British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/)
-   -   Having a Baby in Barbados (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbados-109/having-baby-barbados-499022/)

MissyMum Dec 10th 2007 4:52 pm

Having a Baby in Barbados

Have been following this site for a while as we live very close (Saint Vincent) and know that we are moving to Barbados at some point, we just don’t know when, but it looks like it could be Easter 2008. I have a 3 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl and expecting another baby in May, so have been very interested in all posts regarding schools and where to live etc. I was considering returning to the UK to give birth, but timing sucks with the move so close to my due date, so I am now thinking about having the baby in Barbados. Can anyone give me details of the Bayview Hospital … would you recommend it, are the midwives any good, what kind of facilities do they have? Would love to hear from anyone who has had personal experience of having a baby in Barbados.

Rumswizz Dec 10th 2007 11:55 pm

Re: Having a Baby in Barbados

Originally Posted by MissyMum (Post 5653196)
Have been following this site for a while as we live very close (Saint Vincent) and know that we are moving to Barbados at some point, we just don’t know when, but it looks like it could be Easter 2008. I have a 3 yr old boy and 2 yr old girl and expecting another baby in May, so have been very interested in all posts regarding schools and where to live etc. I was considering returning to the UK to give birth, but timing sucks with the move so close to my due date, so I am now thinking about having the baby in Barbados. Can anyone give me details of the Bayview Hospital … would you recommend it, are the midwives any good, what kind of facilities do they have? Would love to hear from anyone who has had personal experience of having a baby in Barbados.

Hi there!

Speak with Shines, she just a beautiful baby girl and delivered at Bayview......(ooooh babies....sorry..broody mama! LOL)

RS

MissyMum Dec 11th 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks RS.
Hope you read this Shines - congratulations on your baby girl. I know you must be pretty busy, but would love to hear all about it!

shines Dec 11th 2007 9:37 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for the congratulations, my DD was born on 23rd October at bayview via C Section. She is my 2nd daugter and my first was a C Section due to breech presentation.

I found the staff at Bayview fabulous in the majority. There was one shift that wer not as friendly as the other 2 but I think you can get that anywhere. The midwife who looked after me during the secton and after was a lady called Jeanette Gittens and I can't rate her highly enough. The midwfe on night duty was also lovely (sorry can't remember her name).

The facilities were as you would find in any hospital except there is no SCBU there so if your pregnancy is hgh risk for any reason some may suggest you go the the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where that facility is. You also need to check out where your OB-GYN can deliver at as some only work and Bayview and some only a QEH.

Compared to the British NHS system I would say that whilst it is not free the care is very good and I loved the fact that you have an OB GYN who sees you all the way through the pregnancy and then delivers your baby. I think it all depends on what you are used to currently. My OB-GYN is lovely and a very down to earth, sensible person, she even let me leave the following day as my 3 yr old was stressed about my being away at bed time etc. Also the paedatrician I use is first class and again a breath of fresh air compared to a GP in the UK...

I would not hesitate to have another baby here...

Let me know if there is anything I have missed out or PM me if you like if you have any other questions etc...

Congratulations to you

Sue xxx

zanne Dec 11th 2007 10:29 pm

Shines-- it didn't occur to me that your little one is a Scorpio (just like me!) every time my gardener is here he always finishes our conversations by reminding himself that I am a Scorpio, it cracks me up.

shines Dec 12th 2007 12:13 am

Hey honey,

She is actually a Libran, Scorpio begins on 24th...(although I think it depends what calendar you use) I am a scorpio though :D

S x

MissyMum Dec 12th 2007 12:54 am

Originally Posted by shines (Post 5658103)
Hi there,

Thanks for the congratulations, my DD was born on 23rd October at bayview via C Section. She is my 2nd daugter and my first was a C Section due to breech presentation.

I found the staff at Bayview fabulous in the majority. There was one shift that wer not as friendly as the other 2 but I think you can get that anywhere. The midwife who looked after me during the secton and after was a lady called Jeanette Gittens and I can't rate her highly enough. The midwfe on night duty was also lovely (sorry can't remember her name).

The facilities were as you would find in any hospital except there is no SCBU there so if your pregnancy is hgh risk for any reason some may suggest you go the the Queen Elizabeth Hospital where that facility is. You also need to check out where your OB-GYN can deliver at as some only work and Bayview and some only a QEH.

Compared to the British NHS system I would say that whilst it is not free the care is very good and I loved the fact that you have an OB GYN who sees you all the way through the pregnancy and then delivers your baby. I think it all depends on what you are used to currently. My OB-GYN is lovely and a very down to earth, sensible person, she even let me leave the following day as my 3 yr old was stressed about my being away at bed time etc. Also the paedatrician I use is first class and again a breath of fresh air compared to a GP in the UK...

I would not hesitate to have another baby here...

Let me know if there is anything I have missed out or PM me if you like if you have any other questions etc...

Congratulations to you

Sue xxx

Hi Sue, thanks so much for your reply. I've only made 3 posts, so not sure I can PM yet.

I guess I need to start by going to an OB-GYN, can you recommend one? I've had 2 normal pregnancies, so not expecting any problems, but you never know!

I feel a little more optimistic about this working out, thank you for putting my mind at rest.

shines Dec 12th 2007 7:06 pm

Hiya,

My OB-GYN is Dr Agatha Scholar-Shepperd, she is based in Wildey and delivers at Bayview.

Shekinah Medical Centre Inc Wildey 426-9983 0r 426-9984

I have also heard that Donn Greaves is very popular but I have no direct experience of him.

Greaves Donn Dr Obstetrics & Gynaecology

River Rd St M 427-8117

Hope that helps...

Sue

simon-hannah Jan 18th 2008 8:09 pm

hi sounds like you wil be busy, your children are all very close in age. we are possibly moving to barbados later in the year. i am also having a baby in may but i chickened out of giving birth abroad. we are staying in england til after the birth. i have 3 children already aged 7, 5 and 1. if you get to barbados would be nice to hear how you get on, and hopefuly we will be out there before too long.

MissyMum Jan 22nd 2008 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by simon-hannah (Post 5807180)
hi sounds like you wil be busy, your children are all very close in age. we are possibly moving to barbados later in the year. i am also having a baby in may but i chickened out of giving birth abroad. we are staying in england til after the birth. i have 3 children already aged 7, 5 and 1. if you get to barbados would be nice to hear how you get on, and hopefuly we will be out there before too long.

Hi there,

Congratulations on baby no. 4 and also on the job in Barbados. We are currently in St. Vincent just waiting on a moving date to get to Barbados. I either have to have the baby in Barbados or back in the UK and right now I would prefer to have it in Barbados, it will be much easier and less costly, so fingers crossed we will be over there in the next couple of months ... time is running out, only 15 weeks to go!!! I'll keep you posted ...

Bajanswife Feb 6th 2008 9:59 pm

Some things to bear in mind.

As mentioned before, Bayview doesn't have an NICU, so babies in need of it have to be transferred without their moms. But Bayview is generally more comfortable. One of the drawbacks of Bayview is that it's very small, and not staffed 24/7 with people who can perform surgery, including surgical nurses and anaesthetists. If you need an emergency c-section at Bayview, a team may have to be called in, as there may not be a team already there, and you'd better hope the op room has already been cleaned up and sterilized since the last surgery in there, otherwise you have to wait on that too. That hospital is really designed for routine stuff, not emergencies.

QEH is much less expensive, but not as comfortable, however, emergency facilities are more readily available. I don't have any personal experience - I have heard good and bad stories there. Which one you choose depends on your tolerance for risk, and the level of comfort you need.

There are 2 other options that haven't been mentioned: stand alone birthing centre, and home birth, both of which can be attended by a wonderful midwife and doula. My second and third children were waterbirths at the birthing centre, and it was like night and day compared to my first birth at Bayview (even though that first birth wasn't that bad!). People I talk to are often concerned about what happens in an emergency if you are at the Birthing Centre or at home, but what they fail to realize is that if they are at Bayview and an emergency happens, they might not be much better off! The BC is next door to an ambulance service, it's just up the road from the QEH, and they do keep oxygen and an incubator, plus intubation supplies, and the midwife is trained in infant rescucitation. I personally feel that low risk pregnant women are in good hands with her, but of course everyone has to make up their minds about that.

One thing you will find here is that if you want an epidural at Bayview, you have to arrange for one in advance, or there is no guarantee that an anaesthetist will be around to give you one. They tend to use Pethidine for pain relief, or you can rent a TENS machine from an occupational therapist (I did for baby #1). The hospitals don't have tubs to relax in, or birthing balls, or rocking chairs ...... you have to arrange all your own comfort stuff if you want it. You can hire the doula to be at the hospital with you, and that really helps a lot of people, especially those who don't want the drugs, and especially those who get a bad nursing shift who don't give much support. The doula is registered at the worldwide doula association - you can find her there. The BC is in the phone book under Family Birthing Centre.

MissyMum Feb 7th 2008 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Bajanswife (Post 5896341)

As mentioned before, Bayview doesn't have an NICU, so babies in need of it have to be transferred without their moms. But Bayview is generally more comfortable. One of the drawbacks of Bayview is that it's very small, and not staffed 24/7 with people who can perform surgery, including surgical nurses and anaesthetists. If you need an emergency c-section at Bayview, a team may have to be called in, as there may not be a team already there, and you'd better hope the op room has already been cleaned up and sterilized since the last surgery in there, otherwise you have to wait on that too. That hospital is really designed for routine stuff, not emergencies.

QEH is much less expensive, but not as comfortable, however, emergency facilities are more readily available. I don't have any personal experience - I have heard good and bad stories there. Which one you choose depends on your tolerance for risk, and the level of comfort you need.

There are 2 other options that haven't been mentioned: stand alone birthing centre, and home birth, both of which can be attended by a wonderful midwife and doula. My second and third children were waterbirths at the birthing centre, and it was like night and day compared to my first birth at Bayview (even though that first birth wasn't that bad!). People I talk to are often concerned about what happens in an emergency if you are at the Birthing Centre or at home, but what they fail to realize is that if they are at Bayview and an emergency happens, they might not be much better off! The BC is next door to an ambulance service, it's just up the road from the QEH, and they do keep oxygen and an incubator, plus intubation supplies, and the midwife is trained in infant rescucitation. I personally feel that low risk pregnant women are in good hands with her, but of course everyone has to make up their minds about that.

One thing you will find here is that if you want an epidural at Bayview, you have to arrange for one in advance, or there is no guarantee that an anaesthetist will be around to give you one. They tend to use Pethidine for pain relief, or you can rent a TENS machine from an occupational therapist (I did for baby #1). The hospitals don't have tubs to relax in, or birthing balls, or rocking chairs ...... you have to arrange all your own comfort stuff if you want it. You can hire the doula to be at the hospital with you, and that really helps a lot of people, especially those who don't want the drugs, and especially those who get a bad nursing shift who don't give much support. The doula is registered at the worldwide doula association - you can find her there. The BC is in the phone book under Family Birthing Centre.

Very interesting, thank you so much for that info Bajanswife. I'm coming over to Barbados next week to try and find somewhere to live, so I will definitely check out the Birthing Centre.

rwg Feb 20th 2008 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Bajanswife (Post 5896341)

Hi am a uk midwife currently practising - husband will be relocated to barbados in may 2008 - any idea who to contact for midwifery jobs on the island? many thanks rwg

Sunniebgi Feb 20th 2008 8:51 am

http://bayviewhospital.com.bb/specialities.htm

I would suggest that you contact someone at Bayview Hospital about this. They would/should be able to guide you as to a contact person.

Good luck.

Bajanswife Feb 20th 2008 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by rwg (Post 5957855)
Hi am a uk midwife currently practising - husband will be relocated to barbados in may 2008 - any idea who to contact for midwifery jobs on the island? many thanks rwg

You could also talk to Kathy Neblett at Family Birthing Centre. She may not have room for another midwife in her practice, but I'm sure she can tell you a lot about midwifery in Barbados. She has also worked at Bayview, and give you the scoop about what it's like to work there.

http://www.familybirthingcentre.net