Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Caribbean > Barbados
Reload this Page >

horrible experience at immigration

horrible experience at immigration

Old Apr 25th 2013, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

vsaul is an unknown quantity at this point
Default horrible experience at immigration

so my husband and i finally went for our interview after 6 years of marriage and living together. Once we got into the interview it seems as though the immigration officer was in a bad mood or didnt like us. She interviewed us separately and because i am more educated than my husband who is a barbadian, she flat out asked me why i wanted to stay with my husband knowing he is less educated than i was, if my husband got sick if it wouldnt be burden on me. I can go on and on about the awful questions. I felt so belittled and humiliated, she even mentioned that seen that my hubby was married before how would i know if he wouldnt do that to me, boy she was out for blood. I am so frustrated and saddened and thinking now i may not get through with my citizenship.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:24 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: horrible experience at immigration

Vsaul...you have rights and as far as im aware (someone correct me if im wrong) if your married to a citizen of a country and you have not broken any laws then citizenship is your right..its not an option to give or not to give by an employee of the service your paying for..

Many people on here have had rough and inappropriate treatment from Immigration in Barbados be it at the airport or down town..its just unncessary and has earnt Barbados a really bad rep for treatment of visitors from these officials....

There are so many great things about Barbados but unfortunately the attitude of the immigration department really lets a lot of peoples experiences down... yet it seems to get no better despite numerous complaints....and several extremely high profile "incidents" over the years.

Last edited by Serendipidy; Apr 25th 2013 at 4:29 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

vsaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi serendip, I am still thinking about that experience And still shaken and hurt. I never really had a good experience at immigration. The officers are so hostile and judgemental and every time I go they require me to carry additional documents, its so frustrating.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Saltybarbados is an unknown quantity at this point

I dread going into Immigration. I always feel like a criminal and the lowest of the low when I go in. I find the women worse than the men officers as well. Poor you. They appear to be awful to MOST people! BUT we are at their mercy.......