Imigration

Old Feb 5th 2010, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Bajan_Koala is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Imigration

Well, made it to Barados,and have a 6 month tourist visa. my question is: can I leave the island for a couple of days within the 6 months and return on the save 6 month visa?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:26 am
Just Joined

greenflava is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Imigration

Hi there

'Fraid I can't answer your query, but sure one of the other posters will be able to.

Could you let me know how you got the 6 month tourist visa? I thought it depended on what they gave you at the airport, correct? Did you specifically ask the immigration agent for this when you arrived? My last few visits (including just a couple of weeks ago) they've automatically given me 30 days.

I ask because I'll be going over for a few months at the end of year with my baby, who's father lives in Barbados and if there's anyway - sweet talking or otherwise - I can get the 6 months at the airport rather than doing the monthly trek to the immigration office, I'd love to know in advance so I can at least give it a try

Thanks
G
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Cuchullain is an unknown quantity at this point

Greenflava, I think it is entirely up to the immigration officer you deal with at the airport.

The first time I came in as a visitor I was granted the visa to correspond with my return flight (that was about 88 days I think. Just under 3 months)

Next time, the officer just stamped for 30 days. As a result I had to spend a couple of days in the immigration department and pay an additional fee in order to extend my stay, up to the date of my return flight.

Next time, I wanted to avoid the hassle with the immigration office in Bridgetown, so I politely inquired of the immigration official at the airport if I could get a stamp for my full intended time here. She told me that was not possible and stamped for 30 days. However, when I subsequently discussed the situation with an officer in Bridgetown, he told me that I definitely should have been given a stamp for the duration of my stay.

And finally, when I came in on this particular visit, I was once again given a visa to correspond with my return flight.

So, the moral of the story is..... It is totally hit and miss. The officer will do what they please anyway. But, if you do only get a 30 day visa, it can easily be extended, it will just cost you a few dollars and a couple of days hanging around the Bridgetown immigration office.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 4:09 pm
Just Joined

greenflava is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks C.

That's what I'd planned to do - mention my planned period to stay (and have return ticket etc.) and see if they'd give it to me on the spot at airport. And if not, do the renewal as and when.

Good to know that sometimes it works
Old Feb 5th 2010, 5:31 pm
Banned

mistymiss is an unknown quantity at this point

That will be no problem.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

If you got 6 months at the airport, then as soon as you leave you will have to "start over." You might find one of the Immigration officers will let you in based on your original stamp, but as soon as you leave, it negates your allowed period of stay so it's wise not to count on it.

If, however, you got 6 months by going to the Immigration Office and getting a Visitor's Extension, then you can leave and come back without starting over.

In either case, you will always need a return ticket with you.

Good luck. HOpe it goes well.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by greenflava
Hi there

'Fraid I can't answer your query, but sure one of the other posters will be able to.

Could you let me know how you got the 6 month tourist visa? I thought it depended on what they gave you at the airport, correct? Did you specifically ask the immigration agent for this when you arrived? My last few visits (including just a couple of weeks ago) they've automatically given me 30 days.

I ask because I'll be going over for a few months at the end of year with my baby, who's father lives in Barbados and if there's anyway - sweet talking or otherwise - I can get the 6 months at the airport rather than doing the monthly trek to the immigration office, I'd love to know in advance so I can at least give it a try

Thanks
G
Hi
When I arrived at the airport I requested a 6 months stay to correspond with my return flight.
I plan to go to imigration in March and request for a 6 months extenistion.

Last edited by Bajan_Koala; Feb 5th 2010 at 11:19 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Question; How long does one have to leave the island before he can return for another 6 months?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

You just have to leave. Even a day trip to St. Vincent (or anywhere) is fine.

Liat is having a 2-for-one sale right now, actually
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:35 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foxy_fromCanada
You just have to leave. Even a day trip to St. Vincent (or anywhere) is fine.

Liat is having a 2-for-one sale right now, actually
How do you find out about that sale Foxy cos i went on line but cant see anything on their site?
Old Feb 7th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

A friend told me. But maybe it's over now? Sorry...
Old Feb 7th 2010, 3:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ikon is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that sale was just during January if I'm thinking of the same one as you, Foxy!
Old Feb 7th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh, perhaps I'm mistaken.

SOmeone told me they were having a sale, 2-for-1, until Feb 14.

Hopefully there will be another one soon. Those tickets are pricey!

Sorry everyone.
Fox
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Wagxl is an unknown quantity at this point

I see that Foxy said "You just have to leave. Even a day trip to St. Vincent (or anywhere) is fine."
Does that mean that if you can support yourself, you don't need a job, that you can come and get a visa for 6 months, then leave for a day and return and get a new visa for another 6 months?
For a retired person with an off-island income that would be a simple way to live in Barbados without having to immigrate. But would that really work? Anyone know if it is really possible?
Wag
Old Mar 8th 2010, 6:55 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I think that was back in the day ie under last government - I think the immigration now would be questioning why you returned so early etc and a lot of people are only getting 1-3 months at the airport so then its off to immigration for forms and interview for extensions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.