British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Health Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/health-insurance-717897/)

davews May 21st 2011 5:23 pm

Health Insurance

Hi All

Can anyone suggest a good insurance company that has a good comprehensive health cover in Barbados for me and the missus.

Dave

Serendipidy May 25th 2011 1:56 pm

Re: Health Insurance

Come on guys someone should be able to help out on this one??

bamiskados May 25th 2011 4:32 pm

As far as I know, health insurance can not be taken out by individuals in Barbados.
Only through organisations be it through work(your employer, but only a few companies offer health insurance, somecredit unions offer a health package, not certain if that is for new members, (some of their services require membership from at least six months) depending on age there is BARP( Barbados Associaton of Retired Persons) you don't actually have to be retired but over 50.
And when you are a citizen or permanent resident, the hospital and policlinic services are free of charge, I suppose that is the health insurance for Barbadians.
Expats normally organize their insurance abroad.
Hope this answers your question.
And other then that. call around to insurance companies and see what they say.

CarlHnz May 25th 2011 5:59 pm

I got a policy from Guardian Life for the wife, kids and myself. PM me and I will put you in touch with the broker.

Sunniebgi May 26th 2011 10:33 am

Originally Posted by bamiskados (Post 9387558)
As far as I know, health insurance can not be taken out by individuals in Barbados.
Only through organisations be it through work

I'm pretty sure this is not correct.. I've never heard of an individual NOT being able to pay for their own insurance in Barbados.. it's just much more expensive.

bamiskados May 27th 2011 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Sunniebgi (Post 9389117)
I'm pretty sure this is not correct.. I've never heard of an individual NOT being able to pay for their own insurance in Barbados.. it's just much more expensive.

I know alot of people who cannot PAY for it, maybe register but not foot the bill.

So ...... therefor not accessible for Barbadians, and in my humble opinions , the purpose of insurance is to give coverage for medical costs, but when the costs of the insurance exceeds that it defeats the purpose.

Foreigners living in the island would probably have a better deal with insurance obtained abroad, and as said locals are covered for expenses anyhow, if nessecairy. of course only for the QEH, and not Bayview and other private hospitals.

And it may be incorrect to date.
How ever it HAS been that way up until a few years ago, and I know from experience that individuals have attempted to apply for health insurance but it IS only feasible for the high income class.

Lullabelle01 May 28th 2011 12:19 am

Guardian Life Nemcare, through Sentry Insurance Brokers ask for Dominic

Sunniebgi May 28th 2011 12:31 am

I also thought that unless you are a citizen or resident in Barbados, local insurance companies wouldn't insure you. Not sure about those on work permits.

bamiskados - your statement was that individuals couldn't get health insurance.. That is not true, but like everywhere, you have to pay for it. I currently don't have insurance.. haven't for 2 1/2 years.. now have a health issue that I take a medication that costs me 100.00 every week.. and I have to foot that bill.. AND.. now if I go to get insurance.. it becomes a preexisting condition.. so I'm out all over the place.. but I the point is.. if I can pay for it.. I can get single insurance without working for a business..

davews May 31st 2011 3:54 pm

Hi everyone

Thank you very much for your responces, I have sent out for a few quotes so will have to see if I can afford them. Once again thanks.

Dave

Lyndi1 Nov 10th 2011 9:28 am

Hi everyone,

Dave, I was wondering if you managed to find affordable health insurance?

My family and I are thinking of moving to Barbados in September next year. One of the issues that I am unsure about is health insurance. My husband's family out in Barbados don't have health insurance and just pay for any treatment they need at the time, but i'm not sure I feel comfortable about that idea.

Does anyone have experience on Health Insurers in Barbados, and roughly how much it would cost for a family of 3.

Lynda

Lullabelle01 Nov 10th 2011 10:41 am

Its not too expensive, my self and my daughter had health insurance for approx $1400 BDS per year, with Guardian Life, contact Dominic at Sentry Insurance Brokers, and he will be able to give you the different options, its well worth getting as it covers, dental and vision also. Plus with that policy you only pay a percentage of the docs visit and prescription.

Lyndi1 Nov 10th 2011 11:01 am

Hi Lullabelle,

That's reasonable, I'll give him a call a bit nearer the time.

Thanks for answering my plea :)

L