Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

How can my grandfather move to Barbados?

How can my grandfather move to Barbados?

Old Aug 18th 2011, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough
Default How can my grandfather move to Barbados?

Hi All,

Apologies if this is already covered somewhere and I've missed it in my search.
My Grandfather is in his 80s. He was born, and grew up in, Jamaica but has lived in the UK for the last 50 years. He is now keen to return to the Caribbean to live out the rest of his life. Ideally he would like to go and live with his sister in Barbados.

My questions are:
1) I note that you need to have a medical in order to be granted immigrant status - is it at all likely that a man in his late 80s with diabetes will pass one?

2) The immigration site says that "self-sufficient" retirees could be eligible. My grandfather will have his UK pensions and a lump sum from the sale of his property (probably around £100k). Does anyone have any views on whether this would meet that criteria?

3) Is there any way for his sister (who is a citizen) to sponsor him to come and live with her?

4) Can anyone point me at any good online resources? So far all I'm able to find is the ministry of foreign affairs website and that only has about 3 paragraphs on immigration!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Aug 18th 2011, 5:29 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can my grandfather move to Barbados?

Hi Fashionista

Is your father a British Citizen or Jamaican Citizen? If Jamaican he may come under the Caricom legislation not any British entry requirements
Old Sep 12th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

_Tropical_11th is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How can my grandfather move to Barbados?

Originally Posted by Serendipidy
Hi Fashionista

Is your father a British Citizen or Jamaican Citizen? If Jamaican he may come under the Caricom legislation not any British entry requirements
There's not much to CARICOM. It isn't that powerful. The only way someone from Jamaica can move to Barbados is if they qualify as a "skilled national."

~T.