Homecoming?

Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Homecoming?

Hello all.
It has been some time since I came here to this site as my studies prior to moving to Barbados have been extensive and the work I do has taken the rest of my time. Time is running short and I have questions that seem to leave me with more everytime I ask one.

I am moving back in the first week in November when my contract with my present employer of the last 24 years comes to an end. I have arranged for temporary accommodation at a Guest house near the Gap but am looking for a more permanent place to live. So any help or a heads up would be great. I have Citizenship through my father by descent and I am looking for somewhere for between 3 - 6 months at first until I find a job. I say this as I may need to move near to where ever I find a job.

I had hoped the land near Huthersalls Turning (that is in the Family, Long story) would have a house on it to make my life a little easier. However, I find myself in the situation where I will need to find a place of my own.

I came to Barbados earlier in the year after sending CV's and letter of introduction to as many companies as possible. Out of all the CV's I sent including to Government agencies I was only able to convince two private businesses to give me an interview. The outcome was the same, "Move to Barbados first then come and see us again" I have the means to support myself on the savings I have made for the first 4 - 6 months but after that I will need to rethink if I have not been successful in gaining employment.

The qualifications that I have are varied to the extent that I can pretty much turn my hand to anything but all the jobs I have been reading about in the paper I have delivered to me in the UK are asking for Graduates.

Anyway. Thanks for reading this and please feel free to give any advice that you may feel of help. My email address is [email protected]

Many thanks and see you all in November

no2son

Last edited by no2son; Oct 9th 2011 at 8:30 pm. Reason: Bad Spelling. lol
Old Oct 10th 2011, 12:45 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homecoming?

my I suggest that if you are on Facebook, join a group called Buy, Sell, Services Barbados. from time to time people have rental properties which you might find will suit your needs. I would like to think that people would rather rent what they have for 6mths then leave them empty (which can and does happen).

Hothersal Turning would have been a great location as it's fairly central, I'm sorry that didn't work out.

It is an unfortunate aspect of Barbadian Culture that all and sundry require you to have some type of degree, but many don't understand that experience really is that best teacher. and especially if you have worked for the same employer for 24 years, you should be considered a stable employee and would be most desirable.

anyway.. press on.. try the facebook thing.. or check the classified on nationnews.com and www.barbadostoday.bb
Old Oct 10th 2011, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

no2son is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Homecoming?

Thanks Sunniebgi,

I get The Nation delivered to me in the UK and have been scouring through them to see what the rents are like and also have been onto Cariblist.com to see what else there is in the different parts of the island. I have looked up the site you have suggested and will have a closer look tonight. Thanks for the advise.

As for the job front, I will just keep looking. I'm not proud and just want to work what i do doesn't bother me. Just so long as I can live and have a little bit for savings I'm all good. Basically just looking to live the dream.

Anyway. I'll let you know how it goes.

REgards

no2son

Last edited by no2son; Oct 10th 2011 at 7:37 am. Reason: Spelling ...again