Home Schooling

Old Jan 30th 2009, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

danilas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Home Schooling

Hi everyone,

My family and i are hoping to move out to Barbados this year.
I've got two little ones, the oldest one is 2 and a half and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about home schooling in Barbados. I had planned to do it here, in the UK, and it's quite straightforward but am wondering if it's allowed in Barbados and whether anyone else is doing it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Salima
Old Jan 31st 2009, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all
Default Re: Home Schooling

I would suggest that you tryto contact the Ministry Of Education-- I haven't heard of this happening here, and from my perspective (which isn't always the right one) I could see it being a bit difficult to explain why you would want to do this. There is a perception here that the public education system is without fault...

Maybe if you align yourself with a private school and homeschool based on their guidance/curriculum, sort of a modified homeschooling, I know of people that have done this in the States. Also, Barbados can be tough socially when you are new, it would be good for you and your kids to get into a school environment to make friends and meet people. I can definitely say that my son, he's 3, loves school and learning, making new friends both local and expat, etc. My son's private school is affordable and we love it as much as he does.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 31st 2009, 3:36 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

it's not really allowed, even though some people will tell you differently.

you have to basically be qualified and be able to teach to the syllabus of the ministry of education. Primary education it likely is not allowed. in the Secondary system there are systems in place where you can have a one on one teacher,in a private setting and they call that home schooling.

I'm going to suggest talking to the ministry.. but you may also want to check with Learning for life.. Julia Hanshell, the owner, may be able to give you some guidence on this issue.

http://www.smartstudying.com/contact.html
Old Jan 31st 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by danilas
Hi everyone,

My family and i are hoping to move out to Barbados this year.
I've got two little ones, the oldest one is 2 and a half and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about home schooling in Barbados. I had planned to do it here, in the UK, and it's quite straightforward but am wondering if it's allowed in Barbados and whether anyone else is doing it?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Salima
Morning,

Your children will not come under the Ministry of Education until they are in the shool year that they turn 5, i.e. the year they are due to start Reception.

How long are you moving here for? If only for a few years then it will not matter, if longer then you can tackle the Ministry of Eduation about home schooling once you move here.

HTH

S
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 8:53 am
Just Joined

danilas is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

Sunniebgi: Thanks very much for the contact that was great! Julia informs me that homeschoolng is allowed and that the paperwork is straightforward.

Hopefully i will be in touch with you all again once we move!
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 11:27 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

Home Schooling is allowed, but you have to go through one of the already in place agencies that provides that. I checked out many things a couple of years ago and in the US Traditional way of homeschooling, which is Mom/Dad schooling kids based on certain courses, Mom/Dad don't do the home schooling here, unless she is qualified and everything must be done through the ministry of education. (which is should be, but it's just different).

Julia charges a lot of money to "homeschool" children in her business. But she seems to be doing something right and there are many children, especially at the secondary age, that just don't fit into the norms for Govt Secondary schools.. so this is a good option.

I just have to say that in my original post, I overlooked that fact that your children are young, but I will say this. Many many barbadian parents send their children to pre-schools, nurseries or Montessori school at the age of 2 1/2. Not everyone does that, but for social development, before going into primary school, and because it looks good on the application for Primary school, they do this.

Last edited by Sunniebgi; Feb 3rd 2009 at 11:30 am.