Gluten/casein free foods

Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Auroramom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gluten/casein free foods

Hi - How easy is it to get gluten/casein free foods on Barbados, particularly bread? Also, are organic foods in good supply?
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gluten/casein free foods

Hi Auroramom,

I've noticed a fair amount of organic foods here (more than I would have expected).

There is a natural/herbal store in Btown called Jenn, which has a really good selection of herbals, supplements and harder-to-find foods like what you're looking for. I am not sure if they have casein-free foods specifically. But I've bought things like millet and quinoa there. Prices are a bit higher than I'm accustomed to paying, but that is to be expected.

Jenn also sells organic milk as well as soy milk, rice milk, almond milk (which I use), and goat milk.

HTH.
Foxy
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the info, Foxy.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

hi there,

i'm allergic to gluten so am alwasy on the lookout for gluten-free stuff. there is some choice in the Big Bs chain, but it's not great and rather expensive. oh, well - what can i so? as far as i can remember a box of crisp bread is about 13 dollars, a small loaf of bread over 20 (never bought it). i've tried some rice and corn cakes - also over 10 dollars per 'usual' packet. there is bread mix available as well (never bought it so i'm not sure about the price). apparently, it should be really easy to find tapioca here - a gluten free equivalent of flour made from cassava, which is available in all forms, but i've never managed to find any tapioca. maybe somebody can help with this one? :-)

hope that helps.
cheers,
M.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Mmm, thanks, M, that gives me 'food for thought' ('scuse pun here!). That does sound very expensive for a loaf of bread, particularly because I'm guessing it won't even taste that good! If anyone has eaten this stuff and can give a critique, please let me know. Thanks!
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

minisoufka is an unknown quantity at this point

the prices are in BB dollars, sorry if I confused you! :-)
Old Jan 9th 2009, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Foxy_fromCanada is on a distinguished road

You may want to try buying the ingredients instead, and making your own bread. I believe different types of flours are available at Jenn, and sometimes at some supermarkets.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

I thought you meant US dollars - thanks for clarifying!!
Old Apr 6th 2009, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

butterflysue1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have Coeliac's and the bajan diet is quite good for me! Although no macaroni pie or sweetbread. I'm quite lucky my neighbour grates Cassava for me and I get it in flour consistency. I make cakes and crumbles with that. GF things are exsorbitant prices here I never look. I do ask for food parcels from friends when they visit though. You can coat fish with cornstarch and make gravy with that which isn't too dear. I can also eat porridge and have no aftereffects and thats cheap enough. I believe there are alot of bajans with this problem thats un- diagnosed. Good luck!!