Hello from a newbie

Old Sep 9th 2011, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Eric Jay is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Hello from a newbie

Hi all,

I have been reading some of the threads on here today and although I feel a bit of a fraud as I am not an "expat" yet, I thought I would pose a question to you knowledgable and friendly bunch. I know that they may very well have been asked / answered before so apologies for asking again and if you feel it is easier it would be just as much help to me if you could just point me in the direction of the right threads.

Anyway my situation is this... I am a British born Bajan citizen by descent, married (to a British Citizen) with two angels (2.5 years and 1.5 years old). My parents are Bajans living in Barbados and getting on in age so we are now planning to relocate to Barbados. I need to know the following please:

- We are just completing the forms to apply for my husbands and daughters citizenship, but hear this can take a long time. Are we able to go to and stay in Barbados in the mean time until this comes through? Will he / the girls need Visas?

- Are there any circumstances under which he will be able to work (provided a job is available) before his citizenship comes through?

- As stated, I am already a citizen but was wondering if the fact that I am a non-resident at the moment makes any difference to this and my ability to stay / work on the island?

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 9th 2011, 4:31 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hello from a newbie

Welcome to the boards..

for you as a citizen, it doesn't matter that you are a non-resident.. you can live and work here no issues (as long as you can find a job and a place to live).

to my knowledge your children CANNOT apply for citizenship as you, yourself, were not born in Barbados (again, I could be wrong, but this is what I understand.. My husband has nephews and nieces who are Barbadian Citizens by decent but their children, unless born here, cannot hold citizenship - unless I'm guessing it's done through naturalization and living her for a certain number of years).

I'll let someone else speak to the issue of your husband, but he couldn't work unless he has a work permit, citizenship. (again, there is something once his application is in process that he should be able to get.. reside and work.. but it could take some time as well.)

others in similar situations should be able to chime in at this point.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

grassisgreener is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I have citizenship by descent, and my daughter also has it by descent. Neither born in B'dos. I did get my husband's citizenship sorted first though (done before the daughter was born) not sure if that made a difference.

I understand rules are changing all the time, your husband may be able to work whilst waiting for his status - BUT CHECK FIRST.

Also anyone coming to work in international business can speak to Invest Barbados, and get an appointment with an immigration officer at their offices to discuss issues and apply for permits.

Good luck and my kids are around the same age, so PM me when you get here!
Old Oct 28th 2011, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Hi Sunniebgi and grassisgreener,

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you and thanks both for the advice. We have since got forms to apply for both my husband and children's citizenship and I am told I can do them all at the same time.

We are coming out there next Wednesday for a couple of weeks so hope to submit them then and work out our master plan for coming home.

Grassisgreener, being new to all this (I'm a bit of a forum fobe), what is PM'ing you and how do I do it. Might be nice to meet up while we are there if your free?
Old Nov 6th 2011, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi, sorry about that PM is private message, but you can't send or receive them yet - as you haven't commented on enough forum threads (I know because I just tried to send you one). Someone help me out here, how many does she need to comment on before PMs are allowed?

I want to email you but don't fancy sharing my email address with the world!

Or if you're around next Sat or Sun we can arrange to meet up somewhere. Let me know.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 7:31 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute

3 posts before you can PM so if they reply to yours should be ok
Old Nov 8th 2011, 1:16 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info Serendipidy. Hopefully you will be able to PM me after I have sent this then Grassisgreener?!

Let me know if you still can't send a PM and then we can revert to your other suggestion for next weekend.
Old Nov 9th 2011, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

Send a private message to me with your email address, I still can't send a message to you. Thanks