Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

I am crazy! (Seeking Confirmation)

I am crazy! (Seeking Confirmation)

Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default I am crazy! (Seeking Confirmation)

As some of you may remember, I am married to a Bajan, we have an apartment, car etc in Barbados. My husband has a good job there-- as of yet my citizenship has not gone through, it has been 1 year since we made the application. For that reason I have been going back and forth between the US and BB for the last year-- anyway, since my citizenship is within shooting distance my husband wants me to move down now and I am dragging my feet. I know that I will be able to find a job within a few months. Encouragement please!!!!
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of
Default Re: I am crazy! (Seeking Confirmation)

Originally Posted by zanne
As some of you may remember, I am married to a Bajan, we have an apartment, car etc in Barbados. My husband has a good job there-- as of yet my citizenship has not gone through, it has been 1 year since we made the application. For that reason I have been going back and forth between the US and BB for the last year-- anyway, since my citizenship is within shooting distance my husband wants me to move down now and I am dragging my feet. I know that I will be able to find a job within a few months. Encouragement please!!!!
Aaaaah, it's not nice to be seperated as a family, I know...

Do you find it a risk to move for good? And why?
I don't know the exact laws for being married to a Bajan but I know Barbados don't take their laws too serious.... And how long would it be before your citizenship comes through? If it's a matter of months I would do it now..
But that's me.....

Good luck Zanne, whatever you decide, I feel for you .girl
Old Jul 13th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

T-No we are moving permanantly, my son will go to school there, etc. I should have my Citzenship by February, my son already has his since this past February. Right now we live in NYC which is awful in comparison. I think the biggest (mental) obstacle is accepting that I can just do nothing for a few months, I am a workaholic!!! I am planning on using my frequent flier miles to buy our ticket for the end of September.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

trutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud oftrutje has much to be proud of

T-No we are moving permanantly, my son will go to school there, etc. I should have my Citzenship by February, my son already has his since this past February. Right now we live in NYC which is awful in comparison. I think the biggest (mental) obstacle is accepting that I can just do nothing for a few months, I am a workaholic!!! I am planning on using my frequent flier miles to buy our ticket for the end of September.
You're a workaholic! Now I understand, I think....
I could only say to that; Enjoy doing "nothing" for a bit
You'll be living on the most beauitiful part of the world and by the time you're sick of liming you might have a job
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

barbadosunderground is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by trutje
I don't know the exact laws for being married to a Bajan but I know Barbados don't take their laws too serious....
I am baffle that you would make such a statement about Barbados!
We are a very developed country not some banana republic as you would seem to want ppl to believe.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dude chill...
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Dude chill...
no you chill. I defend my place and u tell me to chill? If you don't live here seek out the facts!

Last edited by barbadosunderground; Jul 13th 2007 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

This probably isn't the site for you "BarbadosUnderground"...
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

This probably isn't the site for you "BarbadosUnderground"...
gee thanks for the welcome
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well if you come on on the defensive what do you expect? In my opinion some Bajans do put on a front that there are all these rules and then turn around and break them-- this ranges in my experience from the mundane (ie. policies regarding my Magna Card) to more signifigant things such as religion.
Old Jul 13th 2007, 7:52 pm
Just Joined

Well if you come on on the defensive what do you expect? In my opinion some Bajans do put on a front that there are all these rules and then turn around and break them-- this ranges in my experience from the mundane (ie. policies regarding my Magna Card) to more signifigant things such as religion.
Oh dear soory to hear about your misadventure with your MAGNA..care to explain? The religion thing you need to put more info on the table.

So do you think your bad encounters in Barbados are unique to Barbados?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unless you have something positive to contribute why bother getting involved in these discussions?
Old Jul 13th 2007, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Unless you have something positive to contribute why bother getting involved in these discussions?
Ok I will go in peace. Have a gre8 day yuh hear?
Old Jul 14th 2007, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

To get back to your point, I would say you may well find it hard initially, especially as you are a self confessed workaholic.

I finished work 3 weeks before I arrived here and have now been here a further 3 weeks and it has been strange to be out of the workplace for so long. BUT I am enjoying not having the "Sunday night" feeling and also not really having to know the date or even day of the week... I do still find it a little hard but it seems to be getting easier daily, I guess I have a 2 yr old to keep me busy during the days but as those with children know, that can sometimes be even more mundane than doing nothing

I would say on the whole, go for it. It was really hard to make my move in the last few weeks and I was all over the place emotionally but once I arrived and am settling in those fears/doubts/worries are all fading away.

Life is too short, give it a go and see how it works out but allow yourself a couple of months to settle in at least b4 deciding it is not for you!

Take Care

S x

Last edited by shines; Jul 14th 2007 at 11:47 am.
Old Jul 14th 2007, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by barbadosunderground
I am baffle that you would make such a statement about Barbados!
We are a very developed country not some banana republic as you would seem to want ppl to believe.

Have you ever lived in Europe? If not then you don't have a clue what I'm talking about!

You should also have a good read through all these threads about Barbados then you might come to the conclusion that MOST of us would defend Barbados with our lifes if we needed to!

Last edited by trutje; Jul 14th 2007 at 3:23 pm.