British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Immigration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/immigration-698713/)

Lyndi1 Dec 31st 2010 8:00 pm

Immigration

Hi guys.

I've just got back to the UK today after a great Christmas in Bim. I thought you'd like to know that I had a POSITIVE experience in immigration!!

I went in the day after I arrived to check on my application which I submitted nearly 3 years ago ( Bajan husband of many years). The guy on the counter said that the rules had now changed and I would have to wait 6 years. I asked to speak to someone as the 'goal post' kept moving - 1 year when I submitted my application in London, then shortly afterwards it changed to a 3 year wait.

A really nice young immigration officer came to speak to me, I explained my circumstance and that I couldn't understand why the delay yet again. She went to check my file, came back and told me she would speak to her supervisor and asked me to return after Christmas. I went back a few days ago and was sent to see a more senior officer, who after checking my file again and asking me a few questions, gave me a letter and said once I had paid my fee I would be granted citizenship.

I don't know whether my file had been temporarily mislaid and that prompted her to deal with it quickly, but I have to say that I was treated with courtesy from beginning to end.

Britney Dec 31st 2010 8:48 pm

Re: Immigration

Our immigration service are always good,anyone who complains are just a few that feels they own Barbados.

Serendipidy Dec 31st 2010 9:24 pm

Lyndi is that Barbados immigration you are referring to?? maybe they are cleanign up their act is nice to hear some positive news I really feel that the new generation that are taking over roles in Barbados are very much more customer aware as they have studied and travelled overseas for degrees and things. When doing research for the NISE programme many employers felt that they would have to wait for a generation change to see the tide turn in favour of customer service as no amount of education on the subject was changing anything

Britney are you referring to Barbados immigration when you say they are "our immigration service are always good" and are you talking about the same appauling Barbados Immigration services that so many people on this site have suffered for years ???

Lyndi1 Jan 1st 2011 12:34 pm

Yes, in Bridgetown.

Sunniebgi Jan 1st 2011 2:49 pm

Lyndi1 Great to hear of your experience.. I, like Dipity, agree that it's nice to see some changes being made.. let's hope it's kept up.. and also.. I'm guessing the people "out front" are giving into they have been given.. and if you aren't willing to "nicely" push the issue, that is as far as you will get.

Britney.. again.. I agree with Dipity.. My Bajan Husband, born and raised, had issues with trying to get a Barbados passport renewal in June 2009.. back and forth.. one body says this, another says that, finally he got it, thank goodness, but wasn't without some serious frustration.. soo.. Yes in he does "own Barbados" and he has a right to good service, which can be a real issue.

grantley Jan 3rd 2011 5:10 pm

I submitted an application for Citizenship in April last year. After not hearing anything for almost a year I decided to ring the Immigration Department in Bridgetown. I asked how the application was proceeding as I was reluctant to apply for a job in Barbados until my Citizenship had been granted. They explained that they were still processing applications from 2006/7, and that I should proceed to apply for a job and that my Citizenship by Marriage should then be processed and granted after arriving in Barbados and visiting the Immigration Department. This sounds fine on one level, but I have to rent out my house, suspend my employment in the U.K. and arrange Schooling for my three children. It is quite a big upheaval with a certain amount of trust placed on the word of the Immigration Officer I spoke to. Does anyone know of a similar experience/ situation where Citizenship has been granted.

Tizzy01 Jan 4th 2011 3:41 pm

I would not rely on what they have told you.
I applied for citizensship via marriage in 2008, it is still being processed now,
However in 2009 they did grant me work and reside status, so maybe you can enquire about that.
I didn't apply for it, just had a letter one day out of the blue offering it to me for a fee of course!

sarahjane19901 Apr 23rd 2011 6:58 pm

hi, i have a barbados boyfriend i am uk citizen we have been together 4 years we want to marry, what do i need to do to make this happen.
Is is possible.
i have been living in barbados for 6 months of the year, for the past 3 years just to be closer to him, but immigration in barbados is making that hard for me now. i went for an extension it was denied this year and they then gave me a penalty saying i could not enter Barbados for a year, and i would have to write to the chief of immigration and ask permission to come back,
i did nothing wrong i have never overstayed my ticket and i have never worked.
i feel i was treated unfairly they even took my passport from me and said i could have it back at the airport., when i got to the airport i was not able to be with my boyfriend, i had to go in as soon as i got there. they would not even let me hold my passport, i was treated like a criminal. i cant go through that again it was so upsetting. has anyone got any advice for me. or any experiences similar to mine. thanks

Serendipidy Apr 23rd 2011 7:58 pm

sarahjane sorry about your upsetting experience its happening a lot - i have had a similar experience after running a business for 3 years - completely legally - i know exactly what you mean about feeling like a criminal!!

When did you have to leave the island? I am not sure what you are actually asking for help on - of course it is possible to be married - i have a friend who was kicked of the island twice and recently returned to marry - they are forcing people down this route which is really silly cos its just creating more demand for citizenship when people are not realy wanting it but it is there only way to be together with someone.

I know that they will not grant you a 6 month stay on entry again so dont book ya ticket for that long as ihave heard they are only giving 2 weeks to people who do that

sarahjane19901 Apr 23rd 2011 8:11 pm

hi thanks for your response. i feel upset over the way i was treated. the immagration officer who interwied me was rude, sher called me a foolish girl for having a man over there. i have been going there for 4 years and i have never had my extension denied. i was shocked. i could not understand why they gave me a penalty. i had done nothing wrong. i had to leave the island a few days later, the date of my ticket.
I want to get married, i dont want to go through that again. i dont want to live in barbados i would like for him to move to the uk with me after we marry. is this possible, will i have problems.

Serendipidy Apr 23rd 2011 8:49 pm

Yep i totally empathise with you the only thing i would say is that I believe everything happens for a reason!

Im not the best to help you on this one as only know friends who have married. They got married some in barbados and some in uk - if you are intending marrying here in UK you have to apply for a fiancee visa for him to come here and to marry i think. Either way once you are married you need to submit an application for him to come to England - with supporting evidence on how long you have been together including stuff like phone records and photographs etc. It is my understanding that once this is granted then he has the right to reside and work in UK for 2 years and providign he then has not broken the law and the marriage is still in tact he can apply for indefinite leave to remain.

The alternative is for you to marry him in Barbados and then everything gets sent off to washington for them to process the application - i think it costs $500bds.

Below is excerpts from websites on this info

If you are a UK citizen returning to settle in the UK, you can apply for your fiance to join you at the same time.

UK Fiance visa - eligibility
To qualify for a fiance visa you must satisfy the following criteria:

As the applicant for an unmarried partner visa you must be 16 years of age or over and your sponsoring fiance who has settled status in the UK must be 18 years of age or over.
You and your future spouse must have met each other.
You and your future spouse must intend to live together on a permanent basis once you are married.
You must show that any previous relationship that you or your partner were involved in (whether it be as a married or an unmarried couple) has ended.
You and your future spouse must have sufficient funds to support yourselves (and any dependants) without claiming public funds.
You must have suitable accommodation available for you, your future spouse and any dependants.

UK Fiance visa - duration
A UK fiance visa grants you with entry to the UK for six months, during which time you are required to marry your fiance in the UK.

Once you have married you may apply to stay in the UK on a UK spouse visa which will initially be granted for a period of two years. At the conclusion of this two year period you are eligible to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) as long as your marriage is subsisting.

sarahjane19901 Apr 23rd 2011 10:18 pm

thanks for your help, u have basically answered all my questions i needed to know, u have been a great help.

vikki85 Apr 25th 2011 8:09 pm

I married my bajan husband in Barbados and have applied for citizenship here. I also have a friend who married a bajan man and they now live in England, so let me know if you need any further advise on either situation.

I know how upsetting it can be to be apart from him for so long, I only saw my now husband 4times a year until I moved over here permently.

sarahjane19901 Apr 25th 2011 9:58 pm

hi, i know its sooo hard, but i guess wen u love sumone u wud do anything.
we would like to get married and i would like him to move to england with me, i would love some advice on the requirements and things i need to do and prepare for. is it possible for him to move here with me. i want to get married in barbados first and then probably have another wedding in uk for my family.
any advice would be a great help, as stuck on what to next.
thanks for your reply
sarah.

Guapa Jun 1st 2011 5:14 pm

Hi all.Just got my Citizenship by marriage approved today after 20 months.

Lyndi1 can I ask you how much they have asked for as they want bds$ 1500 from me within 28 days to complete the registration.It was originally $800.