Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

Immigration advice required

Immigration advice required

Old Feb 22nd 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Lindi2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Immigration advice required

Grassisgreener,

You might know the answer to my question.

I am waiting for Barbadian citizenship at the moment as I am married to a Bajan. Eventually we will end up living in Barbados and like you, we intend keep our house in the UK.

I know that when we leave, we will have to give up our doctor, dentist etc as we will not be entitled to the NHS. However I intend to be coming back at least 4 months a year on holiday and to see the rest of the family, and I will have property here.

How does this work as far as taxation & the NHS is concerned? Can I pay extra NI to cover my medical whilst back here?

I can probably find this all out by ringing the Tax Office but I'd like to first see if anyone else is in the same situation.

Many thanks,

L
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:51 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

umm do you have to actually inform anyone?? unless you need to change your doimicilary status for any reason?
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, sorry I'm not in the same situation as we rent out our house so have given up all healthcare rights in the UK at the moment. You may be in a different position because you will be living there 4 months of the year - you really do need to contact the tax office to see. I'm not sure if you intend working in B'dos while you're here - but you'll also need to check the tax position - there is a tax treaty in place to avoid double taxation on earnings, but you will be resident in the UK for tax purposes too if you intend spending that long there each year.

I do know some folk who keep an address in the UK to deal with the NHS issue, but as you will actually be living there for a good period of the year you may be covered, but yes you may need to keep up for NI contributions.

Definitely contact the tax office, I've found them to be pretty helpful with these sorts of queries.

Dips - it depends on your circumstances - I was voting from overseas for a while so it was obvious that I wasn't living there. "They have ways of making talk!"

Originally Posted by Lindi2
Grassisgreener,

You might know the answer to my question.

I am waiting for Barbadian citizenship at the moment as I am married to a Bajan. Eventually we will end up living in Barbados and like you, we intend keep our house in the UK.

I know that when we leave, we will have to give up our doctor, dentist etc as we will not be entitled to the NHS. However I intend to be coming back at least 4 months a year on holiday and to see the rest of the family, and I will have property here.

How does this work as far as taxation & the NHS is concerned? Can I pay extra NI to cover my medical whilst back here?

I can probably find this all out by ringing the Tax Office but I'd like to first see if anyone else is in the same situation.

Many thanks,

L
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 1:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Once you have been out of the UK for 6 months you are no longer classed as a resident and lose your NHS rights etc, not sure how long you have to be back there for to gain them again though.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd get an accountant to check out your tax situation.

4 months a year would put you over the maximum 91 days you're allowed to be in the country to qualify for tax exemption, so you'd probably have to pay something at home if any of your income is coming from there.

There have been court cases where Brits who claimed they were domiciled in the Caribbean (and spent less than 3 months a year in the UK) ended up paying DECADES of back-tax because they tried to maintain links back home such as business interests, children's schools or their doctor. I would definitely consult an accountant, because spending 4 months a year at home and having NHS treatment will probably alter how you're taxed.

Last edited by Ikon; Feb 22nd 2010 at 3:48 pm.
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

The only income we would have in this country would be from the house rental if we chose to go down that route.

I suppose the only way forward would be to carry on paying NI to cover us for the NHS. I think I read somewhere that this would be possible.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

L
Old Feb 22nd 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Bear in mind also that if you tell your house rental agent that you are domiciled abroad you will have to pay 40% tax on the income from the rental.
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Wow, wasn't aware of that. Need to do my homework, thanks for that Sue.

L
Old Feb 23rd 2010, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't have to pay the tax upfront but you have to get the exemption from the Inland revenue for it (you and your partner if the house is in joint names).

The double taxation treaty deals with issues of paying tax in both countries - but where the tax bands are different you may have some additional tax to pay if living and working in both countries.

Speak to UK Inland revenue about all the issues - do it on a no names basis to get confidential advice and then take it from there.

Originally Posted by shines
Bear in mind also that if you tell your house rental agent that you are domiciled abroad you will have to pay 40% tax on the income from the rental.
Old Dec 2nd 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

747 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hy Dave , i am so happy i found this thread!!!! please tell me in which position you are in now and did you manage to move to the island ? we are exactly experiencing the same thing and just today i took the decision to go ahead with a layer, did ikon ever gave you a layer name ? Would you suggest to move to the island first and do the papers then or just apply for non national residency and wait ??? but it can take forever right ??? Just like you we have a daughtar and we can not continue to take her out from school. Pleaseplease give me any advice you have and i will be waiting to hear from you . thanks

Three years ago my wife and I purchased a house in St. Philip. Since that date, together with our two children, we have spent our annual summer vacations here. In September 2011, when I am planning to retire from work, we were very much hoping to come and stay here permanently.

I own my home in Barbados outright, together with another property in the UK (my wife and I are English), and am fortunate enough to have acquired sufficient funds to no longer have to continue working. Given that my children will be aged eight and nine (in 2011) I will obviously need to continue their education, which I am happy to do privately.

My wife's initial contact with the immigration department in Barbados was very negative, to the extent that the lady at the desk refused to even give her the required forms. After returning home and speaking by telephone to someone more senior, my wife was later able to return and pick up these documents. However, my experiences to date, after having spoken to many people on the island, and having read several threads on the subject on this website, suggests that the entire process of immigration into Barbados is fraught with problems.

Unlike some of the foreigners I have met here, who effectively stay on tourist visas, extending as necessary and/or leaving the country and then returning, I am unable to do this because of my children’s requirement for uninterrupted education. Effectively, this means that my wife and I either have to get residency here before September 2011 or we can't come at all.

With this in mind, I would be very grateful for any advice on the best approach to securing this. I would be particularly appreciative if someone could recommend a good immigration lawyer and for any information on the best private primary school education.

I am currently on the Island but leave for England on Friday 21st August.

Thanks very much.

Dave Wilkinson.[/QUOTE]