How is everyone coping?

Old Apr 27th 2020, 10:11 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How is everyone coping?

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
We've been on 24 hour curfew but with designated shopping days since 6th April. Curfew is due to end tomorrow morning at 7 - not sure what the new guidelines are yet.

We have a six-month State Of Emergency now in place from last week - to avoid Parliament having to go back to update as needed.

Initially, the shopping day routine was a bit chaotic if only because shops didn't have enough time to restock, so shelves got empty really fast. There were also long queues such that it could take a couple of hours to get into the store. As a senior, I was able to get priority sometimes but not always - two hours in the sun and I would be done-for. This last week or so has been easier in my out-of-town area as most shoppers have been able to get into town to shop at the market and fisheries, while also getting hair done etc. and getting cash from the bank counters.

There was a shortage of cooking gas but that seems to have corrected itself. No other shortages (loo paper??) apart from Dutch onions and hand sanitizer for a while. Local rum distillers got into the alternative alcohol market, as UK Grenada had mentioned elsewhere. 99% alcohol Jack Iron rum from Carriacou should 'do' it.

There was some confusion as to whether one was permitted to BUY alcohol for takeaway during the first week or so and this was clarified as a restriction only on buying and then consuming on the premises, so we were then allowed to buy and take away a couple of weeks ago. Coped with limited alcohol for a couple of weeks. Was in Morocco for five+ weeks in January/February so I knew I could do it (wink).

Some bus drivers were arrested for not initially following social distancing rules (one pax per row) in the overall confusion but that seems to have been sorted out now - personally haven't used a bus (minibus) in six weeks. Coped without transport.

Indeed, I'm very happy with my well-used VPN connection to keep up with the multitude of programming that now seems to be on offer. They have got to compete with Netflix! Recaps on Trump Covid-19 White House briefings had been kind of entertaining, if tragic for the Nation and the World Leadership stakes.
Dutch Onions lol? am I asking a silly question as to what a "dutch" onion is and why it is in short supply?

6 months lockdown ??? wow that's a long term approach. What will be different for you guys at 7am today?

When the UK government put the lockdown details to parliament the opposition party insisted on a 3 weekly review which has proved to be a relief as it forces a focus on next steps. I have to say that I am impressed with the way the UK government is handling this - they have paid us all to stay at home and watch tv and allow us opportunities to ask a lot of questions, although it would be great to be taken on the journey of the potential exit strategy which they will not even discuss right now. Boris has just made a statement on his first day back at work just asking us to be patient as we are coming to the end of phase 1 of CV19.

People here are getting itchy feet as we do not know what the changes might be or when anything will change and car travel is going up so the sooner he gives some hope on next steps the more buy in they will continue to get.

What happens where you are if people flout the rules? 90% here are not doing that even though the fine is only £30. What are your numbers looking like for cases and deaths?

For me life is not hugely different as i'm kind of introvert so not a "going out person" and also work from home, although I have just been accepted as a local volunteer for making calls to isolated or lonely people and for shopping deliveries and medicine pickup. I am also doing a lot more walking/exercise being consciously aware when I feel too lazy that for other countries they don't have this luxury. It is probably the reason why our numbers are higher than rest of Europe but I suspect that numbers will shoot up for those countries when they take a hybrid approach like us and let people out.

Last edited by Serendipidy; Apr 27th 2020 at 10:34 am.
Old Apr 27th 2020, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Dutch Onions lol? am I asking a silly question as to what a "dutch" onion is and why it is in short supply?

6 months lockdown ??? wow that's a long term approach. When our government put the lockdown details to parliament the opposition party insisted on a 3 weekly review which has proved to be a relief as it forces a focus on next steps. I have to say that I am impressed with the way the UK government is handling this - they have paid us all to stay at home and watch tv and allow us opportunities to ask a lot of questions, although it would be great to be taken on the journey of the potential exit strategy which they will not even discuss right now. Boris has just made a statement on his first day back at work just asking us to be patient as we are coming to the end of phase 1 of CV19.

People here are getting itchy feet as we do not know when anything will change and car travel is going up so the sooner he gives some hope on next steps the more buy in they will continue to get.

What happens where you are if people flout the rules? 90% here are not doing that even though the fine is only £30.

For me life is not hugely different as i'm kind of introvert so not a "going out person" and also work from home, although I have just been accepted as a local volunteer for making calls to isolated or lonely people and for shopping deliveries and medicine pickup. I am also doing a lot more walking/exercise being consciously aware when I feel too lazy that for other countries they don't have this luxury. It is probably the reason why our numbers are higher than rest of Europe but I suspect that numbers will shoot up for those countries when they take a hybrid approach like us and let people out.
Actually I had to google what a 'standard' onion is, as opposed to red onion, which was not in short supply. I guess they, along with Holland peppers, come in the European containers and there was a stock-out. So one of my favourite expressions - "none on the Island" (from Bermuda days) came up. Same for that propane cooking gas.

Yep Irish potatoes, as opposed to Sweet Potatoes, is another generic.

I'm not sure it IS a six-month lock-down, only six-month State Of Emergency so that they have the legal 'equipment' to indeed impose a more drastic lock-down and curfew IF the need urgently arises without having to convene parliament in some fashion and draft the requisite legislation at the time.

Curfew here drops in 35 minutes and frankly I'm not sure, aside from what UK Grenada has advised regarding post offices and all, what today will look like - having again gone through Facebook to see what the Ministry of Health and RGPF are advising, which is basically nothing new.

I have to make that call to Immigration today so that will tell me whether the RGPF Immigration offices are functioning at anything close to normal.

I have always been a big walker, in spite of my gout problems and joint pain, and so I really miss being able to get out and walk up the nice steep (cardiac) hills around here. I have to say that when we lived in St Lucia, we were not positioned to do much walking but there was the garden to be worked on and the pool to be kept clean and all so there was a degree of exercise available and that was all good as power walking in this sort of climate can get overly-sweaty - mad dogs and Englishmen and all.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 27th 2020 at 10:37 am.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 1:17 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

HI Dips,

Thanks for checking up on all of us personally, we are doing fine. My husband is considered an essential working, as we own commercial fishing boats. thank fully that keep him busy, as well as his fisherman and their crew employed. he's been going to the Bridgetown fishing complex several times a week, when the boats are in and also making sure that shipments of Tuna are being sent to Miami. (they stalled for a bit, but have resumed.. thankfully)..

My pastry chef is keeping us fat and happy with breads and pastries etc. my 2nd daughter is in North Carolina, living and not working as her retail job stopped and the restaurant, where she was a hostess is only doing take out and delivery. Thankfully they are giving their staff at least 1 meal a day, if they want it. She's happy..

my son is in his Upper 6th Year of secondary.. finished the syllabus, but no schooling as the government has them closed.. except that apparently some are doing online teaching.. mostly private schools. He was due to sit his CAPE Unit 2 exams in May/June and that's been postponed till late Jun/July.. and even then we aren't sure about what's happen. he received his acceptance offer to the University of his choice in Canada to start in September. but.. we still don't know what's happening there. lots of Balls in the Air... as they say.

I'm fine.. been shopping 3 times in about 5 weeks. was a huge fiasco here when the PM shut the major supermarkets.. but. .Bajans brought it on themselves. Things are starting to work again.. less lines at the markets etc..

Unfortunately, we can't go to the beach or into the sea.. ugh. thankfully we have a good size yard and have a "walking track" to use (you walk around the yard enough, it packs down the soil..) and we live in the country with 5 other houses. connected by 1 gravel road off the main road.. My husband and daughter have been going out about 4pm and walking/running up the longest section.for about 1/2 hour.. . and then the 2 houses down neighbors and their children come out between about 5pm and 530 to let off some steam by letting the kids run around. it works... thankfully.

I'm keeping up with Facebook (too much COVID info but.. whatever) , doing some walking in the yard and Zumba online for exersize. .(doesn't beat the class I was taking in person but.. it works) and trying to jumpstart my slowed down online businesses.. one of those is cruise sales.. which isn't a great topic these days.. .. but I'm keeping my travel info page in FB open with travel photos.. we can live in hope..

Barbados did a great thing, in my opinion. .not others, by allowing stranded cruise ships to offload passengers and send them home. we have had up to maybe 20 different ships "hanging out" off the coast, awaiting their orders to move. limited crews are onboard..and the lines have been buying from local suppliers to keep the crews feed and watered..

That's it for the moment. Take care
Sunniebgi.

Hi Y'all ...citizens of the world and fellow brothers and sisters of this human race

How are you doing has never been such an important question and the answer really matter. So how are you doing? How are you coping? What is keeping you focused and forward thinking?

Dips xx
Old Apr 28th 2020, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Our 24 hour curfew continues this week with normal Mon, Wed, Fri shopping days but it's Mon, Wed, Sat, Sun this particular week as Friday is a holiday here. At long last we have been given our shopping days as exercise days from 5:00 am but no swimming here either.

After about six attempts, I finally got our BA flights back to the UK re-booked for late August, so I now have something to show Immigration here tomorrow vis a vis return tickets.

Have to say that I'm still confused as to how Caricom CSME and OECS free movement works in practice as that is what we are here based largely upon, because we plan to be here just more than a year. Will find out tomorrow when we see Immigration in person. They seemed relaxed when on the phone yesterday. Was surprised they were at their 'desks'?.

In the meantime, I am coping with some support from (new found) Jack Iron Westerhall Estate 69% overproof rum based punch. Westerhall Estates various (Rum No.7 and 7 Year old) have become solid favourites, in spite of my love for rums from Demerara Distillers in Guyana, which our local mini market typically has a bountiful supply of when they restock. The Westerhall distillery is down the road on our bus route, so will need to visit and give thanks when we ever get out.

Since this is a Barbados thread, I have to say that there is no exciting Mount Gay rum stockage here, that I am aware of yet - I'm not sure that Grenada has as much, if any, linkage with Goddards for distribution that we were used to in St Lucia. There is Brydons here but they don't function the same way. I stand to be corrected.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 28th 2020 at 11:07 am.
Old Apr 28th 2020, 1:50 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

our curfew is 6pm to 6am. . no one allowed out of our home/yard, without an essential services pass during that time. from 6am to 6pm, it's technically a lockdown, stay at home order.. they are calling it a curfew. but.. we have gone to a letter system for shopping.. we get 2 1/2 days.. .. this is for supermarket, fish market, minimarts, veg markets.. . and time to do banking. all the rest, you should be at home. technically not let out to run or do exercise etc.. no beaches open or in the water... no restaurants open,even for take out or delivery, and no liquor sales.. however.. we are making do with what we have.. some gin, whisky, rum (mount gay XO and black barrel) and others..

the government extended the Public Heath emergency order until the end of July. . that simply means the government can make changes to the situation (curfew, shopping etc) without taking it to parliament for a vote. I suspect we will find out on Friday or Saturday, what will happen from the 4th May. I suspect they will continue with a little more ease... We shall see..
Old Apr 28th 2020, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
our curfew is 6pm to 6am. . no one allowed out of our home/yard, without an essential services pass during that time. from 6am to 6pm, it's technically a lockdown, stay at home order.. they are calling it a curfew. but.. we have gone to a letter system for shopping.. we get 2 1/2 days.. .. this is for supermarket, fish market, minimarts, veg markets.. . and time to do banking. all the rest, you should be at home. technically not let out to run or do exercise etc.. no beaches open or in the water... no restaurants open,even for take out or delivery, and no liquor sales.. however.. we are making do with what we have.. some gin, whisky, rum (mount gay XO and black barrel) and others..

the government extended the Public Heath emergency order until the end of July. . that simply means the government can make changes to the situation (curfew, shopping etc) without taking it to parliament for a vote. I suspect we will find out on Friday or Saturday, what will happen from the 4th May. I suspect they will continue with a little more ease... We shall see..
Only significant variation from yours, here in Grenada, aside from the exercise thing and the liquor, is this I think, for permitted:

Drive-through or takeaway services by food vendors and restaurants from 8 am to 5 pm from Monday to Friday

Also, grocery stores can do delivery service as thus, in this holiday week:

Grocery stores through a delivery service from Monday to Thursday, and Saturday and Sunday

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 28th 2020 at 2:11 pm. Reason: and the liquor
Old Apr 29th 2020, 12:52 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi
HI Dips,

Thanks for checking up on all of us personally, we are doing fine. My husband is considered an essential working, as we own commercial fishing boats. thank fully that keep him busy, as well as his fisherman and their crew employed. he's been going to the Bridgetown fishing complex several times a week, when the boats are in and also making sure that shipments of Tuna are being sent to Miami. (they stalled for a bit, but have resumed.. thankfully)..

My pastry chef is keeping us fat and happy with breads and pastries etc. my 2nd daughter is in North Carolina, living and not working as her retail job stopped and the restaurant, where she was a hostess is only doing take out and delivery. Thankfully they are giving their staff at least 1 meal a day, if they want it. She's happy..

my son is in his Upper 6th Year of secondary.. finished the syllabus, but no schooling as the government has them closed.. except that apparently some are doing online teaching.. mostly private schools. He was due to sit his CAPE Unit 2 exams in May/June and that's been postponed till late Jun/July.. and even then we aren't sure about what's happen. he received his acceptance offer to the University of his choice in Canada to start in September. but.. we still don't know what's happening there. lots of Balls in the Air... as they say.

I'm fine.. been shopping 3 times in about 5 weeks. was a huge fiasco here when the PM shut the major supermarkets.. but. .Bajans brought it on themselves. Things are starting to work again.. less lines at the markets etc..

Unfortunately, we can't go to the beach or into the sea.. ugh. thankfully we have a good size yard and have a "walking track" to use (you walk around the yard enough, it packs down the soil..) and we live in the country with 5 other houses. connected by 1 gravel road off the main road.. My husband and daughter have been going out about 4pm and walking/running up the longest section.for about 1/2 hour.. . and then the 2 houses down neighbors and their children come out between about 5pm and 530 to let off some steam by letting the kids run around. it works... thankfully.

I'm keeping up with Facebook (too much COVID info but.. whatever) , doing some walking in the yard and Zumba online for exersize. .(doesn't beat the class I was taking in person but.. it works) and trying to jumpstart my slowed down online businesses.. one of those is cruise sales.. which isn't a great topic these days.. .. but I'm keeping my travel info page in FB open with travel photos.. we can live in hope..

Barbados did a great thing, in my opinion. .not others, by allowing stranded cruise ships to offload passengers and send them home. we have had up to maybe 20 different ships "hanging out" off the coast, awaiting their orders to move. limited crews are onboard..and the lines have been buying from local suppliers to keep the crews feed and watered..

That's it for the moment. Take care
Sunniebgi.
Nice to hear from you Sunnie I actually clicked on bEX to update asking if anyone had heard from you so was happy to see this update.

Well Boris just had a baby boy I don't think anyone realised how far gone his partner was so no wonder we haven't heard much from him. New beginnings for him with a new lease on life (literally) and new life to give him reason to fight for a great future so lets hope that this makes him the best leader he can possibly be. Right now we all have itchy feet and are desperate to have a plan projection of what might happen - hope - that the things we dream about will begin to happen.

For me that would be moving to my new house with a garden ready for the summer - I would then be happy to isolate for as long as needed. Having had the virus (I think) I don't live in dread of it like many I know although im not being complacent that it cant come back and taking all the necessary precautions.

Dips x
Old Apr 30th 2020, 10:47 am
BE Forum Addict

We got our Immigration extensions sorted out yesterday without too much administrative hassle. Staff there were rather pleasant and laid back, though looked confused when we said we were STAYING in Grenada (for about a year). Well I did tell the Immigration guy at arrivals at the airport that Grenada would be our HOME (we have nowhere else that isn't rented out to somebody else) and he was un-phased.

Only problem was that the Government Treasury at the actual Immigration office had been suspended so we had to walk 1 1/2 miles each way to get to the main Treasury at the Ministry of Finance to pay the fees.

Loads of folk there who are stuck on island and with no way of knowing if/when they can get 'home'.

Biggest problem is that buses are simply not functioning as a service due to the obligation to meet social distancing rules - one pax per row. So it seems most are only for charter and that can be expensive and subject to negotiation. There were NO buses at the main terminal and it is not clear how anybody waiting there would have actually got home.

Got to the ATM machine at the bank ok - security are there to ensure proper social distancing in the atm foyer. All good!

St George (the capital) was actually VERY BUSY yesterday. A lot of queues, for banks, for grocery shops, for takeout and for water, and activity in the harbour (Carenage) area with boats loading for Carriacou (island) shipments of supplies. A huge amount of traffic congestion in the downtown area.

Don't plan to head back into town anytime soon after that one. One other thing that I had wanted to do was get some fresh fish from the market - glad I didn't as the fisherman was by our driveway when I got home with fresh yellowfin at the right price (7 EC a pound for almost all usable). The fishermen fairly regularly coming into our road makes a big difference while we are in lock-down.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 3:31 pm

Wow loving hearing all the different variations on how coronavirus is impacting our lifestyles. Eagerly awaiting May 7th for our next review however it would make sense to me that they extended for a further 3 weeks but at least this time with an overview plan of what will happen for coming out of lockdown. Interestingly Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland have already given this to their people. England is the only country that hasn't but seeing as we are where the majority of the 26000 deaths are then I guess its a harder proposition to analyse.
Old May 1st 2020, 1:23 pm

Changes from Monday 4 May in Barbados.. additional work places can open, but Mia has asked that employers please try to allow employees who actually can work from home, to do so... less people to be around. obviously there will be some that can't. She is opening the construction, some manufacturing etc.. I will state publicly..I have never not wanted to listen to Aunti Mia (as we call her) speak.. but my attention span failed at one point and I couldn't do it. I'll try to post the "official gazette" information, when it comes out.. usually on Fridays.. but today is a public holiday.. (really?!!?).. so.. it might be Monday.. 1 thing added, which I'm not sure about. She says.. everyone working in an office, etc.. has to have their temps taken ands washed before going into the work place.. so like.. does that mean i now have to invest in a portable sink and put it by the door??and hope I have water to use it.. AND to purchase one of the hand help temp senor devices.. Lots and Lots of questions. I'm not a business owner, so it doesn't have an affect on me.. but others, it will.

the best news. .BEACHES!!!. ARE OPEN.. YEAH!!!. well ok. 6am to 9am.. social/physical distancing.. for swim and exercise only, no liming etc.. it has been surmised that this this is because our older population likes to go to the beach in the mornings, early, swim, exercise, socialize.. which they shouldn't be doing now, and go home. I'm afraid the most popular beaches will be busier than normal. . but i'll find out monday morning. It's been over 6 weeks. .and I need some salt water in my veins..

our curfew from 4 May, will move to night time 8pm to 5am (nuff time to get up and get to the beach for 6am..) it is understood that the shopping days will remain the same, with the letter of your last name being the day and time you can shop. and mostly, the government STILL wants you to "Stan home" unless absolutely necessary.

and we may have our first case of community spread. as of yesterday.. 30ish year old male, tested positive and has know idea how he got it.. they will have to check where he has been, what he has done etc. to get at least an idea. someone suggested he was a front line worker. and if so.. we should know that as well. .but.. may not..

have a good day.. Happy Labour Day to those who celebrate and stay safe.
Old May 14th 2020, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

As of this week beaches have been opened to the public here and we have gone to seven day a week grocery shopping. Indications are for the island borders to open up in the first week of June. In light of restrictions on travel in the market countries such as USA and UK it is unlikely that any travel will be from there for quite a while.

The ferry service between St Lucia, the French islands and Dominica is due to restart this week and there is potential to reach Paris from St Lucia on Air Antilles and then Air Caraibes/Air France. Hopefully LIAT (selling flights from first week in June) will allow for connections - as also Caribbean Airlines. Looks like the entente between France and the UK for quarantine-free travel is in a state of flux though.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; May 14th 2020 at 10:10 am.
Old May 14th 2020, 10:17 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hearing this is being considered - if you travel outside the region, the regional carriers will not take you on return until you have undergone 2 weeks quarantine at your expense wherever you landed from the us/europe... If this happens watch the ferries do the same. NB Beaches here are not opened fully, only in mornings till 11 for exercise as other islands have allowed.
Old May 14th 2020, 11:14 am

Ok I am sure you would have heard of the Lockdown Lifting Comms Debacle from Sunday's prime ministererial announcement. The viral memes and videos of Boris saying "Go to work but stay home, Go out but stay in, lime on the beach with lots of strangers but not aloud around more than 1 person who you do know" sum up the absolute sham of the messaging.

Since then to sum it up most restrictions for activities outdoors are lifted. Indoors is a different matter with no socialising in other peoples homes including gardens. Return to work is encouraged but under strict social distancing rules that are agreed by unions. Discouragement of utilising public transport and the relatively unheard of message "Drive to work if possible" is making for headline news as people cant go to work in London without utilising transport and social distancing is just not happening. Watch the next wave be back again in London!

Yesterday they allowed the housing market to restart which made a big difference to me as waiting to move house to one with a garden before they lock us back up again!. Garden centres opened but other than that only shops catering for food or DIYstores are allowed to open. The takeaway market was never forced to close however due to footfall issues many chains like KFC Subway and McDonalds did. Yesterday they reopened the Maccie D's on my road and a bus driver friend said it was causing tail backs.

Depending on the numbers in 3 weeks time they will then look at primary schools going back for a month before the summer holidays. They will also look at non essential shops reopening ie book stores, clothes stores, furniture stores.

You will not be able to get your hair or nails done until July (subject to numbers) and restaurants and theatres is anyone's guess!

Interestingly looking out my window the swathes of people I expected are not out and about - to be honest what is there to do unless its to go to work? BTW these rules only apply to England where ironically we have lifted lockdown with over 25,000 deaths. The remaining death toll in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland are between 200-1300 per country but they are staying in lockdown. We don't have border control between our 4 countries and so are only allowed on day trips - you cannot stay at a second home, this I guess is to prevent mass exodus to the rest of UK.

All this has had to be explained in detail again and again because the messaging was so off!! Whoever delivered the update campaign needs sacking - up until then the government had a high approval rate but the exit strategy has been chaotic. I can see the logic in many of the decisions but with most people on short attention spans they are just confused so will either go out and break any rules (not sure if there are any left that are legally punishable) or just stay at home because they are scared that another peak is in 3 weeks.

On a summary note someone outside the UK said to me that our government does not care about their people and care about the economy more - I disagree with this sentiment. The government are literally paying people to stay at home and are constantly looking at ways to help anyone who needs it. I am not a Boris or indeed a government fan, I see them as necessary to force human beings to do the things they know they should do anyhow, however, for me, apart from Sundays debacle I really feel they have done their best with the knowledge they have had. In hindsight of course there will be things they could have done faster or shouldn't have done at all but in terms of getting there in the end I would give them a round of applause.

UPDATE 04/06 Now we are "coming out of lockdown" I withdraw my round of applause as the communication and handling is haphazard

Last edited by Serendipidy; Jun 4th 2020 at 11:16 am. Reason: update
Old May 14th 2020, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I'm hearing this is being considered - if you travel outside the region, the regional carriers will not take you on return until you have undergone 2 weeks quarantine at your expense wherever you landed from the us/europe... If this happens watch the ferries do the same. NB Beaches here are not opened fully, only in mornings till 11 for exercise as other islands have allowed.
Message seems to be "don't even think about it in 2020". Same message is coming out of the UK right now. Quite where that leaves the airlines, cruise lines, hotels and in particular Caribbean tourism and the wider economy isn't quite clear. Many have already written off 2021 too.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 11:19 am

Ok I am sure you would have heard of the Lockdown Lifting Comms Debacle from Sunday's prime ministererial announcement. The viral memes and videos of Boris saying "Go to work but stay home, Go out but stay in, lime on the beach with lots of strangers but not aloud around more than 1 person who you do know" sum up the absolute sham of the messaging.

Since then to sum it up most restrictions for activities outdoors are lifted. Indoors is a different matter with no socialising in other peoples homes including gardens. Return to work is encouraged but under strict social distancing rules that are agreed by unions. Discouragement of utilising public transport and the relatively unheard of message "Drive to work if possible" is making for headline news as people cant go to work in London without utilising transport and social distancing is just not happening. Watch the next wave be back again in London!

Yesterday they allowed the housing market to restart which made a big difference to me as waiting to move house to one with a garden before they lock us back up again!. Garden centres opened but other than that only shops catering for food or DIYstores are allowed to open. The takeaway market was never forced to close however due to footfall issues many chains like KFC Subway and McDonalds did. Yesterday they reopened the Maccie D's on my road and a bus driver friend said it was causing tail backs.

Depending on the numbers in 3 weeks time they will then look at primary schools going back for a month before the summer holidays. They will also look at non essential shops reopening ie book stores, clothes stores, furniture stores.

You will not be able to get your hair or nails done until July (subject to numbers) and restaurants and theatres is anyone's guess!

Interestingly looking out my window the swathes of people I expected are not out and about - to be honest what is there to do unless its to go to work? BTW these rules only apply to England where ironically we have lifted lockdown with over 25,000 deaths. The remaining death toll in Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland are between 200-1300 per country but they are staying in lockdown. We don't have border control between our 4 countries and so are only allowed on day trips - you cannot stay at a second home, this I guess is to prevent mass exodus to the rest of UK.

All this has had to be explained in detail again and again because the messaging was so off!! Whoever delivered the update campaign needs sacking - up until then the government had a high approval rate but the exit strategy has been chaotic. I can see the logic in many of the decisions but with most people on short attention spans they are just confused so will either go out and break any rules (not sure if there are any left that are legally punishable) or just stay at home because they are scared that another peak is in 3 weeks.

On a summary note someone outside the UK said to me that our government does not care about their people and care about the economy more - I disagree with this sentiment. The government are literally paying people to stay at home and are constantly looking at ways to help anyone who needs it. I am not a Boris or indeed a government fan, I see them as necessary to force human beings to do the things they know they should do anyhow, however, for me, apart from Sundays debacle I really feel they have done their best with the knowledge they have had. In hindsight of course there will be things they could have done faster or shouldn't have done at all but in terms of getting there in the end I would give them a round of applause.

UPDATE 04/06 Now we are "coming out of lockdown" I withdraw my round of applause as the communication and handling is haphazard
Updates please on what is happening your sides with the virus.

I have just updated my previous comments re government as right now they need a slap rather than a clap - it's like having drunk teenagers at a party defining the rules - confusing, not a lot of common sense but lots of bravado. However at least we don't have Trump to deal with... God Bless America!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.