Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

How much more hoops to jump through? 😩

How much more hoops to jump through? 😩

Old Dec 29th 2017, 2:58 am
Just Joined

sunsetdream will become famous soon enoughsunsetdream will become famous soon enough
Default How much more hoops to jump through? 😩

So I've been trying to sort out getting my citizenship ( through descent) for what feels like forever.

The first time I went to the embassy with what I thought was all the correct papers I was sent back as apparently my mums birth certificate was too old.

I then had to find someone to run around not only getting a new birth certificate but her baptism certificate too that took months.

I then returned with all the correct papers (again) only to be told I needed all my dads details and his birth certificate (although he's not Bajan)

Got that and returned (yet again) to the Bajan Embassy in London to be told now I need a new birth certificate because my dads middle name is spelled with an I on my birth certificate and with E on his.

How much more hoops do these people want me to jump through. It seriously is the most frustrating thing ever.

Has anyone else had this much problems getting citizenship in Bim?
Old Dec 30th 2017, 11:03 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much more hoops to jump through? 😩

Bajan Embassy? Bim?

Perhaps you'd have an easier time with the bureaucrats if you could correctly name the country whose citizenship you're claiming...

Good luck in your journey.
Old Dec 30th 2017, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"Bajan" is the adjective referring to Barbados.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bajan

In time of information deficit, Wikipedia is your friend !
Old Dec 30th 2017, 8:38 pm
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Well, some say Google is your friend...

Google's first result for "Bajan Embassy" leads you to the website of the "Barbadian Embassy in London".

Surely the people of Baja (Mexico) have first claim on the adjective "Bajan"?
Old Dec 31st 2017, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

how can a birth certificate become out of date ?
Old Dec 31st 2017, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When the bureaucrat looking at it wants a sweetener.
Old Dec 31st 2017, 11:46 am
Just Joined

sunsetdream will become famous soon enoughsunsetdream will become famous soon enough

"Perhaps you'd have an easier time with the bureaucrats if you could correctly name the country whose citizenship you're claiming..."

I'm pretty sure the people of Barbados (including the bureaucrats) know what a Bajan and Bim are. But thanks though....
Old Dec 31st 2017, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dfjordan
how can a birth certificate become out of date ?
Apparently if the birth certificate is from Barbados and was done before a really specific date (I can't remember if it's late 50s or early 60s) it's classed as old style and therefore out of date as they don't actually have the persons name on it just their parents details.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 9:11 am
On a grand tour

I'm pretty sure the people of Barbados (including the bureaucrats) know what a Bajan and Bim are. But thanks though....

They probably do, but use of the colloquial or casual term may well irritate them. Remember, bureaucrats tend to be sticklers for the rules and conventions. It may also raise issues of "respect" - especially when a foreigner (you) is asking them for something serious and valuable (citizenship).

All the best for 2018.
Old Jan 1st 2018, 12:44 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

I am not going to sensor this thread but seriously in the spirit of good will we are here to help not heap judgement on others for any thing we can define as "wrong"

This forum is not a debating forum to argue and debate one's outlook on others and their lives it is about help not hinderance. Keep it kind (subjective I know) keep it helpful or if neither - keep it to yourself is my approach to helping others
Old Jan 2nd 2018, 11:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tooboocoo

They probably do, but use of the colloquial or casual term may well irritate them. Remember, bureaucrats tend to be sticklers for the rules and conventions. It may also raise issues of "respect" - especially when a foreigner (you) is asking them for something serious and valuable (citizenship).

All the best for 2018.
I'm not sure where and when I'd actually be mentioning Bajans and Bim to people of authority/immigration officials (Although if I did I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be put in prison for it). I just shortened it on the forum as most people on here either live in Barbados or are frequent visitors to the island and would be familiar with such terms. It's not even slang, even my older aunties still refer to it as Bimshire.

Also with regards to respect my mother and half my family are Bajans, I'm in Barbados often and have plenty of Bajan friends and I can tell you there's nothing wrong/disrespectful with referring to Barbadians as Bajan. I can't tell you the last time I've actually heard a Bajan refer to themselves as a Barbadian (although technically that's the correct term)

Also I realised that all you've done is try to correct my terms/grammar and not actually helped or responded to my initial issue.

All I wanted to find out was if anyone had a hard time or it took them a while to get citizenship. Clearly you've not experienced this so why comment just to be condescending, there's no need.

You're like one of those annoying people who put their hand up all the time in class to correct the teacher loudly without listening properly to the question and getting it completely wrong. It's 2018 don't be that person.

Peace, love and blessings
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 2:00 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

SunsetDream... I'm sorry for your trouble.. but trust me.. it's not just you.

An old birth certificate maybe hand written , or not in the same style as what is currently being issues. I'm pretty sure at least 1 of my children Birth Certificates is hand written and the oldest was board in 1996.. so..

Also.. my sister in law (god rest her soul) was always called Lorna. however.. Her OLD original Barbados Passport read Lorna.. but her first name on her birth certificate was something entire different.. with Lorna as the middle name.,, it had to be redone, before her Barbados Passport could be redone etc etc..

As for the use of the word Bajan, which is the shortened version of the word Barbadian, which is what those people born in Barbados are generally referred to in a more casual setting.. You can bet the Gentleman currently in the top position at the Barbados High Commission in London, a Reverend actually, has no problem being referred to as a Bajan.. and I'm pretty sure he isn't looking for a "sweetner" just to give you the runaround on getting all the paperwork done properly. just being a stickler for making sure all the documents match..

Keep us posted Sunsetdream...
Old Jan 28th 2018, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

RomeluLukaku is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all in this tread.

For what its worth,yes i have had and witnessed several people having this much bureaucracy getting citizenship so don't be put off it is par for the course and it will take years.

IMHO you may be better off applying in Bridgetown(good excuse for a trip ) directly once you have ALL POSSIBLE documents up to date.An affidavit referencing your fathers name may help.Though just as official as the embassy in London,i felt the London Embassy to be unwilling to take on more work load than they can get away with.

It also greatly depends on who you get on the day.

Don't give up but you will need patience,deep pockets and a Bajan outlook on life.
Old Jan 28th 2018, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RomeluLukaku
Hi all in this tread.

For what its worth,yes i have had and witnessed several people having this much bureaucracy getting citizenship so don't be put off it is par for the course and it will take years.

IMHO you may be better off applying in Bridgetown(good excuse for a trip ) directly once you have ALL POSSIBLE documents up to date.An affidavit referencing your fathers name may help.Though just as official as the embassy in London,i felt the London Embassy to be unwilling to take on more work load than they can get away with.

It also greatly depends on who you get on the day.

Don't give up but you will need patience,deep pockets and a Bajan outlook on life.
Thanks. Luckily my dad recently went back home so I now have his birth certificate sorted.

My cousin actually went to Barbados and did hers there and it's taken over a year and still nothing but my auntie did hers in the UK and mysteriously hers only took 6-9 months to come through.

As bad as it sounds I wish I was trying to get citizenship for Jamaica as I know you can just slip some cash and get things done immediately. I actually thought that was a myth until I saw it for myself.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 2:30 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

SunsetDream.. myth or not.. this isn't they way to get citizenship anywhere.

How long have you actually been working on getting this??? are we talking a few months.. or years. just wondering. everything is taking longer now.. for everything. anywhere.. tighter controls etc.. even in Barbados. By Decent, as long it's all in order, is allowed.. and it's only the daughter or son of a Born in Barbados Citizen.. no further down lines.. so.. you shouldn't have a problem. it just will take time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.