Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

How much more hoops to jump through? 😩

How much more hoops to jump through? 😩

Old Jan 29th 2018, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

sunsetdream will become famous soon enoughsunsetdream will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How much more hoops to jump through? 😩

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
SunsetDream.. myth or not.. this isn't they way to get citizenship anywhere.

How long have you actually been working on getting this??? are we talking a few months.. or years. just wondering. everything is taking longer now.. for everything. anywhere.. tighter controls etc.. even in Barbados. By Decent, as long it's all in order, is allowed.. and it's only the daughter or son of a Born in Barbados Citizen.. no further down lines.. so.. you shouldn't have a problem. it just will take time.
I've actually been doing this whole process for around a year now, maybe more (as they held onto my mums birth certificate request for a long time before telling me there was a problem with it)

I know how Bajans are so I know the whole process would take longer than other countries where they're not so laid back.But what I wasn't prepared for was the rudeness, unhelpful people and the constant back and forth and been given incorrect information on more than one occasion.

I guess because my auntie had no problems getting hers and she's in the same position as me (English born to a Bajan mother) I thought it wouldn't be this hard.

Also with regards to the Jamaica comment, you just pay to get your application on top of the pile not to actually get citizenship, that's what I meant.

I think what's making me impatient is that my daughter's getting closer to secondary school age and I know she has to sit the 11+ and I'd rather her already be in primary school over there and take it there.
Old Jan 29th 2018, 6:29 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Soo.. quickly.. I'd have to say.. a year isn't a long time.. except.. that your year concerns information exchange not happening. You are doing this in the UK.. my I suggest that you try to make an appointment with Guy Hewitt directly.. he is the head guy at the Barbados High Commission in London.

The thing about Jamaica , I get completely. but someone commented at some point.. and I'm 99.9pct certain that doesn't happen here. .(or maybe it does and I don't know). The unfortunate part is other Caribbean island allow you to buy a passport.. regardless of nationality.. and it's not a good thing..
Old Jan 29th 2018, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

sunsetdream will become famous soon enoughsunsetdream will become famous soon enough

Soo.. quickly.. I'd have to say.. a year isn't a long time.. except.. that your year concerns information exchange not happening. You are doing this in the UK.. my I suggest that you try to make an appointment with Guy Hewitt directly.. he is the head guy at the Barbados High Commission in London.

The thing about Jamaica , I get completely. but someone commented at some point.. and I'm 99.9pct certain that doesn't happen here. .(or maybe it does and I don't know). The unfortunate part is other Caribbean island allow you to buy a passport.. regardless of nationality.. and it's not a good thing..
I know some places allow you to pay extra to fast track similar to when you pay the extra to get your passport fastracked over here. As I've done that for my kids passports twice now. But unsurprisingly Barbados don't offer this service.

Thanks, I will definitely try to make an appointment with Guy and see if he can help, as I have a feeling I will go back with all the correct papers and be given yet another hoop to jump through.

I'm not back out until the summer if I was out sooner I would've just sorted it all out over there.

On the plus side this gives me more time to sort other things and add to the savings.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

Janine1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you get this sorted the The high Commissioner office in London should be useful and helpful
Good luck

Originally Posted by sunsetdream
So I've been trying to sort out getting my citizenship ( through descent) for what feels like forever.

The first time I went to the embassy with what I thought was all the correct papers I was sent back as apparently my mums birth certificate was too old.

I then had to find someone to run around not only getting a new birth certificate but her baptism certificate too that took months.

I then returned with all the correct papers (again) only to be told I needed all my dads details and his birth certificate (although he's not Bajan)

Got that and returned (yet again) to the Bajan Embassy in London to be told now I need a new birth certificate because my dads middle name is spelled with an I on my birth certificate and with E on his.

How much more hoops do these people want me to jump through. It seriously is the most frustrating thing ever.

Has anyone else had this much problems getting citizenship in Bim?
Old Feb 9th 2018, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Janine1982
I hope you get this sorted the The high Commissioner office in London should be useful and helpful
Good luck
Thank you. I've now found a new problem. Both of my parents somehow misspelled their own middle names on my birth certificate. They've both somehow added an I so both are misspelled literally by 1 letter.

So now I have to send their newly acquired Caribbean birth certificates off to the registry office here who then check it and send it to some central registry office and if they believe that's my parents real names they will make an amendment on my birth certificate.

I have to pay £95 for the privilege and it will take around a month a to do (and that's if they don't request any further info)

I've now had to really push back my move, but as long as I'm out by September 2019 it will be fine. But all these set backs just make me more determined 😊
Old Feb 9th 2018, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Janine1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope everything works out I'm sure it will you will be fine and have faith x
Old Feb 12th 2018, 2:18 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

put that down to "someone else added the extra letter".. wasn't listening to how they spelled their names, or thought it should have been added.. remember.. they wouldn't have put it on your birth certificate .. someone else would have.. Anyway.. Take a deep break.. you have 1 1/2 years to get here and it can be done..
Old Feb 19th 2018, 12:50 am
Just Joined

put that down to "someone else added the extra letter".. wasn't listening to how they spelled their names, or thought it should have been added.. remember.. they wouldn't have put it on your birth certificate .. someone else would have.. Anyway.. Take a deep break.. you have 1 1/2 years to get here and it can be done..
I actually spoke to the central registry office who said basically what you just said they then advised me to email and hopefully as it could've been their mistake they may simply write a note on my birth certificate for free and it won't take as long. I'm just now waiting for them to respond to my email.

I've literally been over dosing on those shows of British families trying to either buy or set set up a new business or move their whole family abroad and some of their journeys took forever so I'm very hopeful.

I think it's this awful cold weather that's making me want to leave now now now. Even my mums now talking about moving back home (and she loves the UK) I was actually shocked to hear her say it
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Steve Bajan is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Morning Sunsetdream

Sorry to hear you're having difficulties getting through the hoops... (and for the nature of some of the unfair and unecessary critical posts you've received).

I signed up this forum morning... for the record I obtained Citizenship by descent this January. I applied for it in Bridgetown in December 2017. They said at the time it would take 3 - 6 months. With a couple of gentle reminders from my UK desk I received confirmation in January. I did supply my parents marriage certificate, dad's birth certificate, my birth certificate, my late mum's birth certificate and the $300.

Bajan's (Barbadians...) do consider you a citizen and in any case, when I spoke to the locals at the hotel I was at, they consider any one born of a Bajan citizen a citizen. The formalities will be completed and you will get your Citizenship by descent.

I have to go back and collect my documents and then head up to Warren (I think to get my Bajan passport... I can't wait!!

So good luck. Maybe see you on the Island.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Steve Bajan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there, I should mention I did have one similar problem. I incorrectly wrote my dad's birthday on the application. They didn't tell me about it until I emailed them and then I had to send an amended form by email. I didn't hear from them for another few months and when i sent a gentle enquiry about the status of the application, the reply I received appear to me to a little abrupt....

But, after a final enquiry in December, they wrote to me in the UK in January with confirmation.
Old Mar 24th 2018, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

BGIWorldtraveller is an unknown quantity at this point

The process is very much by the book and taken really seriously by the authorities in Barbados; They are simply holding you to the same standard as everyone who is applying. Hope you get it sorted out soon though. good luck.
Old May 10th 2018, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Bajanbandit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
I'm going to be applying for citizenship by descent. While collecting all the various documents needed i have noticed that my fathers name is spelt incorrectly on my birth certificate. He doesn't have his birth certificate and my mother doesn't have her marriage or divorce certificates either.
i think this is going to be a very lengthy saga ������
Old May 11th 2018, 8:53 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The poor bean counters and jobsworths in govt departments havent got much of a life really, they need their bit of fun ensuring that your long dead relatives are all named/dated correctly by their fellow jobsworths. Its also a bit of govt wealth creation to get you to buy multiple pieces of paper produced by other jobsworths stating the bleedin obvious...
Old May 11th 2018, 11:12 am

UK Grenada has pretty much said it all.. but I'll spell it out a little better.

YES... you will need to that correction made on your Birth Certificate. but you will first need a copy of your fathers birth certificate.. the process isn't too bad.. however. if you are in the UK doing this, you may want to contact the British High Commission and see if they can assist from there end... once you have this, you can then apply to have yours changed.. one would like to think that you having your BC would make it easier for the change to take place.. but one never knows...

if both of your parents are Barbadian, that's fine.. but you could just get it based on your father.. however. it might be worth while to track down that Marriage and divorce certificate (depending on where they were issues.. Do you actually need to marriage and divorce certificate for this??

Good luck and patience... just to advise.. Elections happen on the 24th May 2018. nothing might get done before then.. and who knows what will happen after then.. (except that.. if the BLP gets in, they may be more welcoming than the DLP has been.. just saying..)
Old May 13th 2018, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

"The British High Commission" In the UK ????????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.