British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   hello (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/hello-633850/)

yellowsunset Oct 4th 2009 12:08 am

hello
 
hello - just got back from a great holiday and catching up with things. We had 2 patio chairs pinched from our patio which was not a welcome surprise as we are still trying to acquire furniture - not lose it! Landlady said we should report it to the police but not sure there's much point?....

Anyway - will be reading all your posts with interest and looking out for any upcoming meet and greets. :)

karibspices Oct 5th 2009 2:05 am

Re: hello
 
you would report it not b/c they would investigate. Instead if the "pinchers" happen to be a neighbour or you happen to see your items on someone else property, you have the report to back up your claims of ownership.

Foxy_fromCanada Oct 5th 2009 12:22 pm

Re: hello
 
:rofl: I have to laugh because this is so true.

yellowsunset Oct 5th 2009 8:10 pm

Re: hello
 
Hmmmm - does that mean I should take a walk down my street and observe my neighbour's patios ? Spoke to the gardener this morning who said he knew nothing about it but that we lived in an area surrounded by drug addicts and that even if we locked the gate they would jump over the fence and that we should lock our stuff away if we go on holiday! :ohmy:

Anyone know where's the best (cheapest :p ) place to buy a potted plant/pot - patio is looking rather bear now and we probably won't replace the stolen chairs and am assuming no one will pinch a plant!

grassisgreener Oct 6th 2009 8:20 pm

Re: hello
 
Sorry to disappoint, but a friend of mine had all her potted plants nicked one night - maybe time to padlock them down!


Originally Posted by yellowsunset (Post 7991505)
Hmmmm - does that mean I should take a walk down my street and observe my neighbour's patios ? Spoke to the gardener this morning who said he knew nothing about it but that we lived in an area surrounded by drug addicts and that even if we locked the gate they would jump over the fence and that we should lock our stuff away if we go on holiday! :ohmy:

Anyone know where's the best (cheapest :p ) place to buy a potted plant/pot - patio is looking rather bear now and we probably won't replace the stolen chairs and am assuming no one will pinch a plant!


yellowsunset Oct 6th 2009 8:28 pm

Re: hello
 
Oh dear - I can't believe someone would pinch some plants! I am not used to this - I did not think we had to worry about patio furniture / plants as it's so common to see these out in other people's gardens/patios and we've never had a problem until now....

grassisgreener Oct 6th 2009 8:37 pm

Re: hello
 
Well, it could be worse, as a student at Uni in England I once had my knickers pinched off the line! I wasn't impressed being a poor student at the time!!!

yellowsunset Oct 6th 2009 11:09 pm

Re: hello
 
wow - knicking your knickers is definitely out of order! :) - I don't think I'd be too amused either. We did have the padlock knicked off our gate too and I think I know who did it (we have had a recurring mango pincher) - I had nipped down the shop and did not bother to lock the gate as would only be gone a few minutes - got back and the padlock itself was gone!!!! Honestly, lately it seems that if it isn't bolted down, it will go for a walk!

Artisanman Oct 7th 2009 4:49 am

Re: hello
 

Originally Posted by yellowsunset (Post 7995177)
wow - knicking your knickers is definitely out of order! :) - I don't think I'd be too amused either. We did have the padlock knicked off our gate too and I think I know who did it (we have had a recurring mango pincher) - I had nipped down the shop and did not bother to lock the gate as would only be gone a few minutes - got back and the padlock itself was gone!!!! Honestly, lately it seems that if it isn't bolted down, it will go for a walk!

Knicked knickers, pinched padlock?

Well, my garden pipe stop cock was removed from the main water supply during the night approx 1 year ago. It's nothing new. Some people just like them more than we do.

Regarding the plants issue. It was a custom (and you will probably still find a few persons doing it) for a person who saw your lovely hedge garden or plants to want a piece of it. One day on their way home from work, the admiration of the plants turns into permanently borrowing a piece of the plant to grow in their own garden. I'm sure it still happens.

You just have to be extra careful these days and may be yes... Even bolt down. The holidays are just around the corner and the way the economy is these days, anything is possible. Just be more vigilant.

neal brown Oct 7th 2009 2:25 pm

Re: hello
 
Sorry to hear but sounds like you are living on the south coast or St.Micheal area.:rofl:

Artisanman Oct 7th 2009 2:38 pm

Re: hello
 

Originally Posted by neal brown (Post 7997119)
Sorry to hear but sounds like you are living on the south coast or St.Micheal area.:rofl:

In the East as a matter of fact. Not as bad as it sounds but it sure is funny in some ways. It's not something that happens everyday or every month either. Same as any other part of the world.

Around that same time I tried to grow some seedlings (lettuce, thyme, basil etc.); the seedlings, crate and the dirt were gone the next morning. I plan to install some cameras soon anyway. That should help.

Generally everything is quiet and sweet.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:52 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.