Hairdressing

Old Jul 30th 2015, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

Noobikes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hairdressing

Hi,

My husband has just had a job offer to come to barbados, I own 2 successful award winning hair salons in uk and have a 4 year old daughter. We are considering the possibility of moving there but understandably we are slightly nervous. The opportunity we believe is too good to pass up however I'm aware that it's unlikely I'd qualify for a work permit (I have management qualifications, assessing qualifications and obviously extensive hairdressing qualifications), it's also unlikely I could get a sponsor to start a business. Tbh, part of the reason for the move is to give me a break. I understand that settling in is always difficult (we lived in Germany for 5 years pre child) but I'd quite like to continue my trade. What does everyone in barbados do when they need a hair cut? Would it be inconceivable to do some cash in hand work? Thanks in advance
Old Jul 31st 2015, 11:30 am

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hairdressing

Hi Noo bikes....welcome

They go to the hair dressers lol or a friend does it for them..obviously Afro Caribbean hair is what the majority of salons or hairdressers cater for....one thing that is well supplied in barbados is the ability to look good...having european hair I had two amazing hairdressers one was english and the other local girl in a hotel so was well versed in european hair...Waves based in Bougainvillia Andrea...lovely lady.

The Island is much more about who you know than what you know...as you know building up ya clientelle takes time and is mostly word of mouth in the hairdressing industry...

Just a point that I shouldnt have to say but gonna be real realistic here...There is a word that Bajans use that means nosey its "Malicious" - now if you did take up work cash in hand and happened to fall out with someone , local or ex pat, having worked cash in hand can be used against you with immigration..now that pettiness doesnt go on so much in UK but in a small island where some people love rabble rousing for sport..your more vulnerable its the risk you run...you could be offered something in a salon but whats to stop someone who doesnt like that fact reporting you to immigration....and you will then be "invited" to leave the island with no return within a year

By the way you dont need a sponsor to set up a business..you just apply

Dips
Old Jul 31st 2015, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

Noobikes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Hairdressing

Hi serendipity,

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it and the word of warning 😉. I understand completely why the island needs to protect itself and respect it.

I have a few connections over there at the minute so will see what that throws up, I'd not work in any business without a visa- definitely too risky. But if I get bored might look at the business side.

Thanks again