Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

I am a born in the UK but...

I am a born in the UK but...

Old Apr 15th 2010, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

mark.alexander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am a born in the UK but...

...have citizenship by descent since 1985. Does this make getting a passport and ID card a shorter process?

Thanks.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

birthdaygirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I am a born in the UK but...

It takes 2weeks to get your ID irrespective of how long you have had citizenship just ensure u bring it with you, both my sister and I did it, her this year and me last year and its a standarized time. I am unsure how long it takes for a passport.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by birthdaygirl
It takes 2weeks to get your ID irrespective of how long you have had citizenship just ensure u bring it with you, both my sister and I did it, her this year and me last year and its a standarized time. I am unsure how long it takes for a passport.
Thank you for the reply.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

The ID card is needed to make the application for the passport, so do that first.
Pasport will take between 4 to 6 weeks after all the proper documents have been turned in, including the signed photographs and application form by a proffessional, it can be finished earlier in case of emergency.

My granddaughter needed her passport earlier this year to travel to Holland with her mum( my daughter) because of a family emergency, and we could pick it up in a week.
However I am not certain if there is a different procedure if you are not born in Barbados.
Old Apr 15th 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

bamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nicebamiskados is just really nice

I would add that there is by law no need for a barbados passport, as long if you have citizenship and your barbados ID, a foreign passport is fine.
I have been permanent resident since 1987 and always used my Dutch passport along with my ID, officially you need to get a stamp of residence or citizenship in your passport, I have never done that and just show my ID card when entering the island.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

Lindi2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Does that mean that my daughter who is now a Barbadian Citizen by descent, will need to apply for an ID card before she applies for a Barbadian passport? She is 11 years old and we live in the UK.

When I receive my citizenship, will I have to apply for an ID card also, even though we don't live in Barbados?
Old Apr 16th 2010, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

When applying for a Barbados passport, an ID card is one of the necessairy documents, so without that you CAN NOT make the application. In order to get the ID you need an adress in Barbados, this doesn´t mean you actually have to live there, I am presently not living in Barbados and use one of my daughters adress. However I would not volonteer the information of presently not living in Barbados, it should not make a difference but some civil servants seem to make up their own rules.

Again a Barbados passport is your own choice, once she has dual nationality like my girls she can just use her british passport.
I have several friends from England who have lived in Barbados for many years and never had a Barbadian passport.
Old Apr 16th 2010, 4:58 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

I currently hold a Barbados ID and another country passport. when I leave, I use my other country passport and when I return I also show them that, but also by ID card.. as well as a copy of my citizenship form.. I could apply for the passport.. but haven't..

my children have Barbados citizenship and ID Cards, but not Passports.. they also have passports from another country which states they were born in Barbados. they use this passport to travel on, and return.. and I have their ID cards just in case. (this would be different with regards to your daughter having the citzenship by decent, as she would want to carry the ID card with you when traveling for sure.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
I currently hold a Barbados ID and another country passport. when I leave, I use my other country passport and when I return I also show them that, but also by ID card.. as well as a copy of my citizenship form.. I could apply for the passport.. but haven't..

my children have Barbados citizenship and ID Cards, but not Passports.. they also have passports from another country which states they were born in Barbados. they use this passport to travel on, and return.. and I have their ID cards just in case. (this would be different with regards to your daughter having the citzenship by decent, as she would want to carry the ID card with you when traveling for sure.
I have a copy of the 1985 confirmation of my citizenship.
2 questions based on what has been said.

1. Is that document as equal an ID?
2. Is that document as equal a Barbadian passport?

Thanks.
This forum has and is going to be a great help!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

1. The copie of your citizenship is equal to ID, however I would not use it as such, because a lot of places where ID is required do not recognize it as such. And an ID card is easier to travel with.
That copie will get you an ID card which is easily replaced when lost or stolen, your citizenship papers will be a lot harder to replace.

2. Your citizenship document is NOT a travel document, when you carry a foreign passport, you can show it at the airport to show you are a citizen , but that is all, so no it does carry the same value.

Your citizen ship document AND your ID card are needed to obtain a Barbadian passport( if that is what you want, you don't need it to live in or travel in and out of Barbados).
Most people I know prefer to hold on to their foreign passports, as in most cases they are easier to travel with ( visa requirements etc.) and then I am talking like British, American, Canadian and EU.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bamiskados
1. The copie of your citizenship is equal to ID, however I would not use it as such, because a lot of places where ID is required do not recognize it as such. And an ID card is easier to travel with.
That copie will get you an ID card which is easily replaced when lost or stolen, your citizenship papers will be a lot harder to replace.

2. Your citizenship document is NOT a travel document, when you carry a foreign passport, you can show it at the airport to show you are a citizen , but that is all, so no it does carry the same value.

Your citizen ship document AND your ID card are needed to obtain a Barbadian passport( if that is what you want, you don't need it to live in or travel in and out of Barbados).
Most people I know prefer to hold on to their foreign passports, as in most cases they are easier to travel with ( visa requirements etc.) and then I am talking like British, American, Canadian and EU.
Thank you very much for clearing that up.

Can i apply for my Barbadian ID from the Barbadian Embassy in London?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

That I cannot help you with, I have have always done it in Bar bados, but it would give you a good reason to spend a holiday , wouldn't it.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bamiskados
That I cannot help you with, I have have always done it in Bar bados, but it would give you a good reason to spend a holiday , wouldn't it.
he he i was there in March for 3 weeks.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, next time then, don't think you will need in London.