Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Immigration advice required

Immigration advice required

Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

DaveWilkinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration advice required

Hello

Three years ago my wife and I purchased a house in St. Philip. Since that date, together with our two children, we have spent our annual summer vacations here. In September 2011, when I am planning to retire from work, we were very much hoping to come and stay here permanently.

I own my home in Barbados outright, together with another property in the UK (my wife and I are English), and am fortunate enough to have acquired sufficient funds to no longer have to continue working. Given that my children will be aged eight and nine (in 2011) I will obviously need to continue their education, which I am happy to do privately.

My wife's initial contact with the immigration department in Barbados was very negative, to the extent that the lady at the desk refused to even give her the required forms. After returning home and speaking by telephone to someone more senior, my wife was later able to return and pick up these documents. However, my experiences to date, after having spoken to many people on the island, and having read several threads on the subject on this website, suggests that the entire process of immigration into Barbados is fraught with problems.

Unlike some of the foreigners I have met here, who effectively stay on tourist visas, extending as necessary and/or leaving the country and then returning, I am unable to do this because of my children’s requirement for uninterrupted education. Effectively, this means that my wife and I either have to get residency here before September 2011 or we can't come at all.

With this in mind, I would be very grateful for any advice on the best approach to securing this. I would be particularly appreciative if someone could recommend a good immigration lawyer and for any information on the best private primary school education.

I am currently on the Island but leave for England on Friday 21st August.

Thanks very much.

Dave Wilkinson.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice
Default Re: Immigration advice required

Hi Dave

If you can prove that you are able to support yourself financially, you are, in theory entitled to 3 year (renewable) non-national residency status. I would certainly advise that you use a lawyer, i believe the fees to be between Bbds $3,500 - $5,000. If you require further info, PM me.

Sara
Old Aug 18th 2009, 10:50 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I totally agree with Sara on this with regards to getting the lawyer.. I'm sorry, I can't help in that area, but I know others on this board have used them and can possibly recommend someone to you.

I would also suggest that you go ahead and contact schools with regards to placement. I know that sounds a bit out there since you are not looking to have them enter until 2011, but .. the earlier you have the application in, the better they stand a chance of being enrolled. Age 8 and 9 will (based on birthdate) class 2 and 3 (or J2 and 3) which usually, in my experience have spaces in some of the private schools, but.. you never can tell. You will also need to decide whether you want them to follow the Barbados Ministry of Education Curriculum or the IB Program. There is only one IB school on the island and you would certainly want to make sure, if this is the option you choose that you apply early, as they have limited space.

as it is still summer holidays here, the school offices will likely be closed, so this part of your investigation may have to wait until you have returned home.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

butterflysue1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that residency status is only interested in your bank balance similar to Isle of Man or Channel Islands so if you prove that you can support yourselves adequatly the application with be considered. Just make sure you have relevant information with regards to your finances plenty of ping pongs of everyone (passport photos) and let the process take its course.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by butterflysue1
I know that residency status is only interested in your bank balance similar to Isle of Man or Channel Islands so if you prove that you can support yourselves adequatly the application with be considered. Just make sure you have relevant information with regards to your finances plenty of ping pongs of everyone (passport photos) and let the process take its course.
Hi Dave,

This is a similar situation to the one for my family - we moved here in a position that we wouldn't need to work and have a child starting school this year. It was relatively smooth sailing for us compared to a lot of others, I think because at butterflysue1 says they're very interested in bank balances! If you provide multiple pieces of evidence to support a comfortable financial situation, you should be fine. Use a lawyer!
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi again.

Thanks very much for your replies, all of which have been encouraging.

My wife and I have been very busy preparing for our imminent departure back to the UK. We wanted the kids to enjoy their last few days here in Barbados so we've been doing a lot of beach and Ocean Park stuff, hence my delay in replying.

Sara, I will send you a private message when I get back home - I'm really interested in any further info on the non national residency status and if you have any contacts or recommendations for a good lawyer.

Sunniebgi, thanks for the information regarding schooling in Barbados. I've been folllowing the thread 'Schools in Barbados' posted by emmewebb which, despite being 3 years old, seems to remain active. I need to look at this in more detail and my wife will begin contacting some of these schools on our return to England.

Butterflysue1 and Ikon, again, thanks for the info. Ikon, how long did it take to get your visa issued after submitting your application? Could you recommend a lawyer to help expedite this process on my behalf?

Thanks once again and best regards

Dave Wilkinson
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ikon
Hi Dave,

This is a similar situation to the one for my family - we moved here in a position that we wouldn't need to work and have a child starting school this year. It was relatively smooth sailing for us compared to a lot of others, I think because at butterflysue1 says they're very interested in bank balances! If you provide multiple pieces of evidence to support a comfortable financial situation, you should be fine. Use a lawyer!
Ikon, what sort of evidence? Obviously bank balances but what else? Thanks, Triana
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Triana
Ikon, what sort of evidence? Obviously bank balances but what else? Thanks, Triana
Hi Triana, For us we weren't sure how much detail to go into so we just sent our lawyer everything - share certificates, 5 years' bank statements, documents proving the businesses we own, photocopies of the deeds of the property we own - literally everything we could think of! We also sent letters from our doctor (a friend) demonstrating we'd been in good health in recent years etc.

We weren't sure if it was a good or bad idea (we worried by sending too much it would p*ss off the poor sap having to read it) but in our case it seemed to demonstrate what they were looking for.

Dave - re. lawyer, will send you a private message when I figure out how!
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

Ikon,thanks, that's really useful to know. Triana
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi again

My family and I are now back in the UK and trying to find the sunshine - a case of now you see it, now you don't. I've just about overcome the shock of returning to work, and the realization that you can buy three kilos of carrots in Sainsbury's for less than the cost of one (carrot) in Barbados. Fortunately, I'm not that keen on carrots.

Sara, I tried to send you a private message but the process was blocked with the error message 'The administrator has restricted use of the private message system to members with more than 3 posts'. Maybe after this post my next attempt will be successful. As I mentioned before, I'd be really grateful for any further information or recommendations for a lawyer.

Ikon, I'd also really appreciate a recommendation for a good lawyer. Do you mind telling me who you used and how long the process took?

Thanks very much.

Dave
Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:41 am
Just Joined

Wagxl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dave:
Did you, or anyone else reading this, ever get a lawyer? Can you recommend any lawyer in particular?
I am also looking to retire to Barbados, with a child. Knowing how it is working out for you would be very helpful. Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
wagxl
Old Feb 10th 2010, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

jenjames is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a Barbadian National by descent and next year (2011) I shall be moving to Barbados with my son so he can get a secondary education.

Is it possible to leave the UK without giving up my Citizenship and rights? I have a business in the UK and I shall continue to submit my tax return, but does that mean anything in the long run?

Essentially, I'd like to protect my right to return to the UK but I'm unclear of how much information to divulge when I leave.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 6:51 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenjames
I am a Barbadian National by descent and next year (2011) I shall be moving to Barbados with my son so he can get a secondary education.

Is it possible to leave the UK without giving up my Citizenship and rights? I have a business in the UK and I shall continue to submit my tax return, but does that mean anything in the long run?

Essentially, I'd like to protect my right to return to the UK but I'm unclear of how much information to divulge when I leave.

Can anyone advise?

Many thanks.
To my knowledge Jen you can have dual citizenship - thats presuming you will be applying for your Bajan citizenship by descent - if you are give plenty of time for that as Barbadian immigration right now is a lottery where time is concerned.

I have both a business in Barbados and UK and file paperwork in both countries. When initially I came to the Barbados I "dormanted" the UK company and then resurrected it a couple of years later. You will have to still submit your nil trading accounts and a UK Annual return as I have just had to do and noticed for the first time they that they ask for your country of residence as Director of the Company. What I did is to change my business address to an address that my mail could be opened by a trusted friend and if there are any issues to be addressed ie - discrepancies with annual return etc then someone can inform you. I have not had to notify anyone else of my coming and going from Barbados and UK - you will probably find yourself going back and forth anyway as Island fever sets in after a year lol. The one issue i have encountered is as I am resettling to UK after 4 years here in Barbados my ability to get credit ie mobile fone contract, mortgage etc is affected not by an adverse credit report but because i am not on the electoral role ie not paid poll tax (is it even still called that lol?)

If you need any more info you can hit me up on msn and we can chat - especially if you want to register a business here as its a minefield

Welcome to the forum and hopefully in a year you can be giving immigration advice to the newcomers lol
Old Feb 16th 2010, 6:14 pm
Just Joined

jenjames is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks Serendipidy, for your insightful response.

Yes, I do have dual nationality but when I leave the UK I wanted to be sure I could return unchallenged.

However, I shall look into the important issues you've raised. Thanks again.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

I have dual nationality and it's no problem. You don't have to give up your British citizenship or passport.

When we left the UK we were bombarded by Inland Revenue with lots of forms asking for various details - from various different departments that didn't seem to be corresponding with each other. I gave up filling in the forms and returning them because each form seemed to mean another department would contact me! However, I do an online self-assessment form every year as we have property in the UK.

If you go onto the Inland Revenue website there is a lot of information about leaving the UK, if you have a business there I suggest you read up on what else you may need to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.