British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   humanitarian and political asylum seeker (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/humanitarian-political-asylum-seeker-813645/)

raffa Oct 30th 2013 1:33 am

humanitarian and political asylum seeker

My question is about how the Government of Barbados deal with asylum seekers who arrive to it
Legally or illegally
is there a chance to give them humanitarian asylum right like Europe, America, Canada, or force them to leave?
Note that they are from country in a state of bloody war and a serious threat to their lives
What kind of assistance to be provided to them in terms of shelter, food, medical care, education and integration in the new society?
Is there an Office of the High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on the island?

Sunniebgi Oct 30th 2013 10:46 am

Re: humanitarian and political asylum seeker

that question is something you should have the government.. not this board..

living here for over 20 years, I've never heard of someone seeing asylum coming into Barbados. I would suspect they would have to enter the same as anyone else.. with the proper documentation, given the same length of time as a regular visitor, and having to prove they can be here without being a burden to the government (monetarily) .. just like everyone else. after that.. who knows..

again.. there are Barbados Government websites .. feel free to ask the question..

Sunniebgi Oct 30th 2013 1:44 pm

http://www.unhcr.org/pages/4d788dfc6.html#

the right side of this page gives statistics regarding Barbados.. not sure if this helps or not..

Serendipidy Oct 30th 2013 2:19 pm

Strange 1st post..why Barbados?

raffa Oct 30th 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks for the help and answers
we help dozens of Syrian families by resettled them in safe places respect human rights like Argentina , Brazil and Venezuela
we think we can send one or two family to barbados
We help transport for the delivery of refugees
- Provide a simple amount of money monthly for a year while the complete integration of the family in the new society
so we need more information about how barbados government deal with them
most important things if it force them to leave?
and What kind of assistance to be provided to them in terms of shelter, food, medical care, education and integration in the new society?

Serendipidy Oct 30th 2013 4:44 pm

Raffa this is a site for british expats living in Barbados...not the type of forum that would be able to assist your questions its not a government run poiltical assistance site

Sunniebgi Nov 1st 2013 3:10 am

As I said in my original post.. honestly.. you need to be having this conversation with someone in the government. The Barbados Government takes care of their own.. first.. and sometimes they can't even do that. there are many things happening here and while it's only a handful of people, any more burden could take things over the edge. I'm not trying to make it sound like the ship is sinking.. but the current government is making changes to things that will effect the citizens on a daily basis monetarily.. and if the government is asked to assist non-barbadians with shelter, food etc.. well .. it's likely not going to happen.. that is my personal opinion.. Contact someone with in the government and see what happens...

pgtips Nov 5th 2013 12:31 pm

raffa, Barbados is just a small Caribbean island and it will be very unlikely the small islands will be able to accommodate your request. Good luck