Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

How would you rate these places and why?

How would you rate these places and why?

Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking How would you rate these places and why?

Hi There,

I need to know how you would rate the following places and why. Keep in mind that I will be working out of Warrens. Need to know your thoughts on things like distance to warrens, closeness to necessities like grocery shops hospital, entertainment., safety, setting etc. etc. Just give me your thoughts in general. Why you would or would not recommend this place. I sincerely thank you in advance for your help.

1 - Rock Dundo, St. James -

2 - Appleby, St. James -

3 - Enterprise, Christ Church -

4 - Atlantic Shores, Christ Church

5 - Heywoods, St. Peter -

BeachZombie
Old Nov 20th 2008, 7:42 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How would you rate these places and why?

Originally Posted by BeachZombie

1 - Rock Dundo, St. James - 2 - Appleby, St. James - OK Places, close enough to Warren's yet far enough away.
3 - Enterprise, Christ Church - far from Warrens, but nice area, closer to major grocery stores
4 - Atlantic Shores, Christ Church - too far from Warrens
5 - Heywoods, St. Peter - too far from Warrens, unless you use the highway. close to Speightstown, which I admittedly don't know much about at all.
BeachZombie
Read my remarks above

You have the shopping taken care of at Warrens, so that might be a good thing, depending on how you look at it.

if you are wanting to be close to a beach, you have obviously picked area's for this, so you basically have to choose.... long drive to work, but close to the beach, or close to work, further to the beach.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

The traffic from Christ Church to Warrens is a nasty. If you want less traffic then go for North of Warrens - so St James, not sure what the traffic is like from St Peter. The traffic will grind you down.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

Hey Zombie,

Can't remember if you've been to Barbados yet or not. If not, try to make a trip here to get a first-hand view of each of the places on your list. It will really help you make a decision that's best for you.

If you can't make a trip here before you plan on arriving for good, I'd advise you to grab a 1-month rental when you arrive, before deciding on a place, and take the time to decide where you really want to live.

We are really happy where we are, but our "vacation" last Feb was chaotic and not relaxing at all because we were looking at so many different places. It would have been a lot easier to come here and get a short-term rental and look for a place during that time.

HTH,
Foxy
Old Nov 20th 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

BeachZombie is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info Sunniebgi! Your comments are interesting though. What do you mean by "ok" places? Also wondering what you mean by "far enough" away from Warrens"??

Foxy,

Im visiting Barbados on December 13th for a week where I plan to visit all the places. However, I'm still not sure that will give me an accurate look overall so I'm trying to find people that experience this on a daily. Im thinking that renting temp place might be the best idea.

Hamilton to Toronto might not seem too far, but I can tell you that on some days it takes me over 2 hours to get in. I drive to Burlington and take the train from there to Union Station. During low traffic I can drive direct to the Tdot in 45 minutes
Old Nov 20th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

I can definitively say that if you leave central Ch.Ch. before 7am you can be in Warrens barring any unforeseen acts of God by 7:15, after 7:00 plan to devote 45 mins. to an hour. On the way home, I leave at 4:30, I can be home by 5:00 if all goes according to plan.

Driving here is a bit like a video game...that you don't want to lose!!!
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:37 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Zanne. I am currently rolling on the floor in stitches.. that is classic and so dead on you can not even imagine.

- Rock Dundo, St. James - 2 - Appleby, St. James - OK Places, close enough to Warren's yet far enough away.
3 - Enterprise, Christ Church - far from Warrens, but nice area, closer to major grocery stores
4 - Atlantic Shores, Christ Church - too far from Warrens
5 - Heywoods, St. Peter - too far from Warrens, unless you use the highway. close to Speightstown, which I admittedly don't know much about at all.

Ok.. Beach Zombie.. here goes.. I've never lived in any of the areas you mention.. I don't even go to any of them on a regular basis, sooo.. at the moment I can't give a definative answer on whether the areas you are look at are Great Places to live, or pretty darn awful.. What I can tell you is this.
1. Heywoods.. for many Barbadians who live work in Ch Ch, or St. Michael, Heywoods is like NYC is from Florida.. far far away.. But having said that.. you almost have a straight shot down a nice highway to get between the two.. soo this is actually not a bad place to consider..

2.. I like Enterprise and Atlantic Shores, but again, it depends on if you want to spend time driving to work, or sitting on a beach or on your front porch. Also, with in these areas are good and not soo good areas.. meaning nice homes vs chattle houses (small wooden shacks)

3. I don't know anything about Rock Dondo or Appleby (although knew someone who lived in that area, but years ago.. it's the closest by distance to Warrens and on the west coast.. sooo..

There are good sections and bad sections in all most every neighborhood here. just up the road from Warrens is Welches.. many nice homes, one gated community, but also so areas that might not be to your liking. Also, Clerview is another area close to warrens.. Crystal Heights and Meadow Vale along the same road..

Good luck.
Old Nov 21st 2008, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BeachZombie
Hamilton to Toronto might not seem too far, but I can tell you that on some days it takes me over 2 hours to get in. I drive to Burlington and take the train from there to Union Station. During low traffic I can drive direct to the Tdot in 45 minutes
Hamilton to Toronto is only a long drive in rush hour I do not miss my daily commute in Toronto - and I was never leaving the city! You'll find the traffic here almost as bad, but the difference is that there are fewer alternate routes that will get you around it effectively. So, like the lovely 401 on a Friday afternoon, you just sit there. Your commute will definitely be shorter than Hamilton-Toronto, though. It's all relative. As you spend more time here, you'll learn the back routes that can get you around the traffic as much as possible, too.

There is no grid system here, so exploring alternate routes is both fun and frustrating, and like Zanne says, kinda like playing a video game!

Good luck when you're here in December. If you need a real estate agent, I'd be happy to recommend two of the ones we met with last year. They were fantastic.

Foxy
Old Nov 27th 2008, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point

1 - Rock Dundo, St. James - On the Highway and will take about 15-20 mins to get to Warrens during busyish times ... 10 mins no traffic if that .... okay neighbourhood depending on where you are - not to far from beaches about 15/20 min walk - 3/4 mins in car - Weston is an ok beach - nearst shopping would be Holetown - Supercentre etc. Nite Life Holetown or theres a great Rum Shop in Weston full of locals and expats called Johnny Moores (I think thats the name)

2 - Appleby, St. James - Appleby is just up from Paynes Bay - it's about 5 mins from me now - so to Warrens even in traffic it'll be 15 mins - 6-7 in no traffic - close to several beaches Paynes Bay / Fitts Village - was a middle class community back in 70's / 80's - I actually grew up there. Nearest Supermarket is Jordans - which is an experience would be easier to drive to Holetown to shop. Nitelife just down the road in Holetown 2nd Street ... all very (excuse my language) white ... LOL ...

3 - Enterprise, Christ Church - - Atlantic Shores, Christ Church - These 2 places are adjacent to each other - both have great beaches near them - Miami Beach, Long Beach and Silver Sands just up the road, Atlantic Shores is fuill of expats and some outstandingly beautiful homes. My land is in Atlantioc Shores - and my dad lives in Enterprise - both nice areas apart from a few gaps/roads. Shopping is in Oistins plus lots of bars and stuff in and around Oistins - but the journey .... wheww - expect 45mins to an hour rush hour - 15 -25 less busy times

5 - Heywoods, St. Peter - Easy commute by highway - busy times 25 -35 mins - less busy 15 -20. Great beaches - Retereat Beach , 6 mens bay etc ... shopping in speightstown. Again lots of expats up there .... beaches do get very busy in high season as there are alot of hotels villas up there. Nightlife - is very localised which is good recommend Moontown in St Lucy - great local friendly bar

Hope that helps

Q

Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Can also recommend Moontown - St Lucy - my local ...

They also do great food!

I get what you mean about Holetown 2nd streeet, it is mainly completely white and ex pat orientated, depends what kind of mix you are here for. Personally I go to all types of places and mix with everyone, I find that is the way to live in a place.

Heywoods is a nice area, away from the madness of Holetown (IMO) but again it depends what you want. If you are after a busy nightlife then maybe nearer to Holetown is the place to be...

I like living in my little village in St Lucy, a friend who lives in the westcoast madness visited me recently and said it was like being on a different Island.

Probably does not help much, sorry.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Shines!

I hadn't heard from you in so long, I was beginning to assemble a search party! Good to see your moniker back here
Old Dec 6th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

hey you,

We moved house and not yet had internet installed, we moved 2 months ago! Someone nearby has an unsecure wifi so am sometimes able to steal a weak signal.

Hope everyone is live and kicking!

S x