as i might feel safer in speaking up but i cant see that time coming.....
Old Jan 28th 2010, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't go tonight, but will definitely make it to one of the others. If anyone goes tonight, perhaps they could let us know a little bit about how it goes, some of what's said etc?
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:04 pm
Banned

The only advice I can give anyone is to be on your best behavior when dealing with immigration officials all over the world, not just in Barbados. Many years ago, I was traveling through JFK Airport in the U.S. I did not know what documents I was to give the customs agent. I asked her what I should give her. She very rudely said, "JUST PUT EVERYTHING OUT THERE." I got upset and told her she was rude and should get some education. That was a mistake. She said something in Spanish to another agent, whom I was sent to. He lectured me about what I had said. I was then sent to another agent who searched my suitcase. Apparently the second agent had filled him in on what I had said. He lectured me. I was in tears before I left the airport. The three of them had decided they would teach me a lesson. Believe me, I learned my lesson. Whenever I go through any airport anywhere in the world, I smile at the immigration officers, talk softly to them, and am as cooperative as can be. I don't have problems with immigration officers anymore.

When you go to a foreign country that you think you want to stay in, you must try to get what the immigration officers tell you, you need to get. If you are unable to get what is required, come up with an alternative and be satisfied with the alternative. For example, if you want to live in the country permanently but are told you can't, then work out an arrangement where you can live there 5 or 6 months out of the year. If that doesn't work, try traveling to the place several times a year. If that is not feasible, just go somewhere else. I personally wouldn't fight with the people, but everybody has to decide for themselves what is best for them to do.

Last edited by reslax; Jan 28th 2010 at 10:12 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2010, 10:18 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

couldn't go today..not enough time to plan.. would like to go one night to listen but not sure which.. I actually thought they were having more than just 3. but oh well. maybe the one on the 11th.. is anyone else game?? let me know.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point

How does the general population feel about immigration here? I get the sense that people don't really want more immigrants and it doesn't matter where they come from either.

This doesn't mean that they are rude or that they are treating immigrants differently, but I just get the feeling sometimes. I'm not sure if this is the majority though. Can someone shed some light here?

Anyway, if the majority feel this way, why would you want to stay somewhere where you're not really wanted? Unless it has something to do with financial or personal security reasons in your country of origin..

Zombie.

p.s. I still think Bajans are the nicest people I've met in my travels so far.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

All I would say is don't believe what you hear from the all-too-vocal minority.

Every reasonable Barbadian I've spoken to has been able to apply some common sense to the issue of immigration - it's absolutely vital that workers with skills that locals don't possess are able to come here. It's also absolutely vital to the economy that wealthy investors choose to settle here. What most sensible people dislike is a process of immigration that is uncontrolled, and they take a particular dislike to illegal immigrants who are taking work under the table. That attitude is no different to that I would expect to hear from Brits, Americans etc. in their birth countries.

Also, I think it's relevant to remember that a great number of Barbadians have family members who have moved to Britain and many other countries. They understand why people choose to emigrate, because many have seen close friends and family do the same thing.

I really have never been given cause to think a "majority" of people don't want my family to live here. The few who might think that way about my family (given our circumstances and what we offer this country) are racists, quite frankly.

I also don't think many people would consider how the residents of Barbados feel about it when they move here. We move for our own reasons, to better our own lives in one way or another. For me, it was a financial decision, in part - moving here helped me avoid capital gains tax. But there were many places I could have done that, Barbados stood out because I felt it was safe, comfortable, beautiful and a place I knew well from taking holidays here. Other people's motivations are no doubt entirely different.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 9:10 pm
Banned

BeachZombie,

I am a Barbadian. I think Richard Hoad, a popular White Barbadian commentator for the “Nation” newspaper, sums up best how the majority, not a minority, of Barbadians feel about immigration in Barbados in his “LOWDOWN” column dated January 18, 2008.

He said, in part,

“As Leroy McClean has said, the Bees [Barbados Labour Party] refused to listen to the people… In vain did we tell them we aren't prepared to sell off our land to rich foreigners so as to afford a short-term, artificial, "high" standard of living. We don't like gated communities.

Federation, CARICOM, CSME, call it what you like, should remain like it is in other Caribbean territories, a pipe dream that prime ministers meet to discuss at receptions with shrimps and big drinks. Owen Arthur [former Prime Minister of Barbados] wanted us to be the only jackasses "looking for friends" as the old people would say, inviting all and sundry to come in here and take over. He should have spent more time in rum-shops and heard Bajan people's views on all this.

Finally, in my opinion, the Bees didn't convince anyone with their promises of a "developed" Barbados by 2020. We hear the disenchanted moans of visitors from "developed" countries every day. We see their lifestyles in the news, the crime, violence, racial and religious tension, terrorism, breakdown of society. Why should we make the same mistakes?

Owen has been our chauffeur [prime minister] for the past 14 years. A competent driver. All we [Barbadians] asked was for him to drop us by Sandra's food van outside Sandy Lane for a rice 'n' stew. But no, he insisted on taking us to Restaurant at South Sea for carpaccio of ostrich tenderloin and deep-fried alligator [things that are foreign to Barbadians]. Which we don't want and can't afford. So we had no choice [but to kick him out of office]."

To read the entire article, click on the following link. The words in [] are my words.

http://archive.nationnews.com/archiv...on%0A%09%09%09

Last edited by reslax; Feb 4th 2010 at 9:27 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:03 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm very interesting post - are you a journalist Reslax?
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:44 pm
Forum Regular

I find Hoad's comments negative and inflammatory, not only in the obvious way (towards immigrants), but also towards Barbadians. It implies native Bajans are too backwards-thinking and insular to look outside and seek development or wealth-generation. That's not very positive, is it?!

I also find his comments that Barbados's problems with crime, violence etc are caused by immigration entirely xenophobic.

I am impressed with his claims to speak for "the people" though. I wonder how many of the island's 260,000 residents he's spoken to in order to come to his conclusions?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:44 am
Banned

Ikon,

Many of us Bajans are not impressed with the "wealth" and "development" that folks like you keep trying to convince us we need. Many of us have been to the UK, the USA, Canada, and elsewhere, where we have seen the "bling" and heard the "bells and whistles." We have seen the skyscrapers, the mansions, the SUV's, the wide screen tv's, the designer clothes, etc. Many of us have decided that we would prefer the wide open spaces, sea views, cohesive communities, natural environment, peace, and tranquility that once existed in Barbados but is disappearing because of overdevelopment.

I find it interesting that people from "developed" countries move to Barbados claiming they want a different life and then proceed to try to turn Barbados into a replica of what they left behind. After Barbados becomes much like what they left behind, they will then complain it lacks natural beauty and move on to somewhere else, leaving Bajans with their unsightly mess.

Well, the majority of Bajans, not a vocal minority, recently stood up and said, "No" to our former prime minister, Owen Arthur, who promoted an immigration free-for-all, and elected Prime Minister, David Thompson, who we have entrusted with overhauling immigration. Like Mr. Hoad said in his article, David Thompson is likely to continue many of Owen Arthur's policies, but at least we will get some of what we want.

Most Bajans don't mind having some immigrants move to Barbados. We know immigration is vital to a country's development. We just don't want the deluge of people we have been getting lately, and we want to be able to pick and choose some of the immigrants.

Last edited by reslax; Feb 5th 2010 at 2:49 am.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:51 am
Banned

No, Serendipity. I am not a journalist. I am a concerned Bajan.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

And that's exactly what the immigration policy, if enforced, should allow - steady immigration of those with money to spend, skills to offer or both.

As someone who has moved to Barbados, I certainly wouldn't welcome an immigration free-for-all. I want to be somewhere that's focused on those with something to offer rather than those who prove a drain on the system.

I'm curious Reslax... you're Barbadian and clearly have an interest in immigration, but what brings you to a board for British expats to talk about it? It seems like you have issues with immigration but instead of tackling them at a political level, you're raising them with the kind of immigrants who have mostly played by the rules in Barbados and been able to offer something to the economy and society. All you're likely to find on a board dedicated to helping those who've decided to emigrate is conflict, it seems....
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by reslax
Ikon,
Most Bajans don't mind having some immigrants move to Barbados. We know immigration is vital to a country's development. We just don't want the deluge of people we have been getting lately, and we want to be able to pick and choose some of the immigrants.

Wow really aint sure how to take that comment will need to digest it .... Reslax you seem to feel you speak on behalf of the Bajan nation - have you done research into the "We" factor enough for you to be able to speak on Barbadians behalf ?

Also I did ask you before are you living in Barbados? Thoughtyou said previously you lived abroad?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.