British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Help with a legal question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/help-legal-question-880826/)

Rachel_M Jul 22nd 2016 11:47 pm

Help with a legal question

Hello,

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction, I have a legal question that I'd like answered before I get a lawyer onboard

Thank you

Sunniebgi Jul 23rd 2016 1:48 am

Re: Help with a legal question

I would say that if it's a legal question, depending on what it is, you may want to ask a lawyer first.

Sunniebgi Jul 23rd 2016 5:07 pm

by the way Rachel.. I know that answer was not helpful.. but.. and unless you want to give us some hint as to what it might be, to be able to steer you in a better direction, getting an answer to a legal question really needs to be done by a lawyer..

Rachel_M Jul 25th 2016 3:26 pm

I just wanted to know if it's better to file for divorce in Barbados or the country of citizenship ?

Thanks

scot47 Jul 25th 2016 4:58 pm

Country of residence must be better.

beachseeker Jul 25th 2016 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Rachel_M (Post 12011673)
I just wanted to know if it's better to file for divorce in Barbados or the country of citizenship ?

Thanks

Divorce laws vary from country to country and also from state to state. If your home, family assets, and perhaps children are involved, I would think that you might wish to have the issues that impact these be handled through application of the law / rules of your marriage residence. There are many local nuances that can apply to a given situation and retaining legal council at distance might not be the best choice.

Pulaski Jul 25th 2016 10:45 pm

As Scot hinted, you file for divorce where you live, you can't pick and choose which country you file in, .... though you can move to another country and file their, but you' d have to prove to the court that you live there. This leaves open the possibility that your spouse could attempt to have the divorce petition voided on the grounds that you don't live in the country where you filed the divorce petition.

Rachel_M Jul 26th 2016 1:06 am

Thanks for the replies.
No kids or property involved. Leaving the island to go back home (England) but was married to a Bajan national in Barbados.

Pulaski Jul 26th 2016 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Rachel_M (Post 12012012)
Thanks for the replies.
No kids or property involved. Leaving the island to go back home (England) but was married to a Bajan national in Barbados.

So you can file in Barbados before you leave, but you'd likely have to stay there until the court had processed the petition, or you could return to the UK and file in the UK. There may be some addition fees involved in informing your husband of the petition and court hearing.

Sunniebgi Jul 26th 2016 3:57 am

I would have to agree with Pulaski.. if you are living here now, then I'd say the divorce would be here.. (and likely married in Barbados??).. and I would highly recommend asking a lawyer about the "what happens next". if you have to stay in Barbados or can leave with no issue..

Rachel_M Aug 8th 2016 9:46 pm

Thanks for the replies