Having a baby in Barbados

Old Nov 10th 2008, 8:10 pm
hlv
Just Joined

hlv is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having a baby in Barbados

I must admit, I'm a US citizen so my inital apologies for infiltrating a British expat forum. I currently live in Barbados and am looking to get pregnant and have my baby in Barbados. I was wondering who could offer more information regarding Bayview Hospital and their experiences. Also, can anyone offer advice regarding a private OBGYN? I haven't ruled out QEH, although I didn't find the facilites to be all that clean, but realize that Bayview does not offer emergency services. Should all go well, it would be my first pregnancy so I am unsure as to whether it would be realitvely 'normal.' I realize private care via the hospital is more expensive; is the same true for private doctors? If anyone can offer advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
HLV
Old Nov 10th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Having a baby in Barbados

Hi there,

Unfortunately I can't offer you any advice from my own experience, but your topic has been covered in various threads on the forum. Check these out and see if they answer your questions:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=475007

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499022

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=516824

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=489895

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=460287

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452890

Good luck to you.
Foxy
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:39 am

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

HI HLV.. I'm also an american who infiltrated this board (they haven't kicked me off yet). I've been here 16years.. and have had 3 babies born at Bayview. Dr. Maurice Smith has been my OB/GYN for as long as I've been here.. some people like him, others do not (it's his bedside manner). I was lucky to have fairly uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries (if you call my second child having her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck 3 times - he called her thrice blessed.. and preceeded to just slip the whole thing off her with no problems). all of my children were born on time or slightly after term (one went 10 to 15days over, which they don't like here, but it was a situation with the timing, so when he was ready, Doc let him out). my first was the only one not induced and came on her due date.. the other 2 induced after the date.

my sister in law has had 4 C-Sections at Bayview.. all babies and mom fine. My best friend had 2 early deliveries, both babies (I know the first one, but not sure of the 2nd) went from Bayview to QEH for a short period after the birth.. standard procedure for early, underweight (less than 5lbs), or over weight (over 9 or 10lbs) babies to go to QEH.

Yes you pay for the services.. Dr. Smith has a pre-pay plan to pay him upfront and you get a slight discount. The hospital will charge depending on the number of nights you stay in. Insurance should cover some of all of that as well. (depending on the insurance company.. my hubbies insurance at the time paid next to nothing, but has since changed that.. after I didn't need it of course).

and yes there have been war stories about both locations. problems, complications etc.. but I'm guessing this can happen anywhere.

also, I believe if both you and your husband are expat, you will pay for either location for the privilage of giving birth, but QEH may not cost as much.

At Bayview, I also paid more for a private room, which I'm not sure they even have at QEH. I have been in the "ward rooms" at Bayview and it's loads better than any "ward room" at QEH.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Mad Q is an unknown quantity at this point

My partner is a OB-GYN and she decided to have our son born in the UK as opposed ti here in Barbados. She knows all the OBGYNs here but because of some issues that are a regular occurrence she decided on the UK.

I will speak to her tonight and get her input and feedback to you guys. She's currently on maternity leave so I'm sure she'll love the opportunity to input!!

Q
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:11 pm
hlv
Just Joined

Hi everyone! Thanks for the imput. Just found out tonight that I am pregnant so I plan to call for an OBGYN appt this week. I have read other posts that recommend Dr. Greaves and Dr. Scholar-Shepard. Anyone have any insight regarding their bedside manner? I usually prefer a male (go figure - seems more natural) but I need someone with a "fun" type of personality that relaxes me a lot.

SunnieBGI.......how would you describe your Dr's bedside manner? Also, I have insurance w/ Sagicor which is basically crap......I know that Bayview is not covered at all, does that go for Dr visits with Dr. Smith? You mentioned something about pay-up-front policy. Is that for delivery only or all dr's visits prior to birth?

Thanks again for all your help.

HLV
Old Dec 14th 2008, 11:39 pm

Sunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond reputeSunniebgi has a reputation beyond repute

HI HLV.. When you say Bayview isn't covered, does the insurance specifically state that it only covers for delivery at QEH??? or is up to a certain amount. Ours at the time was only a certain amount, it didn't specify location. but we preferred Bayview (and my husband is Barbadian.)

Dr. Smith only delivers at Bayview.. re his bedside manner, if you are a prude,, or even slightly that way.. you may not want to go to him.. I have a story I tell about his bedside manner, which I will not repeat here, but suffice it to say, others might have found it rude.. I just laughed.. (it was not in anyway sexual, or demeaning , just down right funny.. but I know a couple of people who would have jumped up off the table, dressed and walked out... and this was just a basic pap smear).. I personally feel very comfortable with him and with Bayview (again, others will beg to differ).

Dr. Greaves used to be his back up, I'm guessing still is.. That means while they don't practise in the same office, if you are a patient of Dr. S, and he is on holiday and you go into labour, or need to be seen, you go to Dr. G. and vice versa.

I'd suggest that you give Jan, his receptionist a call (Mon-Thu) after 830am and get an appointment and see what you think.

good luck and congratulations..
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:17 pm
hlv
Just Joined

I called sagicor a few months ago to find out how it worked and they said they will not pay for private care. compared to the US, bayview out of pocket is cheap but I was wondering whether they refused to pay for "private doctors" versus "public doctors. whatever, it doesn't matter.

i commend you for being here for 16 years! i couldn't deal w/out starbucks that long!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

zanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to allzanne is a name known to all

Isn't private care the whole point of the insurance?
Old Dec 16th 2008, 1:59 am

Call Sagicor back and ask the difference between private care and public care. any of the OBGYN's that you contact would be considered private care unless they are saying you have to see an OB at one of the Polyclinics..

I agree with Zanne, isn't the whole point of insurance for the best care, even if you end up paying some out of pocket??

Re the Starbucks.. that's what the 2lb bags purchased on trips and airport 1lb bags are for.. and the grinder and the french press.. yum!!!..
Old Dec 16th 2008, 2:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

You've got that right, Sunnie. We bring back a bag on every trip!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:06 pm

HLV... I spoke to someone who does Sagicor Insurance. (I have a retirement plan with them.. of course when you don't work, you can't contribute to it, but they still hold it).. anyway..

I asked her about their general policy, not knowing your specific information.. basically this is what she said...

"Sagicor pays $2,500.00. This includes normal delivery doctors fees and everything connected with the pregnancy. For a C-section the total $3,000.00. For a mis-carriage the amount is $1,200.00.

Public care is free at the policlinics and we are not connected with that."

So.. The only time insurance is going to pay for anything is if you go to a private doctor ie, Maurice Smith, Dr. Greaves, Julie Skinner.. whomever.. The only Public Ob-GYN's are at the polyclinic and you wouldn't pay anyway (well an expat might, but nominal).

so.. Again.. I recommend you check again.. and see what the real answer is. and ask for it in writing.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:31 pm
hlv
Just Joined

Sunniebgi,
Thanks for checking - that was really sweet of you!
When I spoke to Sagicor a few months back she mentioned that Babyview itself was not covered AT ALL and that Dr's visits were - they just "cap" you around a certain dollar amount to guarantee you that the whole delivery is covered.
The ways I understand it, is that I can bill Sagicor for all visits w/ the dr but not for the room at Bayview which is $3K for three days of a private room.

How much do dr's normally charge for the delivery itself? Per office visit? We certainly expect to pay in the end, I was just trying to get a ball park figure so I 'm "mentally" prepared and not utterly shocked!

Thanks agiain for your help!!!!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

Hi there,

My OB-GYN is Dr Scholar-Sheppard, she delivered my baby at Bayview last year by C section.

The overall cost of the visits and the delivery (including the anesthetist who you pay seperately and Bayview) came to around $8000.

A normal delivery is $2000 but if you have a C Section you pay another $2000 to your doctor. I only stayed in Bayview one night though.

HTH

S
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:05 pm
hlv
Just Joined

Can anyone recommend a good paedatrician here in Barbados? Looking for someone with experience and the type of individual to 'get out of bed at night' in the event of an emergency.

Appreciate any info.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

I use Dr Soo Ping Chow- she has given me her home and cell number and will answer at any time - not tried the middle of the night but I know others who have...I find her very down to earth.

Also Dr Jhagroo - she was the Paed covering Soo Ping Chow when my last baby was born and I found her very helpful and pleasant...

I am sure there are plenty others... Did you have your baby yet?

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.