Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

If you knew then what you know now, what would you have brought to Barbados?

If you knew then what you know now, what would you have brought to Barbados?

Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:19 pm
Banned

Jack Bowman has a spectacular aura aboutJack Bowman has a spectacular aura aboutJack Bowman has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: If you knew then what you know now, what would you have brought to Barbados?

John,

Good advice. Thanks a mill for sharing it.

Originally Posted by Bajanboy
Jack:

If they are going to ship everything in for you, I would do a huge shopping at Costco or Sam's Club and ship everything in. I live here in Barbados and you can get get more or less evrything you want, but you will pay for it. Of course, you have to have storage space where you are going to live, but you will save a few thousand dollars and also have access to the products you normally use, some of which may not be available here.

John
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:06 am
Just Joined

jondent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you knew then what you know now, what would you have brought to Barbados?

As its a Diplomatic assignment and therefore no duty, no customs etc etc

I'd bring drugs

Sorry ... in bad taste, but it had to be done !
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jondent
As its a Diplomatic assignment and therefore no duty, no customs etc etc

I'd bring drugs

Sorry ... in bad taste, but it had to be done !
I would bring bedding!! My experience is that the choice is poorly and very expensive. Egyptian cotton is lovely in the hot weather but hard to find and very very expencive!!!! And if you could bring a king size bed, don't hesitate!!

Beside this there's always things you'll miss and can't get but you learn to live without it. We brought a senseo coffee machine with loads of pads and when we ran out we had a great modern feature in our kitchen

Bringing toothpaste or other toiletry's sounds very o.t.t to me. I've found the best toothpaste on the Island and now living in UK I'm still using it, ARM & HAMMER, extra whitening

Good luck with your move and new job!!!
Ps:
I'm Dutch by the way but tell your Danisch wife the Danisch cakes are lovely on the Island!!

Last edited by trutje; Oct 11th 2007 at 9:56 am.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone tell me about Computer products, Especially Apple Macintosh? Does anyone sell Macintosh in Barbados? Who?

In particular, what is the price on an iPod Touch? I live in Europe where it costs about $ 150. US more than in the States. Is it worth waiting and buying one in Barbados, or will it cost $ 250 US more that in the US?
If some one can be specific about the local price it would be very helpful (be sure to mention what currency and memory you are talking about.)
US price $ 399. US$ for 16GB model
Euro Price € 399. which equals $ 566. USD for 16 GB model
UK price £ 269. which equals $ 547. USD for 16 GB model

I assume the iPhone is of no use in Barbados as there is no carrier there.
Thanks,
Dale
Old Oct 15th 2007, 4:55 pm
Banned

Jack Bowman has a spectacular aura aboutJack Bowman has a spectacular aura aboutJack Bowman has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Olderman
Can anyone tell me about Computer products, Especially Apple Macintosh? Does anyone sell Macintosh in Barbados? Who?

Dale
Olderman,

I think you might have hijacked my posting. I don't mind that very much. Not at all, in fact. but I've been absorbing answers to my original message (some of them very helpful) and yours is a bit of a bump.

Would it be a lot of trouble for you to post your question separately, as the start of its own thread? If you could do it, that would be great.

Thanks a mill, amigo.
Youngerman
Old Oct 15th 2007, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Olderman is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack anything. I thought my question was along the same lines as yours, ie should one bring electronics, or buy it on arrival? Arriving and finding that an expensive piece of electronics costs hundreds of dollars more in Barbados than it would if bought before arriving could be quite a bit more important than loosing a few cents on expensive toothpaste.
I just used a specific example in hopes of getting some specific prices to compare. Often answers are very vague. And I didn't want to clutter up the forum with a different thread for each item that one might want to consider bringing. Threads disappear to the back pages pretty quickly if there are too many of them.
But I do not wish to upset anyone so I will leave your thread to your questions, and post my question again in another thread. No problem.
Old Oct 15th 2007, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Here, here...we are talkin' toothpaste and TP here people. JK!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:39 am
Banned

Originally Posted by zanne
Here, here...we are talkin' toothpaste and TP here people. JK!
I thank everyone who answered my original post. Your responses have been very helpful. I appreciate it. Thanks again.

What I don’t understand is why anyone should be so touchy and sensitive as to pretend that Barbados is heaven when, quite patently, it isn’t. It’s a nice place, irrefutably, better than some, not as good as others. But I really would prefer not to spend quite so much on vegetables. Does the cost of fresh vegetables in Barbados have anything to do with the region’s staggering per capita level of diabetes?

I asked an honest and legitimate question. It’s been interesting to watch the replies. And it’s been fascinating to watch replies (some of them off-list) from those who are desperate to believe that Barbados is Utopia, when it irrefutably isn’t.

Many thanks to all serious posters. I don’t think I’ll be posting here again.

JB

PS. Zanne: your comment would have had more force if it had been more literate. We’re talkin’ “hear, hear”, not here, here. Correct? And we’re talking about stuff that matters. To pretend that it doesn’t matter is to blind oneself.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 12:56 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

I should not reply to this as it may only encourage you to be even more rude.

I think your response was totally out of place here (not hear) and I think you are probably right not to post in future.

It may not be Utopia but to some people it provides a much better lifestyle to the ones they left, a quality you don't get just anywhere.

I hope what ever you decide you are happy in your life.

Best wishes

Sue
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by shines
I should not reply to this.
Sue
Thanks, Sue. I agree with you on that. Completely

I haven't yet got to the point where I'm so impoverished as to have anything so glamorous as a "lifestyle". On the corner where I hang out, people tend just to have "lives". They also tend to eat carrots that taste like carrots.

I think I’ll be happy in my life. And as soon as I’m grown-up enough to have anything as sophisticated as a “lifestyle”, I’ll smile. Thanks for your contribution. It was excellent.
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

It is a shame that someone who likes to come across as well educated as you do can actually be so ignorant and dismissive of other people.

Just goes to show that education does not breed manners.

(please feel free to attack my grammar at any stage you wish, I know it makes you feel superior)
Old Oct 16th 2007, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Sorry for the grammar/spelling mistake...I must say that for the record I was up at 6:30 on Saturday to purchase vegetables and again at 6:30 yesterday and today to go running with my husband in order to ward off diabetes. As I type this I am eating a big bowl of vegetables which were purchased at very affordable prices, accompanied by a lovely vinaigrette which is made with my favorite German mustard which is actually less expensive here in BB than it is in NYC. I must say that I am quite content at this moment!
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by zanne
Sorry for the grammar/spelling mistake...I must say that for the record I was up at 6:30 on Saturday to purchase vegetables and again at 6:30 yesterday and today to go running with my husband in order to ward off diabetes. As I type this I am eating a big bowl of vegetables which were purchased at very affordable prices, accompanied by a lovely vinaigrette which is made with my favorite German mustard which is actually less expensive here in BB than it is in NYC. I must say that I am quite content at this moment!
Zanne: keep running and munching that green stuff. A pleasure to correspond with you.

Sue: do I “like to come across as well educated”? Really? That’s how I “like” to “come across”? Really? You know this?

What a huge assumption for you to make, solely on the basis of how I write. Are you an idiot? Would it be proper of me to make the assumption that you are an idiot, solely on the basis of how you write?

Doubtless it would.

But I wish I had a “lifestyle”, like you. An idiot myself, I only have a "life". But I’ve noticed, in my many years on the planet, that only idiots take the word “lifestyle” seriously. The rest of are too busy living a "life" to have a “style”.

Best wishes to you.

JB
Old Oct 16th 2007, 2:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by shines
It is a shame that someone who likes to come across as well educated as you do can actually be so ignorant and dismissive of other people.

Just goes to show that education does not breed manners.

(please feel free to attack my grammar at any stage you wish, I know it makes you feel superior)
Zanne: keep running and munching that green stuff. A pleasure to correspond with you.

Sue: do I “like to come across as well educated”? Really? That’s how I “like” to “come across”? Really? You know this?

What a huge assumption for you to make, solely on the basis of how I write. Are you an idiot? Would it be proper of me to make the assumption that you are an idiot, solely on the basis of how you write?

Doubtless it would.

But I wish I had a “lifestyle”, like you. An idiot myself, I only have a "life". But I’ve noticed, in my many years on the planet, that only idiots take the word “lifestyle” seriously. The rest of are too busy living a "life" to have a “style”.

Best wishes to you.

JB
Old Oct 16th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.