British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   help settling in (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/help-settling-859571/)

ellie29 Jun 4th 2015 10:49 pm

help settling in

Hello,

my name is Ellie and I have recently moved to Barbados from the UK with my boyfriend who has started a new job. Unfortunately I am unable to get a work permit and to be honest am finding it very hard to settle into life here without a job.

Any advise or ideas about clubs to join/ things to do to keep myself busy and to meet new people would be great. We are living on the west coast in St. James and I am open to any suggestions!

Thank you,
Ellie

Serendipidy Jun 5th 2015 10:01 am

Re: help settling in

Hi Ellie welcome to the forum...I recommend you give a little more information about yourself, your age and interests etc so that people can make relevant suggestions...we do tell people that they are unlikely to get work permits before they leave those who dream to do what you have done can get a realistic perspective from your message here.

Take a think about what you could do for yourself that now you have the time and the beautiful sunshine and the peace and tranquility how could you use it for you as well as meeting others...for example...do you want to get fit...join a gym or a dance class or water aerobics or something ....have you wanted to blog or write a novel or train in a new subject on line....is there a new skill you want to learn..scuba diving, surfing, painting etc...I just say all this to say that you will get out of your experience what you put into it...looking outside for the answers will probably not give you the peace you are seeking...I know friends are great especially for us as women but often on BIM the same girlfriends can bring a lot of drama as many of those I know who have relocated from UK will agree....think about coming and going maybe do some temp work in Uk for a month etc.....just wanted to bring a wider perspective to your isolation and ability to settle...in the meantime i hope you get some ideas for how to connect with others from the site ..Dips x

Sunniebgi Jun 5th 2015 9:29 pm

HI Ellie,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to say this off the bat, but I'm surprised that you have "moved" here with your boyfriend, just to say that I would be surprised if Immigration actually allowed that.. maybe you have 30 day visa, or 60 days?? but anything else wouldn't apply (would be surprised if it did).... The work permit would only be based on you being able to do something that no other person is qualified for, or you found someone/business to sponsor that for you . . and would assume that your boyfriend is here because he was offered a position and the company has done a work permit for him)..

(again, didn't want to sound mean, but.. Barbados Immigration laws are pretty tight when it comes to who can come and stay for lengths of time, etc..)

now.. having said that.. as dipity asked. a bit more information.. rough age, what you are interested in etc..

There is a british womens club on the island, but.. they are an older group, however..you never know what kind of connections you can make through that club. You can check with the British High Commission to see if they can put you in touch with someone from that club. I'll also see who's information I might have..

Summer is going to be slower on the island, but it's a good time to get to know the place. Learn the bus system, especially if you are on the west cost, you can travel to Speightstown and to Bridgetown without much problem (depending on where in St. James you are). Learn some of the history of the island. Hang out at the beach, join a gym, take some classes etc..

there are some "paint and Groove" evenings around the island .. You pay an amount, they have a painting picked out for you do to, some of these nights have refreshments included and someyou bring your own.. You don't have to be an artists to attend.. this might be a good way to meet some people.

anyway.. welcome again.. and keep us posted.

yellowsunset Jul 4th 2015 4:35 am

Hi Ellie... I am off island at the moment but return to Barbados beginning August. I am in the same situation as you ... though my husband's 6 month job turned into 12 years! If you would like to meet up for a drink/coffee let me know :).

PrincessBananaHamock Jul 17th 2015 4:35 pm

Hi Ellie,
I'm moving to Barbados in 3 weeks. I'm a wife and won't be working so if you want to hook up for a coffee let me know. I'm new to here so don't know how to message privately.

If you're finding it a bit lonely at the start don't worry it will get better and you'll find your feet before you know it.

I'd be up for trying some clubs or art things so you wouldn't be alone. This will be my second island and all my friends here tell me Barbados is a great place to live so I'm really looking forward to it.

To help you emotionally because it can be difficult, new place, new culture there's a great book called The EXpat partner's survival guide you can get it electronically.
Never feel second best being a GF you're just as important as the wives lol.
You'll have good days and bad days starting out but stick with it. It's normal. We accompany our other halves get dumped and they walk out of the door to their new job.
It can be incredibly boring as specially if you're young. I'm not old I'm a cool 44 year old he he he.
However you'll experience things and have amazing times that out way the negatives!
I look forward to meeting you xxxxx

acoleby Aug 26th 2015 1:38 pm

Hi Ellie and welcome to the island!

There is a British Women's Club of Barbados that meets up once a month and has various events such as lunch and coffee mornings (more social events to come too!). It's a great way of meeting other women in the same situation (ie - we can't work due to visa restrictions) and they are a fun bunch. They can be contacted via their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bwc.barbados. There is also an email address on there too.
Hope you get settled in!

Angela

islandgirl2 Sep 2nd 2015 2:39 pm

Hi, I had the same problem when I moved here a year ago. The joys of being a trailing spouse. If you want to meet for a coffee/cheeky glass of something message me privately.

islandgirl2 Sep 2nd 2015 2:41 pm

I find it strange that you have to contact the British High Commission to find out details of women's groups here too...it's not my first expat posting and I've never had to do that...any particular reason for this? Or would it be easier to join the Masons - ha ha!

Serendipidy Sep 2nd 2015 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by acoleby (Post 11733383)
Hi Ellie and welcome to the island!

There is a British Women's Club of Barbados that meets up once a month and has various events such as lunch and coffee mornings (more social events to come too!). It's a great way of meeting other women in the same situation (ie - we can't work due to visa restrictions) and they are a fun bunch. They can be contacted via their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/bwc.barbados. There is also an email address on there too.
Hope you get settled in!

Angela

This was marked as spam but I have unspammed it as I know a number of you are asking for this information and is not selling anything

islandgirl2 Sep 3rd 2015 9:24 pm

Strange it was marked as spam as it simply looks to be the information we've been looking for!

Kmari31 Aug 9th 2016 10:30 am

Hi all
I am also relocating for husbands job in Oct. I'm a sociable 27 year old and would be keen to meet with others for coffee/drinks/beach days etc. I'm really concerned about being lonely with not being able to work etc..

Kmari31 Aug 9th 2016 10:49 am

Originally Posted by islandgirl2 (Post 11738865)
Hi, I had the same problem when I moved here a year ago. The joys of being a trailing spouse. If you want to meet for a coffee/cheeky glass of something message me privately.

Hi island girl. Are you still out in barbados?

NYCPanda Aug 16th 2016 9:47 pm

Hi Kmari,

I recently moved to Barbados with my husband a few months ago from NYC. If you ever want to meet up for a coffee once you are on the island, please feel free to reach out. Would love to meet a new friend here.

Bonnie

Originally Posted by Kmari31 (Post 12022948)
Hi all
I am also relocating for husbands job in Oct. I'm a sociable 27 year old and would be keen to meet with others for coffee/drinks/beach days etc. I'm really concerned about being lonely with not being able to work etc..