British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Having a baby in Barbados and dual nationality (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/having-baby-barbados-dual-nationality-452890/)

shines May 24th 2007 3:19 pm

Having a baby in Barbados and dual nationality

Hi all,

I am moving out to Barbados (:thumbsup:) in June to live with my partner, by this time I will be 20 weeks pregnant.

My partner has said there is a private medical centre I can go to for the birth but wondering if any of you wonderful people have any other information, names of doctors etc that would be useful.

Also I am British and the baby will obviously be born in Barbados, anyone know how I register for dual nationality...

Oooh one more question, sorry, my daugter is nearly 3, is there anyway she can get citizenship in Barbados (she is not my new partners daughter). I will be getting married but will this cover her too?

Many thanks,

Sue

_Tropical_11th May 24th 2007 6:10 pm

Re: Having a baby in Barbados and dual nationality

Originally Posted by shines (Post 4826254)
Hi all,

I am moving out to Barbados (:thumbsup:) in June to live with my partner, by this time I will be 20 weeks pregnant.

My partner has said there is a private medical centre I can go to for the birth but wondering if any of you wonderful people have any other information, names of doctors etc that would be useful.

Also I am British and the baby will obviously be born in Barbados, anyone know how I register for dual nationality...

Oooh one more question, sorry, my daugter is nearly 3, is there anyway she can get citizenship in Barbados (she is not my new partners daughter). I will be getting married but will this cover her too?

Many thanks,

Sue

Barbados automatically allows dual nationality no matter what for a person born there. If you're moving back to the UK? Chances are you would have to apply to have your child conffered with UK citizenship though based on yours if you were to return there.

Not too difficult. Barbados is considered an upper-middle income global society so UK isn't too strict about immigration from Barbados anyways.

However even if the UK required you to renounce previous citizenships Barbados doesn't recognize that unless you goto their embassy and renounce in person.

Barbados has a couple of health facilities.
The main (government) one is the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (QEH) that's on the edge of Bridgetown.

There's a couple private owned ones too.
BayView Hospital:
http://www.bayviewhospital.com.bb/

For the couple that has been trying but isn't having luck.
The Barbados Fertility Centre Inc.
http://www.barbadosivf.org/

And there's a number of smaller clinics and doctors across the island.

Other helpful links. The Barbados constitution on citizenship:
http://www.barbados.gov.bb/bdsconst_chpt2.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbadian_citizenship
http://www.multiplecitizenship.com/w..._BARBADOS.html

username 34 May 24th 2007 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by shines (Post 4826254)
Hi all,

Many thanks,

Sue

is your partner Bajan?? I think citizenship only comes after a certain period of residency - but I may be wrong - even of you marry a Bajan.

obviously dont give up our Brit passport, I have Caricom citizenship and the visa's etc to enter most countries are a PAIN in the neck - whereas the Brit passport just lets you waltz through anywhere.

I tend to travel to the UK and other places on my Brit passport and back inot the WI on my caricom status. quicker lines both ways :thumbsup:

shines May 25th 2007 7:23 am

Hiya,

thanks for your replies...

My partner is Bajan, I think we have to be married a year before I get citizenship... Just not sure if that would cover my existing daughter... If I have 2 passports and the new baby has 2, will she only have a UK one, which means when we travel back to UK (each year to visit her dad) we'll all have to travel out on UK ones (which is ok) but also back on UK ones as I can't make her queue alone...:D as tempting as it may be at times...

Hopefully immigration will be ok, as I am pregnant and obviously not going to be working and will be supported by my partner... By the time the baby is old enough for nursery/school then I should have citizenship and be able to work...

Looking forward to moving now, hopefully only 3 weeks or so to go, I finish work here next week!:thumbsup:

Anyone know of any mother/child groups that I could get in touch with to help myself and my daughter meet some new friends out there, she is at the age where mummy alone is not enough to play with!

Thanks again!

Sue

Blazebajan Jun 2nd 2007 9:58 pm

Immigration shouldn't be an issue, families are allowed to queue together even if one of you has a different passport, after all no one will reasonably expect you to send your child to a different line...

Children born in Bim (bds) are citizens by birth but if the parents are from tthe UK then they are also citizens of the UK by descent. I'm not sure how that works if your hubby is Bajan though.

You mentioned an older child, same Dad? if yes then she is automatically bajan if not then I believe he will have to legally adopt her if you want a bajan passport, but really having a British passport will get you across more borders than a Bajan one

Bayview Hospital has excellent care but if you have any complications with the birth you will be sent over to the QEH hospital (public) anyway, if cost is not a factor by all means use Bayview but the cost of care is about six times that of QEH.

Get a good private doctor and no matter where you choose to deliver you will have your doctor at your side, there are some very good ones here.

There is also the Birthing centre but again anything more difficult than the easiest of natural births and you will end up back at the public hospital anyway...

I hope you enjoy Barbados when you get here and I hope all goes well with the pregnancy

shines Jun 3rd 2007 10:13 am

Thanks for your reply and your kind thoughts...

I may have to have another c section as I had one with my daughter and another may be advised, if so can you recommend a doctor? Would this be ok at the QEH? Is the QEH private or would I just need to pay as a non citizen...

My daughter has a different dad (British) so I assume she will remain a UK citizen, do you have any idea if this would be an issue with her attending school or will she just need to get a study visa!

My flights are finally booked so will be on our way on 23rd June :thumbsup:

Must pack at some point :)

Thanks again

Sue

9527faye Jun 4th 2007 1:28 pm

Hi i was just reading your messages. we are also relocating with our 2 children to barbados and are not married i have been told that i can only stay for 6months as we are not married, would you know if this is right. My partners family live in barbados and we are going on a work visa for him
any suggestions would help?

shines Jun 4th 2007 4:08 pm

I'm not sure how that will work, are you planning on getting married. I think if you did then you would get a non work visa and your children would get student visa's...

I'm sure soemone on here knows better than I do but I think it would be easier if you were married...

Sue

Blazebajan Jun 4th 2007 6:39 pm

unmarried partners do not qualify for anything more than a visitors visa. Sorry

9527faye Jun 5th 2007 9:57 am

Can you not visit barbados and go to each hotel/company looking for work and then get a job out there, so then you apply for a visa - how do all the aupairs do it - i've come across many websites for them??

Blazebajan Jun 5th 2007 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by 9527faye (Post 4874622)
Can you not visit barbados and go to each hotel/company looking for work and then get a job out there, so then you apply for a visa - how do all the aupairs do it - i've come across many websites for them??

if you are specialized and there is no bajan qualified to do the job you want maybe but even then that is a risky proposition.

The hotel industry is the best bet, chefs are in high demand as are top level managers with experience. Keep scanning the Barbadian papers online for jobs but I wouldn't reccommend just er 'winging it"

what websites for Au Pairs? can you show me the link?

9527faye Jun 5th 2007 12:24 pm

I worked in recruitment for 7 years and have worked in office management for the last 5, previous to that i have worked in a hotel but only a weekends, a part-time job whilst studying at college. I studied photography, but only went into the industry for a couple of years. The nanny website is
www.newaupair.com. Am i missing any really obvious websites that most barbados companies would recruit on?

i have been searching through all their local papers online, but would the advertise in these if they are looking for a non local person

thanks for your help, really appreciate it?

Blazebajan Jun 5th 2007 12:35 pm

You are already ahread, you're coming here anyway, so when you get here start calling around to the hotels, look in the paper the reality is that if they hire you they will get your work permit, now you have to make sure they hire you, what can you do that a Barbadian National cannot?

thanks for the link

9527faye Jun 5th 2007 12:38 pm

thanks for the support!. Where can i get a list of top 50 companies in barbados from?