Gym membership

Old Sep 12th 2013, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Bella27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gym membership

Hi, I'm moving to Barbados for 10 months this October and I would like to join a gym while I'm there that has group exercise classes (spinning, etc.). Does anyone have any recommendations? I've looked into Surfside Wellness Center, does anyone have any experience at that gym?

Thanks!
Old Sep 13th 2013, 6:44 pm

Serendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond reputeSerendipidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gym membership

Hi Bella

There are lots of options...Bajans love keeping fit...would need to know where you want your options to be near

Dips
Old Sep 13th 2013, 7:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Serendipidy View Post
Hi Bella

There are lots of options...Bajans love keeping fit...would need to know where you want your options to be near

Dips
Ah yes, I should have specified. I'm living in Prospect so I guess if there's anything on the West Coast or centrally located enough that it wouldn't be too long of a drive it would be preferable. Any suggestions you have would be great! Thank you.
Old Sep 20th 2013, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

david777 is an unknown quantity at this point

I absolutely, positively recommend Little League gym.

My fiancée and I have been lucky enough to stay down in Barbados for 2 months during winter several times over the past few years. We are fairly young (in our mid-30's) and like to stay fit. Or... at least try not to let too many magaritas get to the waist when we are down there.

There is a gym in Warrens that is nice, but in my opinion it's way overpriced. The staff also didn't seem that friendly when we went there.

There is another gym called Little League Gym. It's a tiny little gym, and when we went there we were the only foreigners that went to that gym. (That we saw, and we worked out Monday to Friday). But it was spotlessly clean and everyone there was absolutely super-nice. In fact, we made quite a connection with our trainer Trevor (he was a personal trainer there). Hands down he is the best personal trainer we've ever had.

We stayed on Batt's rock beach in prospect, and it's about 15 minute drive to the gym in the morning. The first time we went it was really hard to find, it's tucked away in a residential area. We had a cab driver take us the first time (okay... actually it was the second because the first time we tried to find it on our own and utterly failed). My advice is get a cab driver to take you the first time, and then you can find it when you drive there on your own.

The very first time you go you may be a bit uncomfortable (depending on your comfort level) in that it's in the interior by a few minutes and I think it's probably not at all popular with tourists. However, we absolutely love it there, and workout there every time we are on the island. I couldn't possibly give it a better recommendation. PS, they have spinning, and other classes too.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by david777 View Post
I absolutely, positively recommend Little League gym.

My fiancée and I have been lucky enough to stay down in Barbados for 2 months during winter several times over the past few years. We are fairly young (in our mid-30's) and like to stay fit. Or... at least try not to let too many magaritas get to the waist when we are down there.

There is a gym in Warrens that is nice, but in my opinion it's way overpriced. The staff also didn't seem that friendly when we went there.

There is another gym called Little League Gym. It's a tiny little gym, and when we went there we were the only foreigners that went to that gym. (That we saw, and we worked out Monday to Friday). But it was spotlessly clean and everyone there was absolutely super-nice. In fact, we made quite a connection with our trainer Trevor (he was a personal trainer there). Hands down he is the best personal trainer we've ever had.

We stayed on Batt's rock beach in prospect, and it's about 15 minute drive to the gym in the morning. The first time we went it was really hard to find, it's tucked away in a residential area. We had a cab driver take us the first time (okay... actually it was the second because the first time we tried to find it on our own and utterly failed). My advice is get a cab driver to take you the first time, and then you can find it when you drive there on your own.

The very first time you go you may be a bit uncomfortable (depending on your comfort level) in that it's in the interior by a few minutes and I think it's probably not at all popular with tourists. However, we absolutely love it there, and workout there every time we are on the island. I couldn't possibly give it a better recommendation. PS, they have spinning, and other classes too.
Oh, thank you so much! I haven't heard of that gym, it sounds great. Yes, I'm staying near Batts Rock Beach so it's good to hear that the drive isn't too far. I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the tip!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

david777 is an unknown quantity at this point

My pleasure. I'll give you one more tip... perhaps this one was just a personal thing. When we first went, I was used to working out in a very large gym here in Canada. Little League isn't too busy (I almost never have to wait to use anything) but sometimes you might have to ask someone to move to put a weight back or something. As silly as it sounds, I just didn't have my comfort level.

I really wanted to work out there though, so I decided to work with a personal trainer for a bit. The personal trainer we work with at Little League is Trevor. He's a tall rasta guy with about 1% body fat (after a big meal!).

When you go there, if you aren't finding it comfortable you might ask if you can work with Trevor for a few personal training sessions. The cost for training is much less in Barbados than it is in Canada. I can't remember how much, but it was a fantastic deal. More importantly though, he'll show you around, help you get comfortable, and he's an amazing trainer. If you work with him, tell him Dave from Canada referred you to him.

I'm in the process of purchasing a townhouse on the island (which is why I'm poking around the forum), and may be down there this winter (hopefully). Maybe we'll see you there! We usually workout around 9am Monday to Friday. Best of luck with your stay in Barbados.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

I think I understand what you're saying. I'm also used to working out in a pretty big gym in which you can be pretty anonymous so it must an awkward switch. Thank you for the advice about working with Trevor, I will definitely look into it. And I will tell him you sent me if I end up doing that!

Yes, let me know if you are down there this winter! I will be there through next August.

Thanks again!