Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

I have just moved to Barbados...

I have just moved to Barbados...

Old Apr 3rd 2008, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Penny J is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I have just moved to Barbados...

I am a sociable, single female in my 30's and have just moved from London to Barbados to live and work in the property industry. As I have moved on my own and know few people on the island I am looking for female / male friends and also advice on clubs / activities that I could get involved with to build up a social network.

Can anyone help...

Penny
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

yellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I have just moved to Barbados...

Hi Penny

I am down on the west coast - my husband is working but I cannot (legally anyway!) work here. I have been here just over 4 years but I find it can be a bit tough to meet other women (who are not working) as I don't have any children, and there is a fair bit of fluidity i.e. people you meet/friends you make come and go - though that is probably because the majority of people we have met have been expats here for a certain amount of time. However, I think you will probably meet a lot of people through your job - you could also join a gym or the British Women's club ( I have yet to join this last one myself but think I might have to take the plunge ) Not really into clubbing, but I guess the 2 main contenders are the Boat Yard or Harbour Lights on South Coast, also a few bars/restaurants in The Gap (South Coast). A couple of bars down here on the West - Elbow Room, and the Piano Bar. Anyway - if you fancy meeting up let me know! Sara
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yellowsunset
Hi Penny

I am down on the west coast - my husband is working but I cannot (legally anyway!) work here. I have been here just over 4 years but I find it can be a bit tough to meet other women (who are not working) as I don't have any children, and there is a fair bit of fluidity i.e. people you meet/friends you make come and go - though that is probably because the majority of people we have met have been expats here for a certain amount of time. However, I think you will probably meet a lot of people through your job - you could also join a gym or the British Women's club ( I have yet to join this last one myself but think I might have to take the plunge ) Not really into clubbing, but I guess the 2 main contenders are the Boat Yard or Harbour Lights on South Coast, also a few bars/restaurants in The Gap (South Coast). A couple of bars down here on the West - Elbow Room, and the Piano Bar. Anyway - if you fancy meeting up let me know! Sara
Hi Sara,

Someone had mentioned the British Women's Club to me although from what I understand most of the meetings etc are in the day, when I am working but it might be worth a go all the same. Anyway, it would be good to meet up...do you have an email address where we can continue to chat 'off thread' or alternatively you can send me an email via this site if you prefer?
Penny
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 11:07 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

HI Penny,

Welcome to Barbados. Re the British Women's Club. They are an older group, but do have some younger members. I'm not a member (not a brit, but am part of the American Women's Club), but I do know the president and a few of the members. if you are in the property industry, this might actually be a good lead for you, although some of the clubs don't like you "using" them to make sales etc.. but it still may help with contacts.

If you can get me your e-mail, or send me a private message, I'll check with one of my friends who is a member and get you two in contact with each other. I think they normally hold their meetins the first Tuesday in each month at the Main Guard building at The Garrison, on the south coast.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:50 am
Just Joined

justvisiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Penny, I've only been on the island a few months. I'm happy to show you around and give you some insights. I've only just registered so will drop you a private message once I am allowed.....
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

expat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really niceexpat_wannabe07 is just really nice

I am always back and forth between Barbados and the UK, and have a home in Christ Church. Will next be over at the end of April, so if you would like to meet up for a beer, then just give me a shout.
Sara (another one!)
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

yellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of lightyellowsunset is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Penny

My email is <e-mail addy snipped> perhaps we can all meet up for a beer!

Last edited by Rete; Apr 10th 2008 at 7:07 pm. Reason: Please do not post your private e-mail address online; use PM instead. PM kicks in at 3 posts
Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

OK Sara, will make a note to contact you then. Thanks.
Penny
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Hi Penny, Sara,

I will be moving to Barbados at the beginning of July. I'm also a 30-something female, and would also love to make new friends. I'll be living with my boyfriend, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good girls' night out (or girls' night in, for that matter!) once in a while. Let me know if you're interested and perhaps we can meet up later in the summer

Thanks,
Michelle
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

justvisiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Penny, it seems I can't send or receive pm's until I've made a number of posts. If you like, you can contact me on (SNIP)

Rob

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 5th 2008 at 9:45 pm. Reason: Not a good idea to put email addy on a public forum. Use the email link .. or maybe meke a few more posts to pm
Old Apr 5th 2008, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Michelle,

The more the merrier! Drop a line when you get here! sara
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by yellowsunset
Hi Michelle,

The more the merrier! Drop a line when you get here! sara
Michelle,

That sounds great...will look forward to hearing from you when you arrive and hope the preparations for the move go well.

Penny
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

aries76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone

I am wanting to move over to Barbados in September to be with my boyfriend who lives there and is Barbadian. Does anyone know anything about obtaining a student visa so that I can study over there and how long I would be able to stay on the island and also whether I am permitted to work if I am a student?

Thanks
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:19 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

depending on where you want to study, you might want to check with that institution first.

http://www.cavehill.uwi.edu/ This is the website for the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus. Check the admissions information or contact them to ask the requirements. (I'm assuming that you are wanting to study at University level).

With regards to the work, I don't think you can work on a Student Visa and getting a work permit is not an easy thing. http://www.foreign.gov.bb/pageselect.cfm?page=120 This page gives some info on this.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

aries76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your info on the college and university.

I had a feeling that I may not be able to work on a student visa which I find strange as I thought they would prefer you to be supporting yourself whilst on the island or do you have to come over with loads of money in the bank and show them proof of bank statements?

Do you know how long I could stay over there for when studying?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.