Having a Baby in Barbados

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 2:41 pm
rwg
Just Joined

rwg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Having a Baby in Barbados

Thanks Bajanswife and Sunnibgi
First, apologies - this is the 1st time I have ever used a forum and so you may find the same question (+ added bits) on another thread. I hope to improve!
Regards
rwg
Old Feb 24th 2008, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

kateric is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MissyMum
Have been following this site for a while as we live very close (Saint Vincent) and know that we are moving to Barbados at some point, we just don’t know when, but it looks like it could be Easter 2008. I have a 3 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl and expecting another baby in May, so have been very interested in all posts regarding schools and where to live etc. I was considering returning to the UK to give birth, but timing sucks with the move so close to my due date, so I am now thinking about having the baby in Barbados. Can anyone give me details of the Bayview Hospital … would you recommend it, are the midwives any good, what kind of facilities do they have? Would love to hear from anyone who has had personal experience of having a baby in Barbados.
Hi Missy Mum

We are currently living in the Grenadines (Mustique) and are also looking to head over to Barbados to live. We have a 15 month boy and a nearly 4 year old girl. We are originally from NZ but lived in London for several years (like so many Kiwis do!) I don't have any advice on where to birth sorry but hope you don't mind me asking you how you got on looking for housing etc when you went over. I am unable to PM you as I have only recently joined this forum. We will head over in a few weeks to have a look at preschools etc and places to live so if you like I can let you know how we get on, although I guess you will be somewhat preoccupied with your plans and new arrival. Good Luck and any information you gather would be great.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 2:42 pm
Just Joined

MissyMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Kateric,

Apart from Liat really messing us about (so what’s new) it was a great trip. We were supposed to arrive at 7.30am and, long story, didn’t get there until 2.30pm (yeah, it’s a 40 min flight!), so we had to cancel all our appointments for the first day and squeeze everything in to the second day. However, we saw quite a few places and the first house we saw, we took and we are thrilled with it, just what we wanted and where we wanted it. We are definitely moving over at Easter, so busy packing at the moment (oh what fun!).

There are loads of rentals on the market, some are overpriced, but many are very reasonable. We were limited as we have dogs, and unfortunately it seems most rentals don’t allow dogs, but if you are without pets, then you will have lots to choose from. Check out cariblist.com. We worked with 2 agents, Marcia from Terra Caribbean and Junior from Global Estate Agency.

I was hoping to get both my kids into Casa Dei Bambini, but my son turned 4 last month and unfortunately she cannot take kids over 4, so he is now signed up for Providence and my DD will be home as my little helper with the new baby until September.

I would definitely recommend choosing the school first and then deciding on where to live which is close by. The traffic really is horrendous, I know they are doing major road works at the moment and hopefully everything will be better once they have finished, but having experienced the frustration of sitting in unmoving traffic, I know I couldn’t handle it on a daily basis. I’m sure that’s not a problem in Mustique (lucky you), but something to consider if you hate traffic as much as I do.

Anything else I can help with, just let me know.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi MissyMum

Thanks so much. I have sent you a PM.

Thanks
Kate
Old Feb 27th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

shines will become famous soon enoughshines will become famous soon enough

I was hoping to get both my kids into Casa Dei Bambini, but my son turned 4 last month and unfortunately she cannot take kids over 4, so he is now signed up for Providence and my DD will be home as my little helper with the new baby until September.

Hi there,

My DD goes to Casa at the moment and will also be moving to Providence reception class in September, let me know when you arrive on the Island and we could meet up. I also have a 4 month old baby...

Sue
Old Feb 28th 2008, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Hi Sue

How old is your daughter at Casa? Is Casa the best preschool over there? Do you know of any for younger children? Our son is 15 months but hasn't had too much interaction with his own age here in Mustique so I am keen to get him in somewhere for a couple of mornings a week. Also our daughter turns 4 in April and we are not sure where the best place for her is to go. I saw Providence mentioned previously but haven't seen any references to it. Is this a private primary school? Sorry to ask so many questions but our decision to come has happened so quickly and we might head over there at the end of March and try to find a place to live, school etc without having done a look first. We have one friend there who has said that the traffic is horrendous so we need to find preschools, schools first I guess before we decide on living location. We have heard St James is a good spot? Any thoughts really appreciated.

Cheers
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kateric
Hi Sue

How old is your daughter at Casa? Is Casa the best preschool over there? Do you know of any for younger children? Our son is 15 months but hasn't had too much interaction with his own age here in Mustique so I am keen to get him in somewhere for a couple of mornings a week. Also our daughter turns 4 in April and we are not sure where the best place for her is to go. I saw Providence mentioned previously but haven't seen any references to it. Is this a private primary school? Sorry to ask so many questions but our decision to come has happened so quickly and we might head over there at the end of March and try to find a place to live, school etc without having done a look first. We have one friend there who has said that the traffic is horrendous so we need to find preschools, schools first I guess before we decide on living location. We have heard St James is a good spot? Any thoughts really appreciated.

Cheers
Hiya

My daughter is 3 1/2 and will be leaving Casa this summer to move to Providence. I have found Casa to be a fantastic pre school, my daughter settled in within 3 days which is a sign she is very happy and comfortable there and the teachers are first class. I don't know of any pre schools for other children, there are nurseries that take younger children, mainly used by local people who need to work. I am sure you sould check someout, there are also a few toddler groups that meets up that you could take your 15 month old too so that may be enough for what you need. Let me know when you a re here and I can introduce you to them if you like.

Providence is a private primary school, it is quite a new school but it is worth you checking availability as I know that the reception class for September 08 is filling up fast, another one to try is Codrington.

Traffic is not easy at all but Providence or Codrington are not too bad a journey from St James as you can go via back roads in about 30 mins or so.

Let me know if you have any more questions, happy to help.

Sue
Old Feb 28th 2008, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sue

Thanks so much for all your help. I am in the process of sorting things now. Our daughter will be 4 in April therefore will she not be able to attend Casa? I understand from these forums that they do not take over 4's. What happens when they turn 4? Do you have a contact number to call them? I have had a look at the Providence and Codrington Websites so will give them a call soon to talk about availability.

thanks again
Kate
Old Feb 28th 2008, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

MissyMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,

My DD goes to Casa at the moment and will also be moving to Providence reception class in September, let me know when you arrive on the Island and we could meet up. I also have a 4 month old baby...

Sue[/QUOTE]

I will definitely be in touch Sue when we get there, hopefully the Easter weekend. We will be in a short term rental until our house is ready on April 1 and we will be busy getting furniture for it, so as soon as we settle in I will let you know and we must meet up.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Hi Sue

Thanks for all your help. I had a good chat with Angelique at Casa and she said that she has about seven 4 year olds there at present who are staying until they are 5 and she can take our daughter so we will have a look when we get there as to our options. I just spoke with a very unhelpful woman at Providence who said that there are no spaces left at all for preschool or reception so that option is out for us anyhow. We are due to be there on March 20 so need to find a place to live ASAP. Is cariblist the best website to use? We have no idea where to live or the proximity to amenities such as preschool but thought somewhere in St James???

thanks again
Kate
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

St James is good for Casa.

Have you tried Codrington for spaces, I know Providence is full. I also know the unhelpful lady you are referring too

Let me know how you get on with Condrington, they run a school bus that picks up/drops off in St James...

HTH

Sue