British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Healthcare Question Please (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/healthcare-question-please-704755/)

AnthonyNYC Feb 10th 2011 1:46 am

Healthcare, Residency, Importing dog Questions

Hello All!

First I have to say this is by far the best forum to find information on moving to Barbados! I have spent the better part of the last week reading and reading. I am up to page 12 and have ventured into every thread so far.

Many of my questions have been answered. Thank to all of you for the excellent threads and posts on the various schools, cost of cars, cost of importing, places to visit, housing costs, supermarket comparisons, internet accss etc. I only wish I would have started a word document to save all the important info!

I will be moving to Barbados from Long Island, New York within a year or so with my wife and 2 daughters (11 and 6). My wife and daughters are US Citizens and were born in the US. I was born in Trinidad but also a US Citizen. I have dual citizenship so I am a member of Caricom. We have a family business so work is not an issue for me. The plan is for my wife to only focus on the kids and PTA etc, she will not need to work.

Here are a few of my questions, thank you in advance for all help and responses.

1. Since I will be working with a private family business, would I still need a work permit?

2. Caricom Member - are things really different being a Caricom member? Anything that stands out?

3. Healthcare - I see citizens of the UK have a special arrangement and it is free for residents and citizens. As a caricom member, how do things work? Would you be turned away in an emergency with no healthcare?

4. Residency - how hard is is really to become a resident of Barbados? With a family business and means to support myself, is it still as hard?

5. Family dog - I have read there is no way to bring a small dog (under 5lbs) from the US to Barbados other then quarantine in the UK for 6 months. Is there any other way to have this done?

I guess that's all for now, thank you again for the assistance.

Anthony

Sunniebgi Feb 11th 2011 10:36 am

Re: Healthcare Question Please

I'll see what I can answer.

1. Since I will be working with a private family business, would I still need a work permit? - Private, public.. yes.. you need a work permit..

2. Caricom Member - are things really different being a Caricom member? Anything that stands out?.. I think it's easier for a Caricom person to get a work permit, but it also depends on the job and the qualifications.

3. Healthcare - I see citizens of the UK have a special arrangement and it is free for residents and citizens. As a caricom member, how do things work? Would you be turned away in an emergency with no healthcare? see my post on another thread.. I don't think you would be turned away if it's an emergency, but you would end up paying.

4. Residency - how hard is is really to become a resident of Barbados? With a family business and means to support myself, is it still as hard? I was told, a few years ago, that they had put the residency applications on the back burner and were working on Work Permits and Citizenship's.. Not sure if that has changed much

5. Family dog - I have read there is no way to bring a small dog (under 5lbs) from the US to Barbados other then quarantine in the UK for 6 months. Is there any other way to have this done? I'm not experienced at this, but I understand this is because there are rabies in the US and not in Barbados, which is why they have to be quarantined somewhere else. I do recall a thread a couple of years ago that asked about this, but not 100pct sure the outcome. You need to check with the Health Ministry about this one.