Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Immigration aint playing!!!

Immigration aint playing!!!

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Immigration aint playing!!!

I thought so too...
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

bimchick is an unknown quantity at this point

I have no idea. I guess I'll see next time I come into the Island, though I did have my passport at immigration for oh say 3 months....
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bimchick
I have no idea. I guess I'll see next time I come into the Island, though I did have my passport at immigration for oh say 3 months....
Actually... as there is no stamp in the passport to specifically say that i overstayed my welcome, how would they possibly know when i re-enter... so theres no way they could know to prevent me from re-entering...
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

vikki85 is an unknown quantity at this point

They do know if you over stay your welcome. I was there for 6 months in 2007. My ticket was booked 7 July 2007 - 4th Jan 2008, so I was within the 6 month period. When I went for my extension, they only gave me a stamp until Dec31st 2007. When I questioned it, I was told to come back in Dec toget the extra week. When I went back in Dec, I was told that I did not need to extra 4 days stamped as they give you a weeks grace.

My boyfriend called immagration in July to ask how I could go about moving over. As soon as they typed my name in the computer, the women told him that I had over stayed my welcome by 4 days last time. He then explained that I was told I was given a weeks grace and she was ok wih this. I was so worried about coming back on to the island after that,but I have had no problems so far.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Better to be safe than sorry, I guess. Good thing you checked into it.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Well the woman at the airport didn't even look in my passport, and there's no stamp. So they certainly don't know that I overstayed my welcome. I'll be back on the island visiting soon enough!
Old Jan 4th 2009, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

flyingprincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Did the person at immigration at the airport take the little white slip off u when u left? They dont stamp or even need to look at ur passport when ur leavin and it will only be when u come back that the problems start if youve overstayed. That little slip they take off u when u leave is what they put in the computer to say the date youve left the island, as that slip has ur passport number and name on it.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Also bear in mind when you leave the Island and go to where ever you are going, they will stamp you in there. So your passport will show that you entered Barbados on one date, e.g. 1st Jan 08. and you were stamped for 30 days... The next stamp in your passport will be when you enter UK (for example) on 1st November 2008... This will prove you were in Barbados far longer than 30 days...
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

well in the end it doesn't matter because I am married to a Bajan and have every right to be on the island, and it was immigration's fault that I overstayed my welcome because they should have given me 1 year as a citizen applicant and only gave me 30 days.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lindi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry if I appear to be dim but. . . . . Is it right that there is a chance that immigration would stamp your passport for a year if you've applied for citizenship?

L
Old Jan 5th 2009, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes Lindi, that's been known to happen. No guarantees, though, and as you've probably gathered from the various threads, it really depends on who you get at Immigration that day.

Good luck.
F
Old Jan 5th 2009, 3:34 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Bimchick it might not be relevant in your case but i think anyone else who might think about overstaying and its not worth getting ya visa extended etc as this thread may have indicated should think twice ..... do the right thing and if it aint meant to be it wont be but at least ya tried

Dipidy
Old Jan 6th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shines
Also bear in mind when you leave the Island and go to where ever you are going, they will stamp you in there. So your passport will show that you entered Barbados on one date, e.g. 1st Jan 08. and you were stamped for 30 days... The next stamp in your passport will be when you enter UK (for example) on 1st November 2008... This will prove you were in Barbados far longer than 30 days...

Hmmm.... you don't get a stamp when you enter the UK? Or any other cuntries in Europe - as far as I know and as far as my own passport shows. So they can't really draw conclusions on the basis of this.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

Yep that's right - they can't tell from your passport if you have overstayed - as they only stamp passports on entry, and UK passports are not stamped on entry to the UK. So the only way they can tell if you have overstayed would be from the white departures slip that you hand in.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:13 am
Just Joined

lettiesmall1957 is an unknown quantity at this point

Am a new member to this forum. Talking about immigration , I am married to a Bajan and applied for citizenship in London in April 2008.We came to the island in December 2008 as my husband is a returnee, we checked whether my application had been processed and they said they had already got it but they were working on it becoz they said now citizenship through marriage is 3 years although London had said 6 months to two years. My question is, can one apply for a work permit siting that she is married to a bajan, apparently some bajans think you can do that while waiting for the citizenship application to be processed and one does not need to be sponsored by a company, is this true? I wonder. Thank you for the replies in advance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.